Who's built a Hackintosh?

akliner

• Members
wave.gif

Hello everyone. I'm looking into building a Mac Pro to run Logic 9, Komplete, and other software.

I'd like to get at least one solid state hard drive to run my NI stuff, and to run Logic so it all moves quicker.

Does anyone have experience building one?

I'd also like to pick someone's brain regarding specs.

Has anyone built a Hackintosh?

wave.gif

• Members

I have not built one - actually, I haven't tinkered with the insides of computers (except to add RAM) since I switched to Macs many years ago.

Doctor Google quickly gave me this site, however, and it looked like interesting reading.

Notice that it says, "Things go wrong with hackintoshes all the time." Yikes. I guess that's why most of us just end up paying Apple altogether too much money for bona fide Macs. My iMac (circa 2006) will soon be in need of replacing - a new 27" iMac is in my future (for $1,799). Groan. But they're great machines.

• Members

I built one using the Kakewalk system. Very pleased with it. I went for a mid spec setup. Quad core i5 with 8G RAM, 2X1Tb data drives and 64GB SSD.

Nothing has gone wrong with it so far but I always check the Hackintosh forums before allowing any updates to the OS.

I don't think that building one is illegal. It contravenes the EULA for the OS but that's not any kind of law.

• Members

I was going to build one, but after careful research it made more sense to go with a real Mac Pro laptop. The hassles with upgrades, different hardware drivers, and instability of Hackintoshes made it a turn-off. The new line of Macs is superior in appearance, sturdiness, and features including backlit keyboard, large bright screen, and thunderbolt.

Dell, ASUS, Sony, and the others are all copying the look of Mac laptops, but they are missing key features. My Mac is now running Bootcamp with Windows 7, and it is perfect. Watch out for Windows 8, it is garbage. I use Bootcamp for audio/music/VST and some 3D apps, but most of the time it's booted into Mac OS for daily stuff and some of the other audio/music and graphics stuff. When needed I launch a Windows session through VMWare Fusion, so I can do Mac and PC at the same time. I haven't touched my current PC laptop in a long time.

The ROI is much better for a real Mac. Also the answer to the legal question is based on the fact that most people are using premade Mac OS images (Iatkos, etc.) designed for Hackintoshes from torrent sites. Those are unlicensed (unpurchased) copies of Mac OS and that is illegal. If you want things to work well and have a killer piece of hardware just get a real Mac. Just remember to install virus/malware defenders on your Mac, so you don't unknowingly pass on more viruses to your PC friends.

• Members

Yeah, that's what I thought. Problem is with running Logic and Komplete and various other bits of software, along with graphics card needs for scoring film, my Macbook Pro takes forever.

I guess I could finance a Mac Pro, grab 3 24" monitors and keep my 32" LCD TV as a video playback monitor. I was just hoping for a more affordable machine.

eff this ess mad.gif

wave.gif

Thanks anyway, guys!

• Members

I've built one on an dell netbook (mini 10?) that ran both windows an ubuntu linux well. The hackintosh was definitely just that - a hack. It had issues I couldn't resolve with the wifi networking and other stability issues and I eventually just gave up. I never got around to running any music software on it because I never gained trust in the system.

Your experience may be quite different, as my hardware was obviously not the greatest.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by projectwoofer View Post
Isn't building a Hackintosh illegal?
No, Building the machine isn't since it's just generic hardware but use of the OS on non Apple hardware is a violation of the license agreement and thus 'technically speaking', illegal (plus, you probably did not pay for the OS so it's 'pirated' and thus also illegal). The hacking of the OS to make it run on the hardware is also probably a violation of the license agreement.
So all in all, once you add the Os to the hardware, it become illegal.
Of course, is anyone going to find out and then come after you for it is another question entirely (obviously does not happen since the popular hack sites are still there).

I looked into building on at one point but decided it just was not worth the effort. I'm more interesting in using computers as tools, not spending my spare time fixing the ruddy things (do enough of that at work).

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by 13ghostsofscoobydoo View Post
You could spec out a new Mac Mini to where it's very powerful and not too expensive.
This is what I'm doing right now. I'm buying the non-server Mac Mini from the Apple store with the faster processor upgrade and the SSD drives and RAM I'll add myself (much cheaper and better parts anyways). http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDMX6G120T/

Archived