NAMM 2013: Panel discussion: Past, Present and Future of MIDI

Anderton

• Members

Thought y'all might dig this video that was posted by Future Music.

"At NAMM 2013, Future Music captured MIDI creators and innovators Alan Parsons, Tom Oberheim, Dave Smith, Jordan Rudess, George Duke and Craig Anderton discussing the past, present and future of MIDI."

• Members

Anderton wrote:

Thought y'all might dig this video that was posted by Future Music.

"At NAMM 2013, Future Music captured MIDI creators and innovators Alan Parsons, Tom Oberheim, Dave Smith, Jordan Rudess, George Duke and Craig Anderton discussing the past, present and future of MIDI."

Fantastic... Thanks for posting :catvery-happy:

• Members

This was really, really nice to see the discussion. Thanks a lot for sharing!

When I watched this I thought it would be interesting to discuss more about two confronting opinions how midi is used. Dominating on the panel certainly was that midi is for controlling synth parameters (pair - performer / sound generation device) and maybe syncing allowing more performers play together, but midi role in generative music was somewhat leaved out - what I mean here is for example Karma developed by Stephen Key - it would be nice to hear about midi future from such perspective. I personally see midi as bridge integrating many devices and players - the dream concept (LiveMidiMachine how I call it) is that no matter which performer can use no matter what controller to control any device connected to system/midi network and system setup how they interact can be set from simple ipad application. Oh, but this needs pretty big investment to pay to coders to implement that. Technically it seems absolutely possible. Question is if musicians are interested for something that so that investment pays off. Form musician opinions presented on panel only our community manager seemed completely open minded ;)

Archived