Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

God I want one *sniff*
    DRAEGON band website...
    ...and the myspace page

New Album, "Hold Back The Night", now available! See website or myspace for details

Comment

Glen, You may be in luck. I just started looking at implementing Portamento, and I think I have it figured out. I kind of got distracted adding all the USB and flash memory stuff. The current version of the software allows for updates to the flash memory via the USB drive, so once I am satisfied with the code, any existing upgrades can load the latest software version quite easily.

Another new feature that may be of interest to you is that you can load individual sounds from standard WAV format files off the USB drive. The only restrictions is that they must be mono and be one of the four sample rates that the DSS-1 supports.

Also, copy any system file (on the USB drive) to "DEFAULT.DS1", and that system will load at power up - no more waiting for slow floppy drives.

-Jim

Jim, EXCELLENT WORK! You are breathing a lot of new life into this old beast! Yes I do find the expanded PATCH memory per bank to be a great improvement, as well as the increased speed and quietness of loading samples into memory.

Here are 2 last things I can think of that would be great fixes:

1. The cutoff parameter does not work in real time; you have to re-trigger a note to hear the change. As a former DW-8000 owner, I noticed that the DW never behaved this way.

2. You get 'stuttering noise' when you alter parameters via external MIDI control, like using a MIDI slider box (which I do). This is another thing that the DW-8000 did correctly but the DSS-1 does not. Maybe there is something in the OS that is preventing the DSS-1 from doing this quietly.

Man, if portamento were added and these 2 above flaws ironed out, I will be right on this upgrade.
      Korg Z1, Yamaha Clavinova CLP-350, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M, Arturia CS-80V, VAZ Modular, co-author of MinimogueVA and Arppe2600va.

Comment

1. The cutoff parameter does not work in real time; you have to re-trigger a note to hear the change. As a former DW-8000 owner, I noticed that the DW never behaved this way.

You can sort of do this.... set the pitch bend range to 0, and then route the pitch bend to cutoff. Then you can tweak it in real-time without any issues. Just in case you weren't aware of that, maybe you already knew....

Comment

You can sort of do this.... set the pitch bend range to 0, and then route the pitch bend to cutoff. Then you can tweak it in real-time without any issues. Just in case you weren't aware of that, maybe you already knew....

Yup, I'm well aware that - in fact I am able to control cutoff this way by using a slider on my PC1600 that sends pitchbend MIDI message to the DSS-1 - much better than using the joystick, which doesn't sweep smoothly due to the center-detent position, and won't stay where you put it due to the spring-back motion.

However, by enabling the cutoff param to do this, you'd be able to control cutoff in realtime directly on the DSS-1 using one of its own data sliders, instead of needing external hardware.
          Korg Z1, Yamaha Clavinova CLP-350, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M, Arturia CS-80V, VAZ Modular, co-author of MinimogueVA and Arppe2600va.

Comment

Jim, EXCELLENT WORK! You are breathing a lot of new life into this old beast! Yes I do find the expanded PATCH memory per bank to be a great improvement, as well as the increased speed and quietness of loading samples into memory.

Here are 2 last things I can think of that would be great fixes:

2. You get 'stuttering noise' when you alter parameters via external MIDI control, like using a MIDI slider box (which I do). This is another thing that the DW-8000 did correctly but the DSS-1 does not. Maybe there is something in the OS that is preventing the DSS-1 from doing this quietly.

Man, if portamento were added and these 2 above flaws ironed out, I will be right on this upgrade.

I investigated both of these flaws, and here are the results:

1) The architecture of the DSS-1 is that there are two microprocessors. The upgrade replaces CPU 1 (formerly an Intel 8085) with a NEC V40. CPU 1 is the main processor, while CPU 2 handles scanning the keyboard, sliders, and joystick, and setting the analog control voltages. To date, the second CPU's code has not required any changes. Unfortunately, to get the cutoff parameter to update in real time (other than the work around already mentioned) would require a code change to CPU 2. This is not likely to happen.

2) I believe that the 'stuttering noise' is fixed with the new CPU and the way that interrupts are handled.

3) Portamento will be included in version 4.0 of the code.

Are there any other bugs or features that I should look at?

-Jim

Comment

Are there any other bugs or features that I should look at?

-Jim

The only major gripe any of us have really had is the proprietary disk OS. Is there ANY possible way for you to read DSS-1 native disks and write in DSS-1 format *OR* a PC compatible DOS format? If you're reading/writing to USB drives, I would think that's possible.

Once we get the USB feature and someone converts all of the current libraries to USB format, it may be a moot point but I'm curious...

-Mc
              Response from John from American Musical Supply on why I have received 2 used/damaged Korg M3's and 1 reboxed M3 from Guitar Center (a.k.a. why I'll never buy from AMS again): Footfall wrote:What you're experiencing with these units is the result of our warehouse crew intentionally "overpacking" this product.Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, nanoPAD 2

Comment

The only major gripe any of us have really had is the proprietary disk OS. Is there ANY possible way for you to read DSS-1 native disks and write in DSS-1 format *OR* a PC compatible DOS format? If you're reading/writing to USB drives, I would think that's possible.

