Local service facility - N. Cal

KingVidiot

• Members

My DW-8000 suddenly seems to be on the fritz. Not long ago I followed the famous repair link involving replacing the soldered battery and doing a reset/reload (sorry, don't have the address handy) and it seemed to be OK.

Now it's similarly screwed like before, so I want to take to a local synth shop. I had a D-50 repaired at CAE Sound before, but they were a little slow and pricey and also a little far away. It seems like they have their share of horror stories online as well.

Can anyone recommend another good local place in the Santa Clara Valley? The synth is in good shape otherwise, so I don't want to hunt for another one. I also don't want to spend too much since the boards are still pretty cheap on the market.

By the way, has anyone done the DW-8000 memory/function upgrade? If I get mine working again maybe it would be worth exploring. confused.gif

• Members

Very little output if any from key presses, and it's distorted. LEDs are a little odd as well. Reset/reload multiple times does nothing.

I really like this old beast, so if it's easy/cheap to fix I think it's worth it. Money is tight, but if has to go to a professional then so be it.

I don't have access now, but if I can get a recording I'll post it.

• Members

Thanks for the cool link. The site is full of interesting info and details on what he actually did on certain repairs, a rare treat. He has reasonable rates, so I will definitely contact him.

Small businesses like his are the best. I had my microscope fixed by a guy that works out of his home in Saratoga, and he was very professional and reasonable. We even sent a microscope from work to him after my positive experience.

Archived