Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gaia versus Mininova... which one to buy?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaia versus Mininova... which one to buy?

Hi. I'm really wanting to buy a synth, and these two, the Gaia and the Mininova, seem to stand out as having the easiest user interfaces for novices like myself. I haven't found any threads dealing specifically with these two...

Can some of you chime in on how these two compare, what the pros and cons are, how the ARPEGGIATORS compare (the mininova seems to let you build your own or at least quick edit as far as I can tell, and the Gaia doesn't). Also, does the Gaia have a vocoder? And how many oscillators can you stack in the mininova (the Gaia does 3).

Any help comparing/contrasting the two would be great.

Thanks!

gaia is much more easier to use than the mininova. but it's also much more simple than the mininova.
    Give me my moog, but **** off you american techno rockstar! people in countries I've never been to do it better than you!

Computer Music Guide

Comment

Both are great and any one would provide much synth enjoyment.

Comment

Do not like the basic plasticky tone of the GAIA.
        Moe---It puts the SINES in the basket, or else it gets the hose again.http://www.hotrodmotm.com

Comment

The Mininova is far away a more powerful synthesizer than Gaia, and in my opinion, it sounds a lot better.

The thing I don't really like about the Mininova are the mini keys, which is why you might want to look at the Ultranova instead. Of course you could always trigger the Mininova with another controller via MIDI if you have one, but the Ultranova also gives you a built-in audio interface and a few other bonuses.

Mininova also has three oscillators per voice, as well as 14 filter types, 3 LFOs, 20 modulation slots, up to 5 simultaneous effects, and a nice collection of waveforms to choose from. I also like that Mininova includes its own software editor and patch librarian that will run as a DAW plug-in.

Gaia scores points with the amount of sliders available for easy programming, but the lack of a display is, in my view, a significant strike against it.

It's also important to remember that Gaia is not a true VA in the sense that it uses sample playback as opposed to waveforms generated in real time. This makes Gaia more akin to the SH-32 than to true VAs like the JP8000 and SH-201. You'll notice the difference as you pitch it down, and in many cases as you dial down the filter cutoff. Gaia "seems" to give you a lot of the same things that other VAs like the SH201 and JP8000 do, but if for example you were to try and modulate the width of a supersaw in real time on the Gaia, you'd find that since it's sample based you can't do it -- you're merely allowed to select between sampled variations of the supersaw.
          Kronos, Fant.G8, PC3X, K2500RS, A6, Q, M3-61, Fant.X7, Motif 8, EX5(x2), V-Synth, K2000(x2), D50, JD800, JD990, JP8080, XP30, MC909, MC505, JX-10, JX-305, TR-707, Juno 1, DR-202, Radias, Triton Pro, Wavest. SR, EMX1, ESX1, ER-1, EA-1, R3, Poly 800, RS7000, FS1R (x2), RM1X, AN200, DX200, QY70, QY100, K5000S, OB-12, Maschine,ASR10,ASR88,ASR-X Pro, EPS,Virus B, Equinox,E-Mu XL-7,MiniAK, Synthstation,X-Station, XioSynth,TG33,Venom,V50,UltraNova,Z1,Spark,Moog LP Stage II, JP8000,Tetra,Supernova 2.

Comment

How do you set the tempo on the mininova... such as for arpgeggios... the gaia has a tap tempo and the mininova does not... but is there a tempo select inside the nav-menu?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by bluesmandan
              View Post

Hi. I'm really wanting to buy a synth, and these two, the Gaia and the Mininova, seem to stand out as having the easiest user interfaces for novices like myself.

On that point for the hardware GAIA yes Mininova no

Many people are looking at the Mininova and thinking they are seeing a micro KORG patch build matrix... It is a live tweaking matrix and while it could tweak and save parts of a patch, you will probably end up on one parameter at a time of the display and data input. So really it is one to avoid if that kind of endless menu diving is not your thing.

