Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vocal monitoring for keys players

I don't like my monitors. I play keys and sing a lot and it's hard to get my monitor in a position that's not blocked partially by my keys. . . and I'm mainly concerned with vocal monitoring.

What do you guys use?

I would like to run a hot feed from our existing monitors to a pair of in-ear buds. . . like, right now I'm using a hot-spot, I'd basically like to replace my hot-spot with a simple wired in-ear system that had a pass-through (to the drummer's monitor). . . but, I'm having trouble finding something that simple. . . What am I missing? Does such a item exist?
    Check my band: SoulPlay - > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TH9-e4FmaE
    Key Rig: Alesis Fusion 8HD; Roland A-800 Pro; Toshiba i7 laptop running Cantabile VST host with IK Multimedia Total Workstation Bundle, NI Vintage Organs, Tyrell N6, Sylenth1, Imperfect Samples Walnut Concert Grand, NI FM8; Tascam US-1641 USB MIDI/Audio Interface; 2 x RCF Art 310-A MK III series monitors.

I've had a Fender Passport for a few years now. It actually worked great for playing small clubs, restaurants and coffee shops. Although I've only personally used it live as a guitarist, I did play some gigs with my friend who ran his A-90 through it and it sounded very good.
    Studio: Alchemy - Yamaha Mox6 - Roland Gaia - Plugiator - GSI Burn - VB3
    Live:
    Samson Graphite controller - SM Pro V-Machine - Mackie SRM 450 v3

Comment

I've had a Fender Passport for a few years now. It actually worked great for playing small clubs, restaurants and coffee shops. Although I've only personally used it live as a guitarist, I did play some gigs with my friend who ran his A-90 through it and it sounded very good.
      Studio: Alchemy - Yamaha Mox6 - Roland Gaia - Plugiator - GSI Burn - VB3
      Live:
      Samson Graphite controller - SM Pro V-Machine - Mackie SRM 450 v3

Comment

I use a Rolls PM351 Personal Monitor Station.

Comment

Comment

I receive an AUX send from the FOH board that contains a mix of vocals, sax (and anything else I might not be able to hear on stage on a given night) - which I run through an available channel on my keyboard line mixer. I simply ensure that that channel doesn't get included in the keyboard submix that I send to the FOH board. I control the blend of keyboards vs monitor feed - and amplify through my keyboard monitors (a pair of Yamaha DSR112 powered speakers). It works great - overall stage volume becomes uncomfortable - I pop in my IEM ear buds and listen that way.

I love the setup - since I get to control the balance between my keyboards and the monitor feed. For me, it's just another selling point for going the keyboard submix route.
            The SpaceNorman

www.facebook.com/SuperstarsOfRock
            www.souldoutrocks.com

Keyboards and Tone Generators: Yamaha CP300, Kronos 88, Roland AX Synth, Motif ES Rack
            Keyboard Rack: Samson SM10 Line Mixer, Motu MIDIExpressXT MIDI Interface, Shure PSM200 IEM system, M-Audio Wireless MIDI, Live Wires IEM ear buds, iPad wOnSong.
            Stage Amplification: Stereo via 2 Yamaha DSR112s

Comment

I receive an AUX send from the FOH board that contains a mix of vocals, sax (and anything else I might not be able to hear on stage on a given night) - which I run through an available channel on my keyboard line mixer. I simply ensure that that channel doesn't get included in the keyboard submix that I send to the FOH board. I control the blend of keyboards vs monitor feed - and amplify through my keyboard monitors (a pair of Yamaha DSR112 powered speakers). It works great - overall stage volume becomes uncomfortable - I pop in my IEM ear buds and listen that way.

I love the setup - since I get to control the balance between my keyboards and the monitor feed. For me, it's just another selling point for going the keyboard submix route.
              The SpaceNorman

www.souldoutrocks.com

Keyboards and Tone Generators: Yamaha CP300, Kronos 88, Roland AX Synth, Motif ES Rack
              Keyboard Rack: Samson SM10 Line Mixer, Motu MIDIExpressXT MIDI Interface, Shure PSM200 IEM system, M-Audio Wireless MIDI, Live Wires IEM ear buds, iPad wOnSong.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman
                View Post

This is how I do it too.
                My Live Gear: Roland FA-08, Hammond SK1-73, Moog LP
                My Band: http://www.bksband.com

Comment

View Post

I receive an AUX send from the FOH board that contains a mix of vocals, sax (and anything else I might not be able to hear on stage on a given night) - which I run through an available channel on my keyboard line mixer.

