Analog synth for performance

Chummy

• Members

just wondering what analog synth is for performance i am not talking about juno 60 or DX7 because those are probably harder to get for me. Anything newer that is in the shops? again, for the performing musician. thanks was just wondering.wink.gif

• Members

...not being the forum flaw detective here, but DX7 is not analog.
The word "shops" refers to a repair shop, I assume you meant store?
If its mono- go for a Moog- whatever, or its very good clone- the SE-1X
Most of the new TRUE poly analogs tend to be expensive, but I'd start with the Dave Smith models.
When you say performing, are you talking live? IF so, there are good modelers that in a live context would do very well, be a little cheaper, and probably more reliable.
IMO, the difference between an analog and a modeler is very subtle, and in some case indistinguishable in a live context.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mooginator View Post
IMO, the difference between an analog and a modeler is very subtle, and in some case indistinguishable in a live context.
Live is where analogue excels in my opinion. Modelers are fine in the controlled home studio enviornment. But once you get out into a big room with real drums and bass, all those great sounds disappear. I just find digital absolutely worthless for live performance. Analogue is a serious pain in the ass for gigging due to size, usually age, and reliability. But sonically, there's no comparison. I'd hate to be a gigging keyboardist in this day and age. No wonder audiences and other band members have such a low opinion of keys. Thousands of sounds at their fingertips, but no tone or ability to cut through the music.

For new, Prophet 08 and Little Fatty.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Chummy

View Post

just wondering what analog synth is for performance i am not talking about juno 60 or DX7 because those are probably harder to get for me. Anything newer that is in the shops? again, for the performing musician. thanks was just wondering.wink.gif

As Mooginator said, a DX7 is not analog. But as old, used gear goes, it's not hard to find, Yamaha sold tons of them, just check eBay. (OTOH, Mooginator was wrong in that a shop is also another word for store. ;-) ) But back to analog synths... What's the budget? Monophonic or polyphonic? Would you consider VA (virtual analog)?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by tspit74 View Post
No wonder audiences and other band members have such a low opinion of keys. Thousands of sounds at their fingertips, but no tone or ability to cut through the music.
Funny thing, I do actually see a lot of Little Phattys at concerts these days. Almost as popular as the Microkorg.

Even see a fair bit of Moog Voyagers and some Prophet 8s at various show. Even saw a Polyevolver at the last megafesty type show.

You know what time period sucked? 1995. Then, your choice of synthesizers was a bunch of knobless black boxes (programming on a small LCD screen, yeah!) with thousands of tinkly digital pad type sounds to chose from. Along with a dizzying array of "realistic" sounds that sounded like they came from a synthesizer. We've come a long way.

Little Phatty's name sucks, but it's a pretty good performance monosynth IMHO (despite a limited interface). Another option -- rawer sound, no presets, but more immediate access to everything -- is the Arturia Minibrute.

For analog polysynths, your choice is the Prophet 08, the Prophet 08, and the Prophet 08. (There are some more esoteric options, but I won't go there.)

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by soundwave106 View Post
Funny thing, I do actually see a lot of Little Phattys at concerts these days. Almost as popular as the Microkorg.

Even see a fair bit of Moog Voyagers and some Prophet 8s at various show. Even saw a Polyevolver at the last megafesty type show.

You know what time period sucked? 1995. Then, your choice of synthesizers was a bunch of knobless black boxes (programming on a small LCD screen, yeah!) with thousands of tinkly digital pad type sounds to chose from. Along with a dizzying array of "realistic" sounds that sounded like they came from a synthesizer. We've come a long way.

Little Phatty's name sucks, but it's a pretty good performance monosynth IMHO (despite a limited interface). Another option -- rawer sound, no presets, but more immediate access to everything -- is the Arturia Minibrute.

For analog polysynths, your choice is the Prophet 08, the Prophet 08, and the Prophet 08. (There are some more esoteric options, but I won't go there.)
I had a go on a Korg Prophecy in 1995 and I think you're wrong.

• Members

I used to tour with 2 rhodes chromas, I sampled all of the sounds I used, saved the life of my chromas ( and my tech's aching back) and I am 100% sure no one in the audience knew the difference. Its not as if there is an A/B comparison going on live during the show. The folks I am playing to listen to MPEG-3. As soon as the volume goes up, and you run thru a P.A., and the band is playing on top of you, all of the little subtleties that make up an analog are burried.

In a Pepsi challenge, Id take the Oasys or the Jupiter 80 over a Prophet 8 any day, in a live situation.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mooginator View Post
I used to tour with 2 rhodes chromas, I sampled all of the sounds I used, saved the life of my chromas ( and my tech's aching back) and I am 100% sure no one in the audience knew the difference. Its not as if there is an A/B comparison going on live during the show. The folks I am playing to listen to MPEG-3. As soon as the volume goes up, and you run thru a P.A., and the band is playing on top of you, all of the little subtleties that make up an analog are burried.

In a Pepsi challenge, Id take the Oasys or the Jupiter 80 over a Prophet 8 any day, in a live situation.
A sampler is another bag entirely from a digital synth. I'm in the process right now of building sample banks. Sure the samples have a little less sparkle than the original source, but it's close enough, and certainly doesn't sound "digital"

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by madprof View Post
I had a go on a Korg Prophecy in 1995 and I think you're wrong.
I had a Roland XP-50 at the time and I think he's right! icon_lol.gif

Man, if I knew then what I know now, I would've just bought an MPC to go with my Zoom 1202 and waited for the JP-8000 to be released.

Archived