Powered speakers for stage monitoring and PA use on small gigs. QSC/JBL/RCF/FBT ?

Binkeys

• Members

I'm considering buying a pair of powered speakers for use both as keyboard monitors as well as for PA use when playing wedding gigs with my band.

Currently, I'm using a 2 channel Acoustic Image amp. I like it for playing melodica through, and the built-in DI is a great way to have low-volume monitoring onstage while still being loud enough out on the floor.

So, ideally I'm looking for powered speakers that would replace this unit.

I'd like the following features, all of which the Acoustic Image has:

1) At least two inputs, preferably three.
2) built-in DI or at least a line out I can feed to the main PA.
3) Phantom power

I've heard good things about the QSC K series as well as some RCF's. JNL and FBT have also been referenced in conversations with local gigging musicians.

Any recommendations? What are you using in this capacity?

Thanks!

• Members

I'm using a QSC K12. I submix my multi-synth rig through a Yamaha MG102c, and from that either take the main out via balanced TRS to the QSC, or (more often) run the monitor output to the QSC and the main out my house feed through a Radial ProD2 Direct Box.

The QSC does a fine job with the high end of the Minimoog/Blofeld and the bass from the Taurus 3; I'm using the DEEP switch setting on the K12 because of the bass and no sub.

At the moment I'm using just the one QSC (budget reasons) and putting left and right into the two inputs on the one box; the plan is for potential PA use, to upgrade to a second and maybe add a sub too.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived