Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kurzweil PC361: First impressions of a new owner

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setup mode: these sounds confused me. I almost expected to find them blank, all ready to put together some layers, splits, etc. of my own. But there are quite a few pre-programmed sounds in there. Are they meant to be useful or just to demonstrate how to use setups? They seemed random and not completely "finished." In some, drum loops and arps start randomly, and don't follow the chords I'm playing. Sections of the keyboard are sometimes blank. Maybe this is one of those moments when I'm carrying over expectations from previous synths, but I expected the arps to match the chords I was playing, and to "hold" (continue) when I lift my hands, etc. More like Triton Combis? It's not a big deal. This arranger-type stuff isn't what I need or will use them for. But maybe I'm missing something about them?

The more you read about SETUPs, you will understand the great flexibility it brings to all your gear.
    Unfortunately, documentation on how they are supposed to work at the preset level is a little light.
    Essentially, you will find that you are going to spend more time editing and finding out how a particular SETUP works and integrating into your own SETUP. Things like the ARPs can be a little confusing for new Kurzweil owners, as they can be set up to track your finger playing, or triggered like a step sequencer.
    The "arranger" type stuff is their showing you possibilities. If you are gigging with splits you may not really see the need for this type of stuff. Kurzweil call them "RIFFs" and they are a powerful feature on the PC3 series. The Riff could be a sequence you want to trigger on another piece of gear, stacked with the PC3, or the PC3 itself. They can be set up to trigger on and off on various keys and or with buttons/pedals. The ARPS are programmed not to hold, but you can program them to hold.

What I suggest you do to fast track your Kurzweil knowledge, is focus on a few SETUPs that have your interest, and ask more detailed questions about them. That way you won't have "It should work like this?" and "Why is it like that?" moments. But you will have moments thinking how deep the thing is.

Get in amongst the various Kurzweil based communities and short circuit the learning curve.
    C O W Z A R - - - > Mastering V.A.S.T FORUM

Comment

The more you read about SETUPs, you will understand the great flexibility it brings to all your gear.
      Unfortunately, documentation on how they are supposed to work at the preset level is a little light.

Kurzweil owner's manuals are, at best, often vague.
      Too many keyboards, not enough music.

Comment

Strange why this is still $1895 at MF.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/kurzweil-pc361-performance-controller

Comment

Strange why this is still $1895 at MF.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/kurzweil-pc361-performance-controller

Talk about strange: this got no bids!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&n ma=true&item=260962174935&si=6d%252FiqNS05BJvzH66F biQTQbZvmY%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AWN A%3AUS%3A1123&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
          "I remember when dubstep was just called "LFO-Locked-Filter-On-Square-Wave-Bass-Synth" in the '60s" - Alan Parsons

Kurzweil PC3♦Alesis Fusion 6HD♦Alesis Quadrasynth+Piano (3)♦Alesis QS7.1 (2)♦Alesis QSR♦ Alesis S4+♦Alesis DMPRO♦Evolution MK-461C♦Rhodes Mark II Stage 73♦Roland JX-8P♦Kawai K1 & K1m♦

Comment

Anyone has any comments about the PC3's KB3 mode? I am interested in that and how it stacks up to the latest Nord B3 emulation?

TIA,

aL
            www.Six30Jam.com

http://www.youtube.com/six30jam

Nord Stage
            Nord Piano 88
            Kurzweil PC361
            Numa Organ
            Yamaha An1x

Comment

Anyone has any comments about the PC3's KB3 mode? I am interested in that and how it stacks up to the latest Nord B3 emulation?

TIA,

aL

It's very good from a tone standpoint, but the Leslie sim remains its weakness IMO. Kurzweil has made some tweaks to improve it in the latest OS releases, but there is still a noticeable difference next to my Kronos' CX-3 sim or my Ventilator.
              Keyboards: Roland Fantom G6 (2); Korg Kronos 61; Muse Receptor VIP; Nord Electro 3; Privia PX-350Guitar Stuff: Route 101 Solimar; Line 6 POD X3 Live, Pocket POD (2)

Comment

Kurzweil owner's manuals are, at best, often vague.

I feel quite the opposite -- I think they're some of the best manuals (I also really like Ensoniq's manuals) I've read. For the PC3 series you'll probably want to add the K2661 Musician's Guide and Musician's Reference to your reading list, as well as the KSP8 manual (for its more in-depth descriptions of the effects algorithms), as the PC3 manual doesn't have in-depth descriptions of all of the DSP algorithms, individual effect blocks, or FUNs.