Alicia Keys @ Super Bowl - Love it or List it?

B4time

• Members

If nothing else, that rendition of Star Spangled Banner had to leave some listeners wondering if we have adopted a new national anthem! I liked it though thought some of those chord changes were a bit dissonant, sounded like something I might experiment with at home but maybe a little too indulgent for the big venue.

• Members

Love it!! She was perfect. Elegant, beautiful and talented. She made the national anthem her own in a way noone has since Jimmi Hendrix. All of her dissonant chords and vocal flourishes were a perfect example of who Alicia Keys is as an artist.  It was real and captivating. Can't ask for much more than that. 

• Members

ElectricPuppy wrote:

Love it or not?  I can't say.  I didn't see it.  I was out in the back forty playing tug rope with my dog.
:)

Communist!

I liked it but I also thought some of the chords were a bit off.   I applaud her bravery though.  

• Members

I thought she did a decent job on the piece.  I liked that she didn't try to fit every note in her vocal range in every phrase like so many of today's diva singers seem to do.  In that regard, I thought it was a reasonably tasteful rendition. 

I also like the "jazz chords" approach to the piano accompaniment - different, tasteful, not the least bit overbearing. 

My only criticism is that I thought it needed to be a little brighter in terms of tempo.  Put simply, to my ears - it seemed to drag a little too much.

• Members

I turned on the game sometime between the anthem and kickoff so I didn't listen to her rendition until just now.

I thought the jazz chords were interesting, but she dragged it on for too long. It's a spritely anthem, not a somber hymn. A few years ago, I read the following article by a sportswriter who became obsessed with timing every Star Spangled Banner he's heard. I haven't been able to listen to sporting event anthems the same way since.

http://snoozypolitics.blogspot.com/2005/02/our-national-anthem-is-it-really-worth.html

Archived