Collapse
No announcement yet.

Korg DSS-1 upgrade finished - 16MB RAM, 1.44 MB FD, USB, & more

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i didn't know there were midi controllers other than the kenton control freak (and spin doctor?) that work with such rudimentary midi.

has anyone tried the behringer bcr2000 with a dss-1?

if so, is there a sysex patch for it out there, or is it easy enough to create one? and can you do a clean manual filter sweep over sysex or is it all digital-stepped like the joystick sweep? even so, it'd be nice to have instant access to the vca's, cutoff, resonance, and ddl levels on one slider/knob box.

I have created DSS-1 Sysex profiles for both the Kenton Control Freak and the Peavey PC1600. They are available as downloads on my DSS-1 Resource Site. Yes, since those 2 came out, there have been others like the Behringer BCR2000 that can also send proprietary sysex. I think someone out there has already created one for the Behringer BCR2000, you might want to check the DSS-1 Yahoo Group. The Doepfer Drehbank is another sysex-capable unit (64 knobs!) albeit an expensive choice.

Yes you can do clean filter sweeps on a stock DSS-1, it's been mentioned already by chroma in this thread. The only reason you can't sweep it clean on the joystick is not because the resolution isn't there, but because the joystick is a crude controller. But use a knob/slider on a BCR2000 or PC1600 or Control Freak, and you get much more tactile and smooth control of the cutoff. This is easily done by going into DSS-1 patch settings: set the joystick pitchbend value to 0 and then assign the joystock to filter cutoff. Then, assign a knob/slider on your MIDI controller to send the Pitchbend MIDI message to the DSS-1.

The Pitchbend MIDI message does not cause stuttering noise on a stock DSS-1. However, accessing all other params via MIDI sysex causes stuttering noise when holding down a note and effecting the change in real-time. This DSS-1 modification/upgrade apparently solves that problem.
    Korg Z1, Yamaha Clavinova CLP-350, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M, Arturia CS-80V, VAZ Modular, co-author of MinimogueVA and Arppe2600va.

Comment

I investigated both of these flaws, and here are the results:

1) The architecture of the DSS-1 is that there are two microprocessors. The upgrade replaces CPU 1 (formerly an Intel 8085) with a NEC V40. CPU 1 is the main processor, while CPU 2 handles scanning the keyboard, sliders, and joystick, and setting the analog control voltages. To date, the second CPU's code has not required any changes. Unfortunately, to get the cutoff parameter to update in real time (other than the work around already mentioned) would require a code change to CPU 2. This is not likely to happen.

2) I believe that the 'stuttering noise' is fixed with the new CPU and the way that interrupts are handled.

3) Portamento will be included in version 4.0 of the code.

Are there any other bugs or features that I should look at?

-Jim

While playing with the DSS-1, I started thinking it would be nice if loop start could be modulated, by an MG for example. The most obvious use for this would be PWM. Imagine a 50% pulse wave padded with extra values for the negative duty cycle past the loop end (diagram below). By modulating the loop start (with a fixed loop length), PWM could be achieved. I wouldn't say no to other modulation sources (like the VCF EG) or the ability to modulate loop start without a fixed loop length.

Comment

has anyone tried the behringer bcr2000 with a dss-1?

I did one for the DW-8000, DSS-1, and DVP-1. I still have to create them for some other Korg gear but I'll see if I can find my DSS-1 .sex and post it.

-Mc
        Response from John from American Musical Supply on why I have received 2 used/damaged Korg M3's and 1 reboxed M3 from Guitar Center (a.k.a. why I'll never buy from AMS again): Footfall wrote:What you're experiencing with these units is the result of our warehouse crew intentionally "overpacking" this product.Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, nanoPAD 2

Comment

While playing with the DSS-1, I started thinking it would be nice if loop start could be modulated, by an MG for example. The most obvious use for this would be PWM.

For true PWM, see Glen's Tips page here:http://www.glenstegner.com/dss1/tips_pwm.htm

-Jim

Comment

For true PWM, see Glen's Tips page here:http://www.glenstegner.com/dss1/tips_pwm.htm

-Jim

I know that trick, and it's a clever one. But it would be great to do it by modulating loop points for a few reasons -

* It would be possible to use samples which have an attack transient before the PWM loop.

* Osc 2 could be set entirely independently of Osc 1 to achieve this affect, layered with a string sample, whatever.

* The effect is also useful for a variety of other things, including modern "glitch" effects (especially with a fixed loop end).

Maybe this feature is not possible? But if it is possible, I think people would have no problem finding useful and novel applications for it.

Comment

With a fixed loop length, and a reasonable implementation, this could be used for primitive wavetable synthesis. But you really need better envelopes for that, and that's starting to ask too much

Comment

HOLY ****************!

I'm glad I hung onto mine!

Comment

I know that trick, and it's a clever one. But it would be great to do it by modulating loop points for a few reasons -

* It would be possible to use samples which have an attack transient before the PWM loop.

* Osc 2 could be set entirely independently of Osc 1 to achieve this affect, layered with a string sample, whatever.

* The effect is also useful for a variety of other things, including modern "glitch" effects (especially with a fixed loop end).

Maybe this feature is not possible? But if it is possible, I think people would have no problem finding useful and novel applications for it.

Moving the Loop Start would not be a problem, but moving the Loop End would cause problems.
                  The DMA engine would eventually miss the end of the loop and continue incrementing into unknown memory.
                  That would be very bad.

-Jim

Comment

Moving the Loop Start would not be a problem, but moving the Loop End would cause problems.
                    The DMA engine would eventually miss the end of the loop and continue incrementing into unknown memory.
                    That would be very bad.

-Jim

I take it the issue is that the loop end pointer could be moved such that it references an address in memory lower than (or otherwise "before") the playback address.

If that is the case, is there a way to control that so the loop end pointer is only updated on loop restarts?

Comment

• I take it the issue is that the loop end pointer could be moved such that it references an address in memory lower than (or otherwise "before") the playback address.

If that is the case, is there a way to control that so the loop end pointer is only updated on loop restarts?

You are exactly correct, that is the problem.

The gate arrays that contain the DMA address registers do not allow for the CPU to read back the playback address.
                      If they did, I could just have the software avoid the problem.
                      I could modulate just the Loop Start fairly easily, but that would change the pitch of the sound, so that probably isn't very useful.

-Jim

Comment

• Wait... I thought on your page you said you had to recreate the gate arrays, too... couldn't you add that capability? oke:
                        Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.

Comment

• So... it seems there are no DSS-1's on the 'Bay right now. Not that I'm looking or anything...
                          Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.

Comment

• There's a few on Craigslist...
                            http://www.reverbnation.com/christianschulze

Comment

• Oh? Either I suck at search, or there's none near me.
                              Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.

Comment

• No, not near you. I usually do a nationwide list and try my best to guess if the seller is legit. That's how I got my EX-8000, some guy from Ohio shipped it to me.
                                http://www.reverbnation.com/christianschulze

Comment

Working...
                                X