Newer keyboarder - solo keys

maarkr

• Members

Maybe someone can point me to a reference or material to learn, or even explain this in simple terms... fairly new keyboarder, know some music theory but I've been around forever.  Seems like when I'm making up solos to go along with songs, they don't follow a key...like the song I' learning I can play riff or solo notes  except B, F, and any black keys; another song I know I can play any note but B and black keys and it sounds OK.  

When I write my keyboard tabs for a song to practice/play, I write down these details so I can play some little accmpnt riffs in the song instead of just doing chords for variety.... but they often do not correspond to any key the song is in, but I know I can play these notes and they sound OK in the song.  Is there any method/rules/theory on this or just trial and error with each song?

• Members

It sounds like you are ready to explore scale tones. Given any key center, there are a half dozen or so scales that can be played, and you learn to play connected melodies on these scale tones.

This article explains the various modes, major, minor etc scales that make up the language:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatonic_scale

Learn to recognize how these various scales sound, and you will have a methodical basis of constructing things you want to play.

• Members

Basic musical theory is typically driven from scales.  I started taking piano lessons when I was 9.  First thing I was taught were the keys themselves.  After understanding the keys and their tones the next 5 years of lessons ALWAYS started with scales.  Understanding scales and their interrelationship with the tones is very important.  So I'd focus on understanding scales and chords.  Example, a C6 chord (which is a major chord) when inverted is the same as an A min 7 ( a minor chord). So within the context of how those chords are played you can sound like Steely Dan or you can just plain sound dissonant in tone.  Learn and understand scales and chords will go along way to blending your soloing technique and solo note choices.

Archived