Moog Prodigy vs Little Phatty

gilwe

• Members

OK so I got a nice Prodigy here which I love. For live shows it's quite limited so I thought of trading for a Little Phatty. I'm not looking for the specific Prodigy sound but I do need it to sound like a Moog ;)

What do you think ?

• Members

I used to own a Prodigy, great sounding little synth, but it did not sound"Moog" to my ears, and the construction was a little flimsy.(after all this was a budget offering from Moog) I like the Phatty sound much better, plus its MIDI, has memory, and better built. Go Phatt!

• Members

I have a little phatty, and if you are using it for bass sounds this thing is mint.... sounds enormous through a PA system.

Otherwise it is fairly limited, I pretty well only use it for bass sounds and the odd lead.

• Members

I had a Prodigy for a while...in many important ways it's architecture is even more limited than the Moog Rogue. I wasn't very impressed with its overall sound. Sadly, oscillator sync can only be controlled via the wheel, not EG. Later ones have decent CV/Gate interfacing on the back, earlier ones don't.

I think the Little Phatty is a great-sounding synth with some excellent features. Most of it is built like a tank. Very poorly built keybed though...after a couple weeks of light playing the keys on mine were noticeably out of level with each other (crooked).

They may have fixed this now as I've only seen this complaint from a few others...

• Members

Most of it is built like a tank. Very poorly built keybed though...after a couple weeks of light playing the keys on mine were noticeably out of level with each other (crooked).

They may have fixed this now as I've only seen this complaint from a few others...

Yeh, I checked it out today and indeed the keyboard feels a bit cheap and the knobs feel a little fragile, but the panel and overall construction is very solid ! I think its power is mainly at its bass. I like the Prodigy sound much more but the Phatty looks like a great option for having moog sound on a live performance, not needing to spend the cash for a Voyager and still being able to "enjoy" midi and presets. and... it also looks awesome on stage :)

I agree with the comment saying it is a little harsh at its high end, I heard that. I mean compared to vintage moogs.... But overall it was a great deal so I picked it up. It is untouched, and cost me about a half of what they are sold for here new. :thu:

• Members

Most of it is built like a tank. Very poorly built keybed though...after a couple weeks of light playing the keys on mine were noticeably out of level with each other (crooked).

i would like the Moog Music keyboards more if they had more robust keybeds.

• Members

my friend ClavAnother and I both couldn't tell the difference between a Prodigy and a 1974 Minimoog when set to exactly the same sound and took turns playing them behind each other's back.

obviously the Mini could very easily be made to sound unlike the Prodigy, but the very strong impression we walked away with was that the Prodigy is a subset of the Mini, not completely different.

AFAIK, the minimoog and Prodigy share the same filter... Actually, the Prodigy is supposed to be the only moog which shares the same type of filters with the mini. Can anyone confirm ? :rolleyes: Anyway, I really love how the Prodigy sounds. I might take the LP now out for shows cuse it looks fabulous on darks stages and has the preset selector which is what I really need ! :thu:

Interesting note:

After playing the Phatty for a while I realize how powerful is the Mono Evolver really, which in a much lighter and compact "package" provides much more versatlie and colourful tone, yet it has a better keyboard and knobs for each function. A very underrated synth ! :rolleyes:

• Members

Well, I must say that after playing and tweaking it a bit I am really impressed with this little phat beast ! I really do not feel an urge for the Prodigy too much now. The phatty can do it all ! Great basses and leads !

Only problem is that I did notice the keyboard level problem in mine...

what;'s the deal with it ? Does moog replace these keyboard during the guarantee period ?

• 2 years later...

Archived