• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Korg DSS-1 upgrade finished - 16MB RAM, 1.44 MB FD, USB, & more

complete details:

http://web.me.com/tomvirostek/DSS-1/DSS1.html

Some of the new features include:
    -16MB of memory (64 banks)
    -USB file storage with subdirectories (FAT file system for easy PC transfer)
    -more comprehensive diagnostics
    -ability to assign sliders to program parameters
    -ability to have all 4 systems from floppy (A-D) in memory at once
    -up to 64 multisounds at once (instead of 16)
    -128 programs at once (instead of 32)

Future planned software improvements include portamento, OS updating from USB flash drive, WAV file import and more. Stay tuned....

If you have a DSS-1, this is a no brainer IMHO.

-Mc
    Response from John from American Musical Supply on why I have received 2 used/damaged Korg M3's and 1 reboxed M3 from Guitar Center (a.k.a. while I'll never buy from AMS again):Footfall wrote:What you're experiencing with these units is the result of our warehouse crew intentionally "overpacking" this product.Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, nanoPAD 2

Wow! I *do* have a DSS-1, it's propped up against my bedroom wall. This mod is expensive, but the sound of the DSS-1 is actually great and the inability to easily move sounds around is its fatal flaw.

Comment

Fantastic

Worth the effort imo.
      Vive La Synthesizer!

Comment

This could be interesting read for EP
        If you need a KSP script, e-mail me! Depending on amount of work, the price can be arranged!

Folio: Zero-G - Animato | Sonokinetic - Tigris & Euphrates - Desert Voice - Carousel - Toccata - Voices Of Israel - EMP - FE | Hollow Sun - HSDV Drum Synthesiser - Music Laboratory Machines Series - RMI Electrapiano

Comment

I never saw the attraction of this board, can someone enlighten me?
          Moe---It puts the SINES in the basket, or else it gets the hose again.http://www.hotrodmotm.com

Comment

1. waveform drawing
            2. additive synthesis
            3. analog filters

Justifies it enough for me
            If you need a KSP script, e-mail me! Depending on amount of work, the price can be arranged!

Folio: Zero-G - Animato | Sonokinetic - Tigris & Euphrates - Desert Voice - Carousel - Toccata - Voices Of Israel - EMP - FE | Hollow Sun - HSDV Drum Synthesiser - Music Laboratory Machines Series - RMI Electrapiano

Comment

Its all in dem filters son!
              Vive La Synthesizer!

Comment

It's a great board that was built to a high standard of quality, as it was a very professional instrument in its day. Analog VCFs per voice, a dual digital delay on the output, a flexible, synth-like voice architecture, etc. It has very good sound quality for a 12-bit sampler, actually some people looking for a very "grungy" sound might be disappointed in how clean it sounds for most applications. It's very good for pads, textural sounds, etc. and might be a good instrument looking for something that is sort of midway between a polysynth and a sampler.

Comment

This could be interesting read for EP

Daaaaang. That's some hardcore geekery right there, man! Makes me wish I had a DSS-1 to upgrade!
                  Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.

Comment

What did I tell you peeps, eh?

Puppy,

Comment

Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.

Comment

I can not begin to say how awesome this is. NOW i have my reason to make space for one of these beasts!
                        Live for Nothing, or Die For Something - John Rambo

Comment

It's the big daddy of the Korg DW8000, which is a kick ass synth in its own right.
                          Live for Nothing, or Die For Something - John Rambo

Comment

yep, the sound is just beautiful - rich, analog, and the dual DDLs are the cherry on top. You have to hear how it sounds... as it's very 1980s nostalgic, but being a sampling synthesizer, you can create your own samples and make it more modern-sounding

Some time ago, I spent many, many evenings recording audio examples from this fantastic, yet a bit quirky, keyboard. Yep, the filters are phenomenal, and I suggest to listen to the audio examples for the synth/reso diskettes, but also all the other sounds are very good imho. The classic M1 draws from several of those samples
                            SynthMania.com
                            SynthManiaYouTube

Comment

Think of the DDS-1 as a hybrid analog synth but instead of simple VCOs it uses 12 bit samples.

This is what makes it special. Even if it had just standard saw, square, etc wave it would be a great analog. (It does all those too.) Given that its goes so much further with samples, waveform drawing, switchable 12db/24db low pass analog filter, twin digital delay effects it really is an unusual gem.

Its shortcomings are its size/weight and DD floppy drive/ format.

I've written a lot about the might DSS-1 as its still one of my all time favs. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the first company that softs it accurately gets my money.

Look how popular the ImpOSCar is and that was far more obscure than the DSS-1. It

Comment

Working...
                              X