Would you support a giant online keyboard comparison chart?

RetroVintageOld

• Members

Yes. Imagine having every model keyboard possible in a column on the left, and then colums for features like # of keys, dimensions, after-touch and so on in more colums. The chart would tell you at a glance which boards have which features. You would also be able to run searches. For example, you could look for every 88 key, weighted keyboard with user assignable controls under 30 LBS.

• Members

I think this might be difficult. You would definitely have to have the ability to add bullet points of text to be able to explain features, since not everything can be explained with only a table/list of parameters.

Two quick examples:

1. Sound ROM
Workstations sometimes have stored samples of various instruments, and the size of the "Sound ROM" could be a comparative parameter. However, some keyboards would have all Sound ROM dedicated to piano sounds, while workstations will have a hundreds of different instruments.

2. Keyboard action
You could have a parameters "no. of keys" and "action type" (piano, synth) but this might miss the quality of the action. Lower end keyboards have cheap actions/keybeds, while the pro keyboards have quality actions.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mate_stubb

View Post

Personally, I have passed beyond my "specs are what's important" phase. I'd much rather have a limited board that does a few things well and fits my notion of logical operation, than a do-everything-but-impossible-to-bond-with board.

Agreed. Besides, a chart with specs still doesn't say anything about the sound of a board. I'd much rather support a sound comparison. Say, raw waveforms with/without filters or something.

• Members

Personally, I have passed beyond my "specs are what's important" phase. I'd much rather have a limited board that does a few things well and fits my notion of logical operation, than a do-everything-but-impossible-to-bond-with board.

I'm with you. But some boards miss that one obvious thing. Like no expression pedal input on a Juno DI, or no reverb on an Electro 2.

• Members

This would be a good project with DokuWiki: free, simple, and powered by lots of extensions.

There are good synth sites out there, but not definitive by any means since they are not extensive. You could be the first. The now defunct Bluesynths probably was the most impressive but still limited in focus.

I would start with whatever specs you have in your manuals, and then other folks could join in. Much like Wikipedia you'll have to be vigilant to make sure the info is accurate. It's a lot of work but worth it.

I'm currently working on some biology sites that will fill an important niche (I hope).

• Members

"support" ? Maybe not financially... but I would help by inputing info from some equipment I own. I would prob tag it as a common site, cause I'm always seeing something for sale on CL or eBay (or this site) that I'm not familiar with... or like I was interested in a stage piano, and would search all the seller sites, but come across an older model that may not even be for sale on ebay at the time. Original and current used price would be good fields, maybe owner comments and ratings... definitely yes!

Archived