For a PC user who wants to build patches on their PC and use the Mininova matrix editing for live sound effecting, the Mininova is very good. See it as a hard ware extension of a softsynth with great live controls then you understand it better.

On GAIA you don't need an editor, so don't worry that they do not send you the editor free, that is more an educational tool.

The GAIA in a sense is like owning a 64 memory Analog that benefits from external EQ and some effects (its default is bright so it needs some help for some sounds). You can also use the 64 onboard sounds (some are OK) and add yet more via USB 64 at a time. More than enough for that kind of thing.

View Post

I haven't found any threads dealing specifically with these two...

Can some of you chime in on how these two compare, what the pros and cons are, how the ARPEGGIATORS compare (the mininova seems to let you build your own or at least quick edit as far as I can tell, and the Gaia doesn't).

If you are more concerned about ARP building then don't bother with the GAIA. Start a fresh search including the PC patch build dependent Mininova

View Post

Also, does the Gaia have a vocoder?

No

View Post

And how many oscillators can you stack in the mininova (the Gaia does 3).

Any help comparing/contrasting the two would be great.

Thanks!

A picture is worth a thousand words:

世界で最高のシンセはmicroKORGにある

Comment

View Post

How do you set the tempo on the mininova... such as for arpgeggios... the gaia has a tap tempo and the mininova does not... but is there a tempo select inside the nav-menu?

Keyboard/performance controls

Pitch wheel (LED lit)

Modulation wheel (LED lit)

37 note keyboard with velocity

4x smooth edit/performance pots

1x large smooth filter pot

1x six position parameter selector switch

6x parameter indicator LEDs

8x three-colour, back-lit animate/arpeggiator/favourite patch-select buttons

2x animate/arpeggiate LED indicators

1x back-lit 'hold' button

1x animate/arpeggiator/favourite patch toggle switch

1x 'favourite' patch select button

1x arpeggiator tempo control pot

1x arpeggiator tempo indicator LED

2x back-lit arpeggiator control encoders

2x back-lit octave select buttons

You must visit here:

http://uk.novationmusic.com/hardware...specifications

世界で最高のシンセはmicroKORGにある

Comment

Gaia for interface, Mininova for sound. Or if you want fullsize keys, Ultranova. The Novations sound over 90000 times better, currently my favorite sounding VA's.

An old Nova/SuperNova might get you the sound (or close to it) with a good interface. I remember liking them but maybe the sound of the Mini/UltraNova is better. I also really do like the X-Station (and A/K- station etc.) and they have a great interface but they don't sound as good.

I really did not like the Gaia's sound which is weird as not only have I liked every other Roland VA, I even liked the SH-32 a lot more and it's basically the same engine as the GAIA. also the SH-32 even does some things the Gaia does not. and the Gaia is overpriced for what it is.

But whatever sounds good to you and inspires you, that's what really matters.
                  http://soundcloud.com/liliththekitten

Comment

In the present field of low cost VAs like the Korg R3 and UltraNova, it's just odd to me that Roland would set the price of GAIA so high. I just looked it up online to see what they're going for, and all of the major retailers are still asking $699.

GAIA would be a decent entry level synth if they blew them out at $299, but I just couldn't imagine paying $699 for something with sampled waveforms, cheap plastic, and no display. For that much money, you're getting up into Radias and Virus B territory, which is a whole other universe of sound quality and programming possibilities.
                    Kronos, Fant.G8, PC3X, K2500RS, A6, Q, M3-61, Fant.X7, Motif 8, EX5(x2), V-Synth, K2000(x2), D50, JD800, JD990, JP8080, XP30, MC909, MC505, JX-10, JX-305, TR-707, Juno 1, DR-202, Radias, Triton Pro, Wavest. SR, EMX1, ESX1, ER-1, EA-1, R3, Poly 800, RS7000, FS1R (x2), RM1X, AN200, DX200, QY70, QY100, K5000S, OB-12, Maschine,ASR10,ASR88,ASR-X Pro, EPS,Virus B, Equinox,E-Mu XL-7,MiniAK, Synthstation,X-Station, XioSynth,TG33,Venom,V50,UltraNova,Z1,Spark,Moog LP Stage II, JP8000,Tetra,Supernova 2.

