Collapse
No announcement yet.

Korg DSS-1 upgrade finished - 16MB RAM, 1.44 MB FD, USB, & more

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think of the DDS-1 as a hybrid analog synth but instead of simple VCOs it uses 12 bit samples.

So it's in the same family as Kawai K3M, Ensoniq ESQ-1/SQ-80, and Korg DW8000.....right ? Except is uses actual samples, in lieu of PCM.....
    HW Synths/Keys:QS Plus Piano w/Vintage Card, CLP-820, Kurz PC2X, Wavestation SR, Matrix 1000, TX81Z, MKS-50, Alpha Juno 2 , Korg TR-Rack, EMU Proteus 2K, ESQ-1, TG_77

SW-Synths: B4II, Elektrik Piano, Akoustik Piano, MinimougeVA, FM-8, Pro-53, Massive, Absynth, OP-X, SuperWave P8, and about a zillion others

Hardware-Other: MOTU Express XT, WaMi Rack 24, M-120, Behringer Virtualizer, Behringer PMP2000, American Audio Passive PA speakers

SW: CWPA 9.0, Sonar HS 6.0

Comment

Does it have audio in?

Comment

Does it have audio in?

Well, um, it's a sampler, so I should damn well hope so..... Kinda serious design flaw if it had come without.
        Selected Gearlist: Yamaha PSR-760, 3 meter long Hosa stereo cable (jack to phono).

Comment

Once I get the upgrade installed, I'm going to redo *all* of the sample libraries so it'll be a simple file structure on a single USB thumbdrive. DD floppies suck!

The additional RAM, HD floppy, and other things not officially announced are worth every but of the $329 he's asking.

-Mc
          Response from John from American Musical Supply on why I have received 2 used/damaged Korg M3's and 1 reboxed M3 from Guitar Center (a.k.a. why I'll never buy from AMS again): Footfall wrote:What you're experiencing with these units is the result of our warehouse crew intentionally "overpacking" this product.Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, nanoPAD 2

Comment

Sorry, I meant audio in as in audio in that can modify a signal source using the unit's filter, for instance.

Comment

Glen Stegner runs the DSS-1 resource site which has a lot of info on it. (I believe Glen all was involved in the MiniMogueVA soft synth which is excellent if you haven
              Vive La Synthesizer!

Comment

Sorry, I meant audio in as in audio in that can modify a signal source using the unit's filter, for instance.

It cannot do this, unfortunately (although there is ample documentation for the NJM2069 so a mod to incorporate this feature is quite feasible). But with 16MB of ram you could process a pretty decent-sized piece of audio through the filters.

Comment

Maybe this is something that can be added in an OS upgrade? I'll have to ask him...

-Mc
                  Response from John from American Musical Supply on why I have received 2 used/damaged Korg M3's and 1 reboxed M3 from Guitar Center (a.k.a. why I'll never buy from AMS again): Footfall wrote:What you're experiencing with these units is the result of our warehouse crew intentionally "overpacking" this product.Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, nanoPAD 2

Comment

It may be possible, but I'm skeptical. I think the only built-in signal path through the voice filters is from the digital voice playback circuitry, which means the audio has to come from RAM. It's not possible to read and write at the same time. A faster CPU could possibly process both activities simultaneously, but not the built-in one. That being the case, a hardware modification that allows audio to pass directly from the inputs through to the NJM2069 would be by far the simpler of the options.

Of course, if I'm wrong about any of those details, that would be nice because that might change things.

Comment

From the descriptions, it sounds similar to the Emax I had, which had some convolution software that let me create digital waves for it.
                      Moe---It puts the SINES in the basket, or else it gets the hose again.http://www.hotrodmotm.com

Comment

From the descriptions, it sounds similar to the Emax I had, which had some convolution software that let me create digital waves for it.

It's not entirely different. I only have an Emax II with which to compare it which is 16-bit and has digital filters. I'd say the Korg is a little bit more full in its sound and only marginally less clean sounding. But actually they both have very nice sounding filters. The Emax II has fantastic resonant filters, digital though they may be. I would imagine the CEMs in the Emax SE that you must've had were a little bit warmer and woollier.

Comment

That's what I was thinking... given how nice the DSS-1 sounds (only 12 bits, but 12 really nice sounding bits , this is not comparable to an Emax, this is more comparable to an EIII. Not directly of course... no individual outs or multitimbral operation.... but it has more memory too (I think with the mod, this will have the most memory of any sampler with analog filters...) and I prefer the Korg filter sound to the CEMs in the Emu (or the P3k, for that matter).

i'll have to get one of these when I can afford it. I hope this will still be available in February....

Comment

Once I get the upgrade installed, I'm going to redo *all* of the sample libraries so it'll be a simple file structure on a single USB thumbdrive. DD floppies suck!

The additional RAM, HD floppy, and other things not officially announced are worth every bit of the $329 he's asking.

-Mc

One thing not previously mentioned is the SPEED that the new upgrade loads.

A typical system from USB loads in about 11 seconds, and that is an entire original floppy disk's worth - with all systems A thru D in memory at once.

-Jim

Comment

I'm really starting to want this upgrade more and more. The money is a bit of an issue holding me back, but I'm also wary of putting that kind of investment into something which is rather old and potentially unreliable. Plus some of the front panel switches in my unit need to be replaced, the keybed could use some refurbishing (replacing the felt strips at minimum) and the 25 year old electrolytics should really all be replaced. So the time and effort into really making this upgrade make sense starts to become pretty substantial.

And if I did all of that, I would have to figure out how the hell to make space for the thing so that I can actually use it.

Comment

I prefer the Korg filter sound to the CEMs in the Emu (or the P3k, for that matter).

As far as I know, the Emus where using SSM filters.

Comment

• Working...
                                  X