Excacly in what areas of Music is math applied?

bob moog

• Members

Exacly In what areas of Music do you think  math is applied? and it what area do you think math is more heavily used?  

This is a very open question becuase it can cover from the music it self or a piano tunning person , the fisics of sound etc 

• Members

Well i guess it all depends on how specific you get. There's probably a crazy amount of math in the engineering, electronics, and design of things like electric instruments amps, and mics. Lots of math involved in the crafting of instruments with measurements, ratios, and proportions. And i'm not much of a computer person, but there could be math involved in the coding of DAWs.

And there's the simple and obvious places like counting time, or the values of notes.

The school i'm going to has a math class, and i was told they try to apply all the gen-ed courses to music, so the math class will supposedly be heavily tied into music, but they were vague on the how.

• Members

Writing harmony can be a thoroughly mathematical process. The intervallic relationships between notes (in western classical tonal music) defines what sounds concordant/discordant. Metrical placement of notes within bars is also mathematical, as note duration is usually based upon subdivision of note lengths within the constraints of a given time-signature. On a broader level, structural division within a piece of music can also be mathematically proportional.

• Members

bob moog wrote:

Exacly In what areas of Music do you think  math is applied? and it what area do you think math is more heavi
ly used?  

This is a very open question becuase it can cover from the music it self or a piano tunning person , the fisics of sound etc 

In what area of music isn't it applied ?

From tuning, to frequency, to time signature, modality, polyrhythms to the fundamental nature of sound itself and the way we discribe the mathematical modelling of physical instruments through to the entire modern recording process and back again.

It's abit like asking what part of the observable universe do you think math is applied to ?

Kind of a silly question to ask really (IMHO)

Archived