Vocal monitoring for keys players

Tullsterx

• Members

I don't like my monitors. I play keys and sing a lot and it's hard to get my monitor in a position that's not blocked partially by my keys. . . and I'm mainly concerned with vocal monitoring.

What do you guys use?

I would like to run a hot feed from our existing monitors to a pair of in-ear buds. . . like, right now I'm using a hot-spot, I'd basically like to replace my hot-spot with a simple wired in-ear system that had a pass-through (to the drummer's monitor). . . but, I'm having trouble finding something that simple. . . What am I missing? Does such a item exist?

• Members

I've had a Fender Passport for a few years now. It actually worked great for playing small clubs, restaurants and coffee shops. Although I've only personally used it live as a guitarist, I did play some gigs with my friend who ran his A-90 through it and it sounded very good.

• Members

I've had a Fender Passport for a few years now. It actually worked great for playing small clubs, restaurants and coffee shops. Although I've only personally used it live as a guitarist, I did play some gigs with my friend who ran his A-90 through it and it sounded very good.

• Members

I receive an AUX send from the FOH board that contains a mix of vocals, sax (and anything else I might not be able to hear on stage on a given night) - which I run through an available channel on my keyboard line mixer. I simply ensure that that channel doesn't get included in the keyboard submix that I send to the FOH board. I control the blend of keyboards vs monitor feed - and amplify through my keyboard monitors (a pair of Yamaha DSR112 powered speakers). It works great - overall stage volume becomes uncomfortable - I pop in my IEM ear buds and listen that way.

I love the setup - since I get to control the balance between my keyboards and the monitor feed. For me, it's just another selling point for going the keyboard submix route.

• Members

I receive an AUX send from the FOH board that contains a mix of vocals, sax (and anything else I might not be able to hear on stage on a given night) - which I run through an available channel on my keyboard line mixer. I simply ensure that that channel doesn't get included in the keyboard submix that I send to the FOH board. I control the blend of keyboards vs monitor feed - and amplify through my keyboard monitors (a pair of Yamaha DSR112 powered speakers). It works great - overall stage volume becomes uncomfortable - I pop in my IEM ear buds and listen that way.

I love the setup - since I get to control the balance between my keyboards and the monitor feed. For me, it's just another selling point for going the keyboard submix route.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post

This is how I do it too.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman

View Post

I receive an AUX send from the FOH board that contains a mix of vocals, sax (and anything else I might not be able to hear on stage on a given night) - which I run through an available channel on my keyboard line mixer.

Probably the preferred method but perhaps based on circumstances not always feasible. I've had success when the monitor is up on a stand as a 'side fill' a little above ear level. This also isn't always feasible.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman

View Post

I receive an AUX send from the FOH board that contains a mix of vocals, sax (and anything else I might not be able to hear on stage on a given night) - which I run through an available channel on my keyboard line mixer.

Probably the preferred method but perhaps based on circumstances not always feasible. I've had success when the monitor is up on a stand as a 'side fill' a little above ear level. This also isn't always feasible.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by delaware dave View Post
I can't imagine a circumstance where this would not be feasible. My DSR112s provide ALL my stage monitoring needs - so if I can hear anything out of them - I can hear everything out of them. I'm sitting with 2 12" speaks and 2 2" compression driver horns driven by 2,600 watts* worth of amplifiers - pointed at my head. If can't hear 'em - I'm deaf or something is definitely work!

* Yes, I realize the raw power ratings are fluffy once you factor in how the DSP works - but 2,600 watts is the nominal power rating.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by delaware dave View Post
I can't imagine a circumstance where this would not be feasible. My DSR112s provide ALL my stage monitoring needs - so if I can hear anything out of them - I can hear everything out of them. I'm sitting with 2 12" speaks and 2 2" compression driver horns driven by 2,600 watts* worth of amplifiers - pointed at my head. If can't hear 'em - I'm deaf or something is definitely work!

* Yes, I realize the raw power ratings are fluffy once you factor in how the DSP works - but 2,600 watts is the nominal power rating.

• Members

I guess he's referring to the Aux mix of whatever you need. We don't normally run anything but vocals in the monitors and just one monitor feed. I'll need to find another band to get an Aux feed of whatever I need. smile.gif (And I'm working on that) Plus we play a lot of small spaces. . .

• Members

I guess he's referring to the Aux mix of whatever you need. We don't normally run anything but vocals in the monitors and just one monitor feed. I'll need to find another band to get an Aux feed of whatever I need. smile.gif (And I'm working on that) Plus we play a lot of small spaces. . .

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SynMike View Post
I use a Rolls PM351 Personal Monitor Station.
So, with the PM351, can you take a HOT monitor feed and run it through, and run IE monitors from it? I don't want to plug my Mic into it. How do you have it set up?

I want to be able to take ANY monitor feed. . . say we're playing a festival and some third party is running sound, someone asks we where I want my monitor, I say "just give me the feed" and plug it into my in-ear system, and also have the ability to pass-through if necessary. Then I can adjust the volume and have some major limiting, which I'm sure I'll need. . . can the PM351 be a part of a system like that?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SynMike View Post
I use a Rolls PM351 Personal Monitor Station.
So, with the PM351, can you take a HOT monitor feed and run it through, and run IE monitors from it? I don't want to plug my Mic into it. How do you have it set up?

I want to be able to take ANY monitor feed. . . say we're playing a festival and some third party is running sound, someone asks we where I want my monitor, I say "just give me the feed" and plug it into my in-ear system, and also have the ability to pass-through if necessary. Then I can adjust the volume and have some major limiting, which I'm sure I'll need. . . can the PM351 be a part of a system like that?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Tullsterx View Post
That's not a showstopper in the least. If all you put into the mix is vocals (and I'm assuming other "accoustic" instruments like Sax, Trombone, Trumpet, etc.) - you've already got the mix I'm looking for. In these situations - I have the appropriate "Y" cable that will give me a slice of what ever feed it available.

Granted, I'd like the ability to be specific - but have no trouble whatsoever with simply grabbing a copy of whatever the generic monitor mix is.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Tullsterx View Post
That's not a showstopper in the least. If all you put into the mix is vocals (and I'm assuming other "accoustic" instruments like Sax, Trombone, Trumpet, etc.) - you've already got the mix I'm looking for. In these situations - I have the appropriate "Y" cable that will give me a slice of what ever feed it available.

Granted, I'd like the ability to be specific - but have no trouble whatsoever with simply grabbing a copy of whatever the generic monitor mix is.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by moogerfooger View Post
I have a splitter and mixer on stage. I split all my channels and then get a monitor feed from the FOH minus me, plus a house mix, and feed that into my stage mixer as well. mix to taste. I monitor via IEM system or a JBL eon if necessary
Just curious ... what product are you using for a splitter?

I'm also curious about the "monitor feed from the FOH ... plus a house mix". Are you getting two AUX sends from the FOH board? What's the rational for having both a monitor feed AND "house mix"?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by moogerfooger View Post
I have a splitter and mixer on stage. I split all my channels and then get a monitor feed from the FOH minus me, plus a house mix, and feed that into my stage mixer as well. mix to taste. I monitor via IEM system or a JBL eon if necessary
Just curious ... what product are you using for a splitter?

I'm also curious about the "monitor feed from the FOH ... plus a house mix". Are you getting two AUX sends from the FOH board? What's the rational for having both a monitor feed AND "house mix"?

• Members

I have a behringer splitter/mixer that sounds like what moogerfooger uses. Model MX882 I think. Quite flexible, a good choice for keyboard submixing. If only it had mic pres for Leslie mics, it would be perfect.

Archived