Met "The Father Of MIDI" - Dave Smith (Sequential Circuits) last night

Karma1

• Members

I attended the GRAMMY Nominee Celebration sponsored by the San Francisco Chapter of the Recording Academy last night with my good friend, keyboardist Steven Halpern who is nominated in the New Age category. Dave Smith was there and was honored for being the recipient of the 2013 Technical GRAMMY Award. Really cool to see him be recognized after all the years of groundbreaking work he's done being a primary developer of MIDI (30 years ago this year!) as well as the Prophet 5 and the many innovative electronic instruments since then. I got to chat with him briefly and am looking forward to a new product announcement that will be revealed at the NAMM Show coming up soon. Very cool!

• Members

Karma1 wrote:

I attended the GRAMMY Nominee Celebration sponsored by the San Francisco Chapter of the Recording Academy last night with my good friend, keyboardist Steven Halpern who is nominated in the New Age category. Dave Smith was there and was honored for being the recipient of the 2013 Technical GRAMMY Award. Really cool to see him be recognized after all the years of groundbreaking work he's done being a primary developer of MIDI (30 years ago this year!) as well as the Prophet 5 and the many innovative electronic instruments since then. I got to chat with him briefly and am looking forward to a new product announcement that will be revealed at the NAMM Show coming up soon. Very cool!

:catvery-happy:

A great contribution, and well done to Dave. Good that they also recognize Midi's importance after all these years...

It is still going strong!!!

• Members

That is very nice.  How long have technical Grammy awards been given?  It surprises me that it has taken this long, unless the technical Grammy awards are 30 years behind innovations.

On another note, I am very excited about the hints on DSI's Facebook page suggesting that there might be a new product announced at NAMM.  I wonder if it will be a replacement for the PolyEvolver.  I received an Evolver desktop unit in a trade a few weeks ago and have just been stupified at my idiocy for not trying one all these years.  That little box, which can be had used for a song, is capable of creating some of the most interesting soundscapes I have ever made in a monosynth.

Archived