• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Korg DSS-1 upgrade finished - 16MB RAM, 1.44 MB FD, USB, & more

complete details:

http://web.me.com/tomvirostek/DSS-1/DSS1.html

Some of the new features include:
    -16MB of memory (64 banks)
    -USB file storage with subdirectories (FAT file system for easy PC transfer)
    -more comprehensive diagnostics
    -ability to assign sliders to program parameters
    -ability to have all 4 systems from floppy (A-D) in memory at once
    -up to 64 multisounds at once (instead of 16)
    -128 programs at once (instead of 32)

Future planned software improvements include portamento, OS updating from USB flash drive, WAV file import and more. Stay tuned....

If you have a DSS-1, this is a no brainer IMHO.

-Mc

• tvirostek
    replied
    My old web address is no longer valid, thanks to the termination of Mobile Me. My new address is http://www.straylightengineering.com

I've started shipping the new kits, so if you're interested, or want to buy an already modified unit (currently 4 available), send me an email at tomvirostek@mac.com. I've also had to raise the installation fee from $50 to $100 (to do just the boards) or $150 (to do the whole instrument). It's a time consuming process that's impossible to do in one hour.

Leave a comment:

• bloopbleep
    replied
    I'm having GAS for one of these bad boy

Leave a comment:

• tvirostek
    replied
    I've started making the boards again. The first batch of new pcb's arrived this week and, time permitting, will be ready in a few weeks. My time is a lot more limited than before, so delivery will be slow initially. Send me a PM if you're interested.

-Tom

The new kit is $250 plus $50 for installation, unless you want to do it yourself. New LCD or Floppy drive not included.

Leave a comment:

• The Real MC
    replied
    I'm pretty anxious for this upgrade too

Leave a comment:

• sprinklerhead
    replied
    Thanks, been waiting for this for awhile.

Leave a comment:

• Awake77
    replied
    I wish I would have jumped on the 1st run! I bought my DSS when I learned of this upgrade...the beast sounds so good, I'm looking forward to the new features!

Leave a comment:

• Mediterranean
    replied
    For anyone interested, I just heard from the developer via email. Apparently he's hoping to resume work on the new upgrade boards soon.

Thank you for the info. I may be interested in getting that for my DSS-1

Leave a comment:

• Awake77
    replied
    For anyone interested, I just heard from the developer via email. Apparently he's hoping to resume work on the new upgrade boards soon.

Leave a comment:

• Awake77
    replied
    Any update on the new board revision? I know Tom has had his hands full.

Leave a comment:

• sprinklerhead
    replied
    Any news on these?

Leave a comment:

• tvirostek
    replied
    I've stopped work on the new boards. Too many issues with the new USB and floppy controller. Jim has not had time to deal with these issues.

However I've done a different design, which is a smaller board that plugs into the stock factory DSS-1 CPU board. It is more work to install (instead of simply doing a board swap) but it will be less expensive and use all the same parts as the original mod.
    The boards are being manufactured now. I should be seeing them by early July.

Sorry for the delays, between the issues mentioned above, new job, baby, etc. I haven't had much time to work on the project. I haven't given up yet though.

I also have clones of the ASR-10 and EPS16 SCSI boards available, as well as the DI-10 digital IO board for the ASR-10 available.

Leave a comment:

• juno6
    replied
    Any news about the new boards?

Leave a comment:

• Lord Toranaga
    replied
    I may be interested.
    I will know more by mid may

Leave a comment:

• imissthewar
    replied
    Mine's still for sale...still asking the $495 but I'll throw in shipping via Fed Ex. When I bought it, shipping from Tom to me was about $60. I'm also selling a DW-8000 as well....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X