Probably the preferred method but perhaps based on circumstances not always feasible. I've had success when the monitor is up on a stand as a 'side fill' a little above ear level. This also isn't always feasible.
                  '57 Hammond B3; '69 Hammond L100P; Hammond XM2/XMc2; '68 Leslie 122; Motion Sound Low Pro/Pro 3T; Neo Vent; Kurzweil PC3; Generalmusic Equinox 88 Pro and 76 key versions; Voce V5+; EV ELX112P; '67 Howard Combo Organ; http://www.dyinbreedband.com

Comment

View Post

I receive an AUX send from the FOH board that contains a mix of vocals, sax (and anything else I might not be able to hear on stage on a given night) - which I run through an available channel on my keyboard line mixer.

Probably the preferred method but perhaps based on circumstances not always feasible. I've had success when the monitor is up on a stand as a 'side fill' a little above ear level. This also isn't always feasible.
                    '57 Hammond B3; '69 Hammond L100P; Hammond XM2/XMc2; '68 Leslie 122; Motion Sound Low Pro/Pro 3T; Neo Vent; Kurzweil PC3; Generalmusic Equinox 88 Pro and 76 key versions; Voce V5+; EV ELX112P; '67 Howard Combo Organ; http://www.dyinbreedband.com

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by delaware dave
                      View Post

I can't imagine a circumstance where this would not be feasible. My DSR112s provide ALL my stage monitoring needs - so if I can hear anything out of them - I can hear everything out of them. I'm sitting with 2 12" speaks and 2 2" compression driver horns driven by 2,600 watts* worth of amplifiers - pointed at my head. If can't hear 'em - I'm deaf or something is definitely work!

* Yes, I realize the raw power ratings are fluffy once you factor in how the DSP works - but 2,600 watts is the nominal power rating.
                      The SpaceNorman

www.souldoutrocks.com

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by delaware dave
                        View Post

I can't imagine a circumstance where this would not be feasible. My DSR112s provide ALL my stage monitoring needs - so if I can hear anything out of them - I can hear everything out of them. I'm sitting with 2 12" speaks and 2 2" compression driver horns driven by 2,600 watts* worth of amplifiers - pointed at my head. If can't hear 'em - I'm deaf or something is definitely work!

* Yes, I realize the raw power ratings are fluffy once you factor in how the DSP works - but 2,600 watts is the nominal power rating.
                        The SpaceNorman

www.souldoutrocks.com

Comment

View Post

I guess he's referring to the Aux mix of whatever you need. We don't normally run anything but vocals in the monitors and just one monitor feed. I'll need to find another band to get an Aux feed of whatever I need. (And I'm working on that) Plus we play a lot of small spaces. . .
                          Key Rig: Alesis Fusion 8HD; Roland A-800 Pro; Toshiba i7 laptop running Cantabile VST host with IK Multimedia Total Workstation Bundle, NI Vintage Organs, Tyrell N6, Sylenth1, Imperfect Samples Walnut Concert Grand, NI FM8; Tascam US-1641 USB MIDI/Audio Interface; 2 x RCF Art 310-A MK III series monitors.

Comment

View Post

I guess he's referring to the Aux mix of whatever you need. We don't normally run anything but vocals in the monitors and just one monitor feed. I'll need to find another band to get an Aux feed of whatever I need. (And I'm working on that) Plus we play a lot of small spaces. . .

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by SynMike
                              View Post

So, with the PM351, can you take a HOT monitor feed and run it through, and run IE monitors from it? I don't want to plug my Mic into it. How do you have it set up?

I want to be able to take ANY monitor feed. . . say we're playing a festival and some third party is running sound, someone asks we where I want my monitor, I say "just give me the feed" and plug it into my in-ear system, and also have the ability to pass-through if necessary. Then I can adjust the volume and have some major limiting, which I'm sure I'll need. . . can the PM351 be a part of a system like that?

Comment

Working...
                              X