Emu Ultra EOS 4.61 & 4.7 Needed

Napalm

• Members

Sup guys, I'm looking for a working copy or original version of both Emu Ultra Version EOS 4.61 & 4.7... The one's listed at Emu.com and most sites have invalid copies of both... Please tell me I'm not SOL!!

I have an Emu Ultra E6400 with a very old EOS 4.10 installed... My RFX-32 Effects Card is locking her up with that version...

Could anyone help a brother out :confused:

• Members

napalm - check out Emus On Acid and look in the Files section. They have most of the EOS revisions, and I just tested the download links (they are working). They are .ZIP files for the PC, so make sure you can access those kinds of files. If not, you might check their forum to see if anyone has any idea of how to do that from a Mac.

I run 4.7 on my E5000 Ultra (with RFX and ADAT cards) and have not had any issues, but some people have experienced lockups and rolled back to 4.61. I pretty much have to stick with 4.7 because of the 40Gb IDE drive inside...

Anyway, let me know if that link worked for you or not.

Thanks!

bax

• Members

Really appreciate the response Bax... Here's the problem: I install the Ultra Prep Flash Disk, burn it to flash, then when attempting to load 4.61 or 4.7 nothing happens... It just goes straight to 4.01 and bypass the disk altogether... This is why I'm assumming that the files posted at Emu and other sites are invalid... So my question is what is the proper procedure in doing this?

I cannot figure out why after loading the Prep Disk, that it doesn't see the OS afterwards :confused:

I'm also wondering if this is the reason the Unit locks up when installing the RFX Card with 4.01 installed?

• Members

Hmmm...not sure about that. I did also have a problem getting even the flashprep disk image made, so I had to use the Emu E-Loader and push the EOS image over across MIDI...talk about slow, but it worked for me. I was only going from 4.61 to 4.7 though, and I'm not sure if that method will work on an older version of EOS or on the e6400 Ultra. You'll probably just have to download it and try it (the software is about 9Mb compressed so I hope you're not on dialup :D )

Here's the link to E-Loader 1.1 for PC . It is almost impossible to find unless you really know where to find it (under the MP-7 downloads on the Emu official site, and nowhere to be found with the samplers...go figure!) Anyway, you might try that and see if it will allow you to flash those EOS images to your sampler (with or without using flashprep). Like I said, it worked for me without flashprep but that might have been because I had a newer EOS to start with.

Good luck, and if that doesn't work, try the forums at EmusOnAcid - those guys are pretty knowledgeable and willing to help if you've already covered the obvious bases and are just flat-out stuck...

Thanks!

bax

• Members

Oh, another thing I seem to recall is that the RFX card has been linked to lockups on units that have a shoddy or overloaded power supply... Do you have an internal hard drive? If so you might want to disconnect it for a while (or move it to an external case if you can) and try using the sampler that way for a while to see if it eliminates the lockups...

Again, check out the EmusOnAcid forums and search for RFX and power supply or something along those lines. There's quite a bit of info over there, although you'll probably have to sift through a lot of threads to come to terms with the nuggets of truth. I was pretty worried about running mine with full RAM and all the options but I haven't blown it up yet ;) Since the repair thing is almost an impossible situation to deal with either with Emu or third parties (no available parts any more) you might also look on eBay for a cheaper plain-jane e6400 that you could use for some spare parts (power supply, LCD, etc.). I'm seriously considering getting anther e5000 for that very reason...

Anyway, I hope that helps somewhat...

bax

• Members

I didn't have any problem loading 4.61 into my E6400 Ultra (a great machine btw ;) )

If I'm not wrong, no flash erase disk is needed when loading 4.61 - If the floopy drive doesn't respond at all on startup than check for the wire connections.

Don't use any OS above 4.62 as the beta 4.7 doesn't work well and makes reading/writing to disk extremely slow - also if you use the FAT system using 4.7 you can't go back to 4.6 and read them... I gave it up and stayed with the 4.61 which is much less problematic.

BTW, I don't think this is the case with the E6400 Ultra (not in mine anyhow), but in case there's only 1MB of OS ROM available (I think this is the CPU ROM), you won't be able to get higher than EOS 3... you need at least 2MB

• Members

E-MU units made before a certain time had to have a service center do a warranty replacement of the transformer or power supply. If you still have your RFX paper work, it states the dates. If you don't, I will take a look around for mine and let you know what they were.

I think this might be the cause of your problems.

• Members

Originally posted by gilwe

I didn't have any problem loading 4.61 into my E6400 Ultra (a great machine btw
;)
)

If I'm not wrong, no flash erase disk is needed when loading 4.61 - If the floopy drive doesn't respond at all on startup than check for the wire connections.

Don't use any OS above 4.62 as the beta 4.7 doesn't work well and makes reading/writing to disk extremely slow - also if you use the FAT system using 4.7 you can't go back to 4.6 and read them... I gave it up and stayed with the 4.61 which is much less problematic.

BTW, I don't think this is the case with the E6400 Ultra (not in mine anyhow), but in case there's only 1MB of OS ROM available (I think this is the CPU ROM), you won't be able to get higher than EOS 3... you need at least 2MB

Nice info, really appreciate all of the help... I'm thinking this system is just outdated internally... The reason I need 4.7 was to have all the benefits of the new RFX Presets...

• Members

Originally posted by Big Fish

E-MU units made before a certain time had to have a service center do a warranty replacement of the transformer or power supply. If you still have your RFX paper work, it states the dates. If you don't, I will take a look around for mine and let you know what they were.

I think this might be the cause of your problems.

Thx for the response and heads up... I've decided to replace this E6400 with an E4XT Ultra instead...

Cheers guys :)

• 7 years later...

Archived