Gananoque, the album

pogo97

• Members

I've called the album "Gananoque" because that's where I live and that's where the songs, explicitly or not, are placed. It may also encourage local merchants to carry it for tourists (we'll see about that!).

Here's the web page and here's the prototype package (CD jewel case):

CD%20-%20front%20cover.jpg

CD%20-%20%20back%20cover.jpg

Now I just have to figure out what to do with it. If I get, say, 100 copies pressed, where can I sell it online? And do any of you have experience with iTunes? CDBaby? Worth the trouble? Or should I find a local company to do the marketing?

• Members

I use CDBaby myself. After I copyrighted my tunes, I uploaded the tracks one by one to their website. Almost painless. I only offer digital downloads. I haven't done a jewel case design yet or had any actual CD's pressed yet so I can't help you much there. IIRC CDBaby is owned by DiscMakers, so if you want CD's pressed, they can handle that for you as well. The main reason I used CDBaby was they got me onto iTunes, Rhapsody, Amazon, and about 6-7 other digital markets that no one else did. That's been a few years ago now and I've really not done anything to promote my CD - other than posting links here and several other forums as well as Facebook. I'm no marketing expert, so not really sure what to do beyond "getting it out there". I also set up a Reverb Nation account as well thinking that might help promote it. I have noticed that has generated a bit of interest. I have gotten a few fans from Japan and other Asian countries through Reverb Nation so I guess it has let people hear it that wouldn't have under normal channels. Best of luck and let us know when/where we can hear it!

www.cdbaby.com/bradmize
www.reverbnation.com/bradmize

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by midinut View Post
... Best of luck and let us know when/where we can hear it!
Thanks for the info, Brad. I'll look into those. At least until it's possible to buy the songs, you can listen to any and all the songs in their entirety from the web page.

Also, if you notice any sound problems (I did my best but I lack studio monitors and the bass may be out of control) please let me know so that I can fix it before it gets set-in-stone.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ramkeys View Post
Thoroughly enjoyed your songs. Expected way more keys. Evoked a place laid back to the extent I have never experienced. So different from my lifetime of city/nightlife playing the hits. Richard
Thank you!! Exactly. This is my life in a small town. My reality.

Quote Originally Posted by BonsoWonderDog View Post
Diddy wah diddy what?
papa doo, silly! It's a commentary on the contextuality of meaning. Or just a song.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by wesg View Post
Congrats on the release!

I wonder how many people here besides me know how to pronounce Gananoque? I once heard Ga-nana-kew on the radio and almost PMSL.
My godmother, who was from Seeley's Bay (about ten miles from here), pronounced it Ga Na Naw Kwah, which drove my father crazy. But she also pronounced Athens "Aye-thens" and she grew up there. Silly woman.

I'm rockin' cross the walkway
of a bridge in Gananoque
Just a'headin' for the Purple House.

• Members

wow, really lovely music. Lovely voice too. Very acoustic, great recording quality (sounded like it was done professionally). And you can even hear your bird applauding you at the end of a couple of songssmile.gif

I would be shocked if this album doesn't sell; *at least* locally.

I wish you the best of luckthumb.gif

P.S: was near Ottawa a few days ago. Do you live close by?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mediterranean View Post
wow, really lovely music. Lovely voice too. Very acoustic, great recording quality (sounded like it was done professionally). And you can even hear your bird applauding you at the end of a couple of songssmile.gif

I would be shocked if this album doesn't sell; *at least* locally.

I wish you the best of luckthumb.gif

P.S: was near Ottawa a few days ago. Do you live close by?
Thanks, Med, much appreciated. We're about 90 minutes south of Ottawa.

• Members

Drive through that way about 5 times per year. My folks moved to Brighton and I'm Ottawa way myself (and historical my family is from the Brockville area though moved through Canada quite a bit in the early-mid 1900s).

"gahn-nah-knock-qwuai" is roughly how I'd pronounce it. smile.gif

I'll give it a listen.

Ever play at the Shelter Valley Festival? I've been meaning to make it down sometime.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Dingoist View Post
Drive through that way about 5 times per year. My folks moved to Brighton and I'm Ottawa way myself (and historical my family is from the Brockville area though moved through Canada quite a bit in the early-mid 1900s).

"gahn-nah-knock-qwuai" is roughly how I'd pronounce it. smile.gif

I'll give it a listen.

Ever play at the Shelter Valley Festival? I've been meaning to make it down sometime.
I was born in Brockville (my father was from Athens) and grew up in Ottawa. So there you go. Maybe we're related. I haven't been to the Shelter Valley Festival myself but my neighbour Dale goes every year and has always enjoyed it.

One of the reasons for the CD is to attempt festivals. Dale will be a useful advisor on this because he has been talent-picker for the Blue Skies Festival north of here.

Archived