Yamaha MX--new board leaks in Europe

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Something like the 49-key version could be a great portable synth to bring to my office on slow days, or to throw in the trunk when traveling. I have been using my trusty ol' Korg Micro X for that, but the number of keys is just too small. I wonder how much more lightweight these are as compared to the MOX6?

• Members

Looking at the picture it appears to have the same type of key bed as the MM6:

http://www.zikinf.com/_gfx/matos/dyn...yamaha-mm6.jpg

Anyone know if they are flex hinges like Korg or proper sprung pivots?

UPDATE... looks like all PSR and up to the MOX have plastic flex hinges:

http://allguitarrepair.com/wp-conten...a-YPG625a3.jpg

http://www.beckettsmusic.co.uk/shop/...dproduct=15843

http://motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/461370

Oh well...

• Members

I don't think that it qualifies as a workstation- doesn't appear to sport a built-in sequencer.

But Yamaha has one very radical design feature on this board---- note that the model number is displayed vertically on the front panel. Every other synth that I can think of has a horizontal model number. This is groundbreaking stuff.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mildbill

View Post

I'd like to see low priced rack units with these types of specs make a return, instead of so many keyboards.

I agree. It's odd that it looks like this 49-key keyboard with most (all?) of the XS sounds and 128 polyphony will be far cheaper than the Motif Rack XS. I'm wondering if it might even be lighter than the rack's 9.3 lbs as well! The rack does have things like assignable outs, probably a more capable fx structure, maybe higher quality DACs, I don't know, but a lower cost sound module would be welcome.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by piano39 View Post
But Yamaha has one very radical design feature on this board---- note that the model number is displayed vertically on the front panel. Every other synth that I can think of has a horizontal model number. This is groundbreaking stuff.
original.jpg

Bravo, sir. B R A V O!!!

• Members

Rough Euro and Pound prices:

Yamaha MOX 6 - 1045 euros = 843 British pounds sterling
Korg Krome 61 - 990 euros = 799 British pounds sterling
Yamaha MX 61 - 699 euros = 564 British pounds sterling
Yamaha MX 49 - 499 euros = 402 British pounds sterling
Yamaha MM 6 - 444 euros = 358 British pounds sterling (

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
It will be interesting which target market as that will affect the ARP's they have kept in.
If the MX is a MOX without ARPs or sequencer, that would be a great board. Personally, I've never had any use for an ARP or an on-board sequencer. But I suspect the MX is missing quite a bit more than that. Right off, I can see the display is smaller, there are half the knobs, there are fewer buttons... there seems to be more missing than could be accounted for by the absence of SEQ/ARPs alone. Which I guess would not be surprising considering that it's a third cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
If not then it looks a little pricey against the Krome given it's cut down interface.
And 30% less than the Krome is still a pretty significant chunk o' change (and I suspect that many of the Yamaha sounds will be stronger, if we are still comparing, for the most part, Motif XS sounds to M50 sounds, which seems like it might be the case, apart from pianos/EPs and drums).

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by AnotherScott View Post
If the MX is a MOX without ARPs or sequencer, that would be a great board. Personally, I've never had any use for an ARP or an on-board sequencer. But I suspect the MX is missing quite a bit more than that. Right off, I can see the display is smaller, there are half the knobs, there are fewer buttons... there seems to be more missing than could be accounted for by the absence of SEQ/ARPs alone. Which I guess would not be surprising considering that it's a third cheaper.

And 30% less than the Krome is still a pretty significant chunk o' change (and I suspect that many of the Yamaha sounds will be stronger, if we are still comparing, for the most part, Motif XS sounds to M50 sounds, which seems like it might be the case, apart from pianos/EPs and drums).
The Motif XS sound set (whilst I am more in to synthi sounds) does seem to be strong. I can see allot of people going for the MX49 if the synth engine is not compromised in some way. A good editor will in some ways make up for the reduced interface. It's small size is very handy too. cool.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard

View Post

A good editor will in some ways make up for the reduced interface.

It will be interesting to see if it is compatible with any of the iPad apps Yamaha makes for the MOX (or if there will be comparable apps released). Lots of people already own iPads, and even if you don't, the price difference between an MX and a Krome can pretty much cover it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherScott

View Post

It will be interesting to see if it is compatible with any of the iPad apps Yamaha makes for the MOX (or if there will be comparable apps released). Lots of people already own iPads, and even if you don't, the price difference between an MX and a Krome can pretty much cover it.

A PC editor would be more important to me. If they do make it iPad related then sure, lets hope they throw in as much as possible, I just hope they do not do it at the expense of a PC editor

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by AnotherScott View Post
I'm having a similar thought about whether it could replace my Microstation.
i've been laughed at for wanting a 49key rompler. i just couldn't see myself using microkeys. my main board is now one roland 37key rompler (sk88) and an emu xboard49 + tr rack. really covers everything I need. the MX49 would be way way more convenient than the xboard+tr rack. easier to setup on stage, easier to carry (car, flight, motorbike even)

having audio in, u can connect your other keyboard, and just use one analogue out on stage. boasting "lightweight" in bernard's photo, im pretty sure its under 6kg.

want !!!!

Archived