Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isnt the entire DSS-1 library broader and bigger than the M1? You have 60 plus Korg factory disks plus all the third party and user data.

As you note the M1 samples are truncated even though sampled at a higher bit rate to fit in 4MB. Even Lore as you note isn

Comment

• My best regards to the DSS-1 users community.

I just bought the mighty (and heavy) beast. It's my first sampler (synthler ?) ever and I find it very inspiring.

I would like to thank Glen for his great website (and making me want to buy a DSS-1), Tom for his awesome upgrade (I'm saving some money to buy it oneday !) and of course Jim for his talented expertise and his kindness.

It's my first message on this forum but I've been reading all of you carefully for weeks and weeks now. I'm not a synth guru at all (rather a synth n00b) but I've found all these conversations very interesting.

For now I'm trying to make Samplevision to work properly. The software keeps on crashing on WinXP (even in Win98 compatibility mode).
      I've succeeded in sending my first sound to the DSS-1 after many attempts. And I don't even know how (!?!). I guess I have to get familiar with the way the DSS-1 handles and organizes sounds and data for better results. But any advice would be welcomed.

- Ben -

Comment

• OK, I understand how it works, and it might be possible to implement, but which button do I use to control it?

-Jim

Jim,

I just watched a youtube video of John Bowen demonstrating his Solaris,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZOCrmLx8C0

at 1:36 he explains to enable the chord feature, you hold the chord and hit the unison button. This could work the exact same way for the DSS-1.

-Mc
        Response from John from American Musical Supply on why I have received 2 used/damaged Korg M3's and 1 reboxed M3 from Guitar Center (a.k.a. why I'll never buy from AMS again): Footfall wrote:What you're experiencing with these units is the result of our warehouse crew intentionally "overpacking" this product.Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, nanoPAD 2

Comment

• Jim,

I just watched a youtube video of John Bowen demonstrating his Solaris,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZOCrmLx8C0

at 1:36 he explains to enable the chord feature, you hold the chord and hit the unison button. This could work the exact same way for the DSS-1.

-Mc

But we don't have a 'unison' button. Would the 'compare' button be OK?

-Jim

Comment

• Would the 'compare' button be OK?

Why not the "Enter" or "Yes" button ? Is it possible ?

Comment

• Why not the "Enter" or "Yes" button ? Is it possible ?

Sure, this is possible. The 'Enter' button is already used in play mode for transpose. The 'Yes' button is a possibility.

-Jim

Comment

• Hey, if you're busy hacking old digital hardware anyway, perhaps here's a completely unrelated but nice and easy to do, and there's a chance it could be popular.

I have http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2258241

It looks like this from the inside:

Now, imagine this:

Create a plastic case that fits in both the mk I and mk II with a small adapter (official ADP1s from Yamaha go for absolutely ridiculous prices).

Dump memory in the plastic case - lots of it.

Put a 4x4 lit button pad on top of it (Monome style) and thereby create 2^16 possible bank selections for 32 sounds. Reduce 'm if you want to by making the first two rows exclusive or something because that's 2097152 and I don't think even a DX7 has that many permutations or they sound too alike anyway since half of 'm are useless noise.

Sell the entire package that can host a gazillion DX7 sounds, mass-produced, for $39.95 a piece on the 'bay. You'll immediately kill off all the ridiculously overpriced cartridges that are floating around there, now.
                "Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.
                Synthesizer Programming Megathread - add your tips & tricks or ask how to recreate sounds!

Comment

• As of today the first batch of DSS-1 kits is sold out. Thanks to those of you that bought one. I've started work on the new board and hopefully Jim will have time in the next while to work on the code for it.

I'm hoping the new board will be ready for sale in the next couple of months.

However I still have 7 fully modified DSS-1's for sale. Contact me if you're interested.

-Tom

Comment

• As of today the first batch of DSS-1 kits is sold out. Thanks to those of you that bought one. I've started work on the new board and hopefully Jim will have time in the next while to work on the code for it.

However I still have 7 fully modified DSS-1's for sale. Contact me if you're interested.

-Tom

congrats!
                    Response from John from American Musical Supply on why I have received 2 used/damaged Korg M3's and 1 reboxed M3 from Guitar Center (a.k.a. why I'll never buy from AMS again): Footfall wrote:What you're experiencing with these units is the result of our warehouse crew intentionally "overpacking" this product.Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, nanoPAD 2

Comment

• Indeed, congratulations! it must be quite validating to know that people care about the DSS-1 and your work to improve it enough to put forward money for it. I should have bought one of those boards, but I procrastinated too long. Well, hopefully I'll get one of the next batch.

Comment

-Tom

If I had the means right now, I would SO get this. It's a huge bargain (no pun intended )
                        http://www.reverbnation.com/christianschulze

Comment

-Tom

Congratulations! That

Comment

• Congratulations! That

Comment

• hey Tom, did you get my email?

Comment

• Hello Everyone,

I just signed up and thought it polite to drop a line to praise Tom's and Jim's work here. It's worth every penny and breathes a new life into this old puppy (it seems I might have been one of the last to have received batch #1).

As an opening 'present' let me hand over a 7 MB piano multisample (SD2_PNO.zip) I created with the upgrade as a test. No loops and things, just plain manual sampling into the DSS-1. I don't say it is any good, but might be interesing for some, and a good test that indeed you can load large multisamples into your new upgrade.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dss-1/files/DSS1%20Sounds/ (likely you have to register, if you haven't done so before)

What I'd really like to do is to transfer multisamples from my upgraded DSS-1 into my Korg T2ex. Does anyone have experience with something like this? Someone could maybe recommend a good T-series site?

I also have a few minor suggestions as an improvement, seeing Jim active at times on this thread, I might post them here, again (posted before on the Yahoo! forum).

Thanks again, it is great stuff, highly recommended!

Comment

• Working...
                                  X