What do I do with this synth keyboard/cabinet? Can I make it a midi controller?

tttablets

• Members

So I purchased a Synth Keyboard & Cabinet project from ebay, and .... I was wondering just what to do with it!
My thoughts were initially to turn it into a midi controller usb keyboard. But for that to work, I'm assuming I have to replace the keys, is that right? I've chopped up a midi keyboard to put in an old organ cabinet in the past, but that was a 49 key keyboard.

I'm having a hard time finding a 37 key midi controller, so I was wondering if there's a way of keeping the keys, but using it as a midi controller?

Either that, or what's the easiest way to make it a synth..? If there was a 37 key-keyboard with the longer keys I'd butcher that, but I can't even come up with something on that front.

Here's the item description :

... this is a three octave C to C keyboard removed from an organ & fitted into my DIY built cabinet made from alloy sheet with wood end cheeks it has a hinged front panel for easy access to mount parts inside. It was going to be used to build an analog synth from circuits at MFOS Web site or the PIC synth project but I decided to go the full way & build a minimoog clone instead (a lot bigger project) so I don't think I will ever get around to using this ! The cabinet is based on the PE minisonic the keyboard is a diode matrix type so would require some mod to convert to resistor chain for 1v/octave it has four rubber feet fitted, I was going to spray paint the alloy surface satin black for a more pro look, it has a small footprint for portability this is only of use to someone good with building electronic circuits etc ......

$%28KGrHqJHJDYFCC5idK9JBQpZ%29+fey!~~60_

• Members

If you're truly looking for a controller capabilities - why in the world would you spend the time and resources trying to retrofit MIDI functionality into a piece of antique hardware when equipment specifically designed to provide controller capability are available at such low cost? If you're all about restoration projects - knock yourself out.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
If you're truly looking for a controller capabilities - why in the world would you spend the time and resources trying to retrofit MIDI functionality into a piece of antique hardware when equipment specifically designed to provide controller capability are available at such low cost? If you're all about restoration projects - knock yourself out.
Same reason people paint guitars, re-house effects pedals/units, build model train sets...

106chromatic.jpg
micromoorg-final3.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by tttablets View Post
Haaa! For what it cost me, it's still worth it as a paperweight. Just bouncing back some positivity to you too ... x
Sorry if I came across negative. I didn't mean to piss in your corn flakes - it's simply a case of "to each his own". Moreso than any of the other forums I participate in - this forum has a tendency to attract posts from folks that are looking for what I would consider miserly cheap solutions - and who place what I often consider to be an unrealistic value on "vintage" gear.

All sorts of positivity to anybody who's looking at outdated and often marginally function "vintage" gear as a curator looking for a restoration project. .

However, as somebody who's all about the working "gig rig" - I can't help but be grossly underwhelmed with the idea of investing time and energy to retrofit legacy hardware with new functionality.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman

View Post

+1. You can purchase a 49 key Novation Impulse for about $250 on ebay. All the MIDI functionality you'll need and will work right out of the box. Unless you enjoy working on projects and getting all of the bugs worked out, I personally wouldn't bother spending the time. But at the end of the day it's your call.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by delaware dave View Post
+1. You can purchase a 49 key Novation Impulse for about $250 on ebay. All the MIDI functionality you'll need and will work right out of the box. Unless you enjoy working on projects and getting all of the bugs worked out, I personally wouldn't bother spending the time. But at the end of the day it's your call.
I know where you're both coming from, I do get that... I just don't like the look of say, a Novation Impulse. To me, that thing should be chopped up and placed in a box with aluminum and wood cheeks. biggrin.gif

It's nice too to confuse people in a gig situation as to what synth you're playing!

I think at the minute I'm considering I might attempt to chop up an Alesis Micron (!) and put that in there. I don't like the look of the Micron, but do like the sounds.
It's not as complex as it seems, and I think the sounds of the Micron would suit such a unit.
Or ............. !?

At the end of the day, I've got a nicely made shell with wood cheeks that reminds me of an MS-10 meets Moog Little Phatty. I can't NOT do something with it!

• Members
I think at the minute I'm considering I might attempt to chop up an Alesis Micron (!) and put that in there. I don't like the look of the Micron, but do like the sounds.
It's not as complex as it seems, and I think the sounds of the Micron would suit such a unit.
Sounds like a good idea to me. @%#$ the haters!!! icon_lol.gif Keep this thread updated with reports and pictures. I wanna see this thing.

Micron is a very cool synth. I miss mine and shouldn't have sold it. You might be able to also cannibalize and permanently connect some kind of knobby (non-usb) MIDI controller that can send NRPN messages to the Micron. That way you can have a little more hands on control on that front panel. Just an idea.

• Members
thumb.gif

If that diode matrix keyboard has simple key switch contacts, it should be pretty easy to change it to a CV keyboard. Just look at the schematic for the ARP Oddy or MiniMoog. But if it has those rubber dome carbon contacts, I think not.

You may already know about these, but

http://lividinstruments.com/hardware_builder.php

http://highlyliquid.com/hl2012/blog/1078

http://www.midibox.org/users/tor_arn...ugh/index.html

And there's lot's more sites with Arduino gizmos and such.

btw, I think the Novation Impulse is one of the more particularly handsome fellows among his peers. I'd chop up an old Midi-Man or something...

• Members
micromoorg-final3.jpg
This picture reminded me below thread started last year on a local forum:

http://www.muziktek.net/index.php?th...d%C4%B1.37565/ (in Turkish with a set of pictures)

Of course above picture should be "the original" due to below submit's date:

http://www.synthgear.com/2010/synthe...og-micromoorg/

P.S.: Good luck with your gear tttablets..

• Members

I was thinking of doing a similar thing. I want to gut my old Hammond M3 and putting in a couple of HOAX boards. Before you ask why, I want the look of the cabinet, the waterfall keys and the drawbars but not the added weight and 50 year old technology that will often need repair without a local tech to be found.

• Members

"often need repair?" - if your M3 is in good shape it certainly should not.

That said, about 1/3 of the M3's weight is in the manuals. If you want the waterfall keys, you're talking about hauling around at least 75 lbs worth of the organ (cabinet + manuals). The TG is not the only heavy part!

Archived