Comment

Right now, with the various synths I have to work with, my immediate go-to is my X-Station. The reasons are many:

1. 3 discrete oscillators (as opposed to oscillators that are only good for reproducing the same sound over a number of keys)

2. knobbage and sliders

3. relatively shallow menus for on the fly editing of many parameters

4. great sound (IMHO) - not as rich and diverse as the Ultranova, though, which is my #2 go-to

The only shortcoming of mine is that it is the 24 and not the 48, but it was all I could get at the time and it fits nicely into a small suitcase I have so that leads me to

5. portability
                      SPAM - Korg Poly-800 w/ Moog Slayer mod $250 shipped CONUS
                      Spunkytoofers Rabbit Hole (circuitbent PS-2) $300 shipped CONUS
                      E-Mu Ultraproteus, power cord, good shape (minor rack wear) $225 + shipping
                      Roland S-10 sampler, power cord, manual, and disks, great shape $100 + shipping (I just don't have room for it)

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by liliththekitten
                        View Post

I really did not like the Gaia's sound which is weird as not only have I liked every other Roland VA, I even liked the SH-32 a lot more and it's basically the same engine as the GAIA. also the SH-32 even does some things the Gaia does not. and the Gaia is overpriced for what it is.

Agreed! Though I have to add that I was not too wowed by the SH-201 when I played one in the store, which led to my buying the Ultranova.
                        SPAM - Korg Poly-800 w/ Moog Slayer mod $250 shipped CONUS
                        Spunkytoofers Rabbit Hole (circuitbent PS-2) $300 shipped CONUS
                        E-Mu Ultraproteus, power cord, good shape (minor rack wear) $225 + shipping
                        Roland S-10 sampler, power cord, manual, and disks, great shape $100 + shipping (I just don't have room for it)

Comment

I would get the Ultranova instead of the mininova. It still costs less than the Gaia ($520 at bhphoto, has an audio interface built in, aftertouch, a decent display, vocoder, wave table sequencing in addition to VA, a software editor that can be used as a plugin in your DAW, and a patch librarian. If you are a preset user, Novation has sound sets to download for free on their web site. Gaia has more voices and hands on control, but I don't think package is as complete for the price. However some folks may prefer to play with the knobs and sliders. Also go out and try each one if you can.

I don't care for minikeys and would rather have just a sound module, but the minikeys must sell.

Novation X-Station was a fine synth and controller. I sold mine a short time ago because I have a pile of synths and it was not getting much use. The buyer got a very good deal. I have also owned the Novation Supernova 2 and liked it.
                          Gribs

...Music can be used to stimulate mass emotion, while mathematics cannot; and musical incapacity is recognized (no doubt rightly) as mildly discreditable, whereas most people are so frightened of the name of mathematics that they are ready, quite unaffectedly, to exaggerate their own mathematical stupidity.

G.H. Hardy in A Mathematician's Apology (London 1941).

Comment

Did you think the X-Station was a lot inferior to the Supernova sonically, Gribs? I'm asking because X-Station 49s have been going for less than 300 dollars and that's a very tempting price point.
                            http://www.reverbnation.com/christianschulze

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianRock
                              View Post

Did you think the X-Station was a lot inferior to the Supernova sonically, Gribs? I'm asking because X-Station 49s have been going for less than 300 dollars and that's a very tempting price point.

I owned an X-Station 49 which I liked a lot, but eventually sold it and got an UltraNova - mainly for the sound. For the kind of ambient music I do, the UltraNova has a more advanced synth engine and is capable of more interesting sounds and tweaking. Nothing wrong with the X-Station, but the UltraNova sounds better for my needs. I sold my X-Station 49 to a friend for $300, which was less than half of what I paid for it new.

Comment

Working...
                              X