Once we get the USB feature and someone converts all of the current libraries to USB format, it may be a moot point but I'm curious...

-Mc

Unlike the SCSI drive, the USB drive is always in DOS format, complete with sub-directories. Much of that functionality is thanks to the Vinculum module. Also, individual sounds (on the USB drive) are in standard WAV format, so you can import and export the samples. The system and Multisound files are still in DSS-1 internal format for speed in loading (via DMA).

I expect someone to compile the entire DSS-1 sound library into a neatly organized directory tree, which can be distributed as a zip file and extracted onto a USB drive on any PC. Then you won't even need any floppies. I also expect people to make use of the expanded memory and create larger multisounds that won't even fit on a floppy.

The steps to convert an entire floppy are:
                1) System F1, "Get System", device Floppy, "All"
                2) System F2, "Save System", device USB, ,

It really doesn't get any easier than that.

-Jim

Comment

Did I tell you how awesome you are?

SWEET.

-Mc
                  Response from John from American Musical Supply on why I have received 2 used/damaged Korg M3's and 1 reboxed M3 from Guitar Center (a.k.a. why I'll never buy from AMS again): Footfall wrote:What you're experiencing with these units is the result of our warehouse crew intentionally "overpacking" this product.Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, nanoPAD 2

Comment

Did I tell you how awesome you are?

SWEET.

-Mc

Seconded! Very, very nice work, sir. You're making me GAS for one of these again.
                    Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.

Comment

I

Comment

i have a dss-1, and this mod sounds like a godsend. tom, do you charge extra for installation onto a board (if i take the boards out and send them to you)?

on to the issue that keeps me awake at night...

is there any way to install potentiometers for the filter cutoff and res (a la moogslayer mod on the poly 800)?
                        i opened up my dss 1 and located two(?) 2069 chips (on board klm783), and i read here :http://www.sounddoctorin.com/synthtec/korg/njm2069.htm
                        that pins 13 and 14 control cutoff cv and pin 4 controls res cv. but what is confusing to me is that there are TWO 2069 chips, when my ex800 only has one. and no trim pots on the board near the filter, so it looks like one would have to solder directly onto the pins of the chip. also, any clue on what type of resistor/power supply line to put where to supply voltage to the potentiometers? the power supply in this thing looks really huge and scary. any help here would be much appreciated...and if you can solve this puzzle, your name will go down in mod history! scary to think of ruining a dss-1 just trying to pot knobs on it, but it would be so much more useful with tactile control over the filter.

Comment

please don't do that. instead, get something like a pc1600x or a bcr2000, set up the knobs to send sysex to the dss-1 to do any controls you desire. Sounds like with the new mod this will work better than before, but you can already do this today.

Comment

i have a dss-1, and this mod sounds like a godsend. tom, do you charge extra for installation onto a board (if i take the boards out and send them to you)?

on to the issue that keeps me awake at night...

is there any way to install potentiometers for the filter cutoff and res (a la moogslayer mod on the poly 800)?
                            i opened up my dss 1 and located two(?) 2069 chips (on board klm783), and i read here :http://www.sounddoctorin.com/synthtec/korg/njm2069.htm
                            that pins 13 and 14 control cutoff cv and pin 4 controls res cv. but what is confusing to me is that there are TWO 2069 chips, when my ex800 only has one. and no trim pots on the board near the filter, so it looks like one would have to solder directly onto the pins of the chip. also, any clue on what type of resistor/power supply line to put where to supply voltage to the potentiometers? the power supply in this thing looks really huge and scary. any help here would be much appreciated...and if you can solve this puzzle, your name will go down in mod history! scary to think of ruining a dss-1 just trying to pot knobs on it, but it would be so much more useful with tactile control over the filter.

It would be much more challenging to do this mod for the DSS-1. There are 8 NJM2069s, one for each voice.

Comment

MIGHT make sense to do something like this for a DSM-1 rack though... it has better multitimbral support (so you could constrain a patch to a single voice, for instance), and it doesn't have any resonance support by default. (A DSM-1 would actually be a decent replacement for a DSS-1 if it had resonance... well, and sync, but the DSM-1 has only a 1 osc/channel architecture, so not sure how that would work... i never used the bit depth reduction all THAT much, and, well, though the DDLs are REALLY nice, I've got other effects I can use)... pretty sure I have heard of that being done before...

Comment

thanks for the info!

i'm very new at this, as you can tell. i've had the convenience of modern (but usually crappy) midi and usb since i started, and never had a need to know.

8 2069 chips is enough to discourage me from even entertaining the idea. i will sleep soundly now.

i didn't know there were midi controllers other than the kenton control freak (and spin doctor?) that work with such rudimentary midi.

has anyone tried the behringer bcr2000 with a dss-1?

if so, is there a sysex patch for it out there, or is it easy enough to create one? and can you do a clean manual filter sweep over sysex or is it all digital-stepped like the joystick sweep? even so, it'd be nice to have instant access to the vca's, cutoff, resonance, and ddl levels on one slider/knob box.

Comment

Working...
                                X