Roland Fantom G6 - Are you kidding me?

gpaaib

• Members

So I had a conversation with a friend yesterday that went something like this:

Me: I've been considering setting up a home studio with Cakewalk Sonar X2 Producer so I can start producing demos of my music.

Friend: Dude, you have a G6 don't you?

Me: Yeah, but I never play it, it just kinda sits there, why?

Friend: You do realize you can get some pretty decent demos including external instruments and vocals all from the board?

Me: What? Really? I don't know much about the board, I just got a good deal on it and bought it.

So is this true? Should I be diving into the G6 manual figuring this stuff out? Can this board really produce decent demos that include vocals, etc.?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary

• Members

"So is this true? Should I be diving into the G6 manual figuring this stuff out? Can this board really produce decent demos that include vocals, etc.?"

Gary, I have both Fantom, and Sonar.  I definitely suggest that you read the manuals because yes, the G6 is perfectly capable to produce professional-quality recordings on its own.  Also, if you still don't plan to use the Fantom, but Sonar, be aware that even learning Sonar requires a looong time to invest in reading the manual - which is hundreds of pages.  In comparison, reading the manual for the G6 has arguably a less steep learning curve.

So in both cases, I would definitely invest the time in reading the manuals for both.  You can get great sounds from the on-board soft synths in Sonar, but the sounds on the Fantom are at least as good, and probably a notch up once you start adding the superb SRX line of expansion boards.

Archived