sustain pedal for Ensoniq KS-32 - not working

ler660

• Members

Hi,

I have an Ensoniq KS-32, with a sustain pedal plugged into the footswitch jack.   Followed the instructions in the manual, using the System-MIDI menu to set the FtswR to SUSTAIN pedal, using the Ensoniq SW-6 pedal.   

It is backwards, meaning with the pedal UP it sustains, and pushing it down stops the sound.   There is no polarity switch on the pedal.  There are no instructions in the manual regarding flipping the polarity within the keyboard.  

Anyone have any ideas?   There's nothing I hate more than when the simplest operation like this doesn't work....    :X

Thanks alot,

T

• Members

Some keyboards can autodetect on power-up. If you haven't tried it already, power-down your Ensoniq, make sure the footswitch is plugged in, THEN turn on the Ensoniq and see if it's not backwards anymore.

If it's still backwards, and there's no settings option to reverse it, then you're pretty much stuck with having to get a different foot switch. Most of them these days have a little switch on them to change the "polarity". (I say polarity, but that's not what it really is, you know what I mean, though.)

• Members

delaware dave wrote:

Go here:

The adapter above will reverse the polarity of the pedal.

No, it won't:

"Q: Will this adapter fix polarity problems in sustain pedals?
 A: Unfortunately, no.  Part of the problem comes from two definitions of pedal "polarity."  In expression pedals, "polarity" refers to the wiring between the connections of the variable resistor in the pedal.  In most sustain pedals, "polarity" refers to how the switch contacts inside the pedal react when the pedal is pressed; some pedals short the signal wire to ground if pressed, others un-short this connection.  Our adapter cannot fix this problem, and we do not know of anyone who makes an adapter to swap sustain pedal polarity."

Archived