OT: Recommend acoustic foam for project studio

k2500x

• Members

What do you guys use? Is it worth paying extra for Auralex?

My room size is about 10'x14' without any acoustic treatment.

I've noticed when playing my keyboards the bass gets very boomy depending on the note I'm playing and when singing I get very strange frequency reverberations on some takes. Obviously I need some acoustic absorption foam, and I'm tempted by the prices of some discount ebay sellers like 8 bass traps for $35, etc. Is it safe to go this route? Does it matter what kind of glue I use? Will the glue ruin my white painted walls?

• Members

Foam does not retain the lower frequencies which are the ones that cause the most trouble; it can actually make the problem worse by absorbing the highs and mids while leaving the lows resounding freely in your room.

There's a wealth of information here, and the search function there works, too, unlike the one here at HC...

• Members

Foam does not retain the lower frequencies which are the ones that cause the most trouble; it can actually make the problem worse by absorbing the highs and mids while leaving the lows resounding freely in your room.

Wow, posts like that make me nervous! So companies that are selling foam like Auralex, are they selling a lie? It doesn't work?

I just want a (relatively) simple solution that will help curb some of my frequency problems. I don't need perfection. I have gotten by with nothing until now. But from the sounds of it, it almost seems like I'd be better off doing nothing? What about one of these portable vocal booths? http://www.editorskeys.com/portable-vocal-booth-home-version-soundbooth.html

Any other suggestions?

• Members

On the cheap, one can use the large panals of dense foam sound insulation that Home Depot carries. Perhaps covered with some fabric of whatever choice. Qtuners suggestions is also very good for budget method. For pro level I find this the best Ive been around, Available in various sizes and packages http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MTAP2440%20%204PKBUR

• Members

Wow, posts like that make me nervous! So companies that are selling foam like Auralex, are they selling a lie? It doesn't work?

There's no lie involved. Acoustic foam works great. You just have to be careful and use it only for its intended purpose. High frequency sounds are easily absorbed by lightweight material such as acoustic foam.

If you want to absorb low frequencies, then you'll need something much, much more massive. Heavy vinyl sheeting or even lead sheeting is sometimes used in industrial applications. I'm not recommending that to you; it's just an example to show that regular acoustic foam isn't a magic cure-all for the entire frequency spectrum.

Another way of killing low frequencies is to 'trap' the sound waves and cause them to cancel themselves out. The trap needs to be constructed and placed according to specific rules which I know nothing about. But there's a lot of information out there if you feel like digging for it.

Check out the web site for Sound On Sound (SOS) Magazine. Every month they do a makeover of a home studio. They've demonstrated how to build bass traps using very inexpensive materials.

• Members

The panels you can hang from the wall sound like a nice solution. Plus avoiding the glue will make my gf quite happy. Can I be sure these will help tame my frequency problems? There are a few ebay sellers:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATS-Acoustic-Panels-for-Home-Theater-or-Sound-Studio_W0QQitemZ220576810453QQ

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/Acoustic-Sound-Treatment-6-Panels-ASCPRO_W0QQitemZ130373309133QQ

Plus the audiophile link above. Anyone have experience with these guys? Do these also work for bass frequencies?

• Members

Bass traps for the whole room, not a simple thing. Some people report that a fabric covered couch, or a bed if its a bedroom, do a good job absorbing the bass. Find someone with 'golden ears', that does not sell acoustic products and services, and get their opinion. See if a local sound company will rent you some traps to try out.

Just a thought, but I've seen some acoustic foam items that fit on a mic stand, and curve around the microphone, controlling the room sound by semi-isolating the mic. It's an interesting idea.

The general idea with foam is to reduce and break up reflections, so more of the direct sound is heard. If you do decide to tweak the sound of the room in general, the best deal going is Markertek.com, a vendor of video production supplies. Their foam is available in sheets, tiles, and traps that go in room corners. The difference from more expensive foam appears to be the fire rating. Don't use too much and deaden the room. Good luck!

• 2 years later...

Archived