Anyone using a stool?

Tullsterx

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
I use one of these - Onstage KT7800 Bench. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Bench/

A traditional piano bench that is both sturdy and stable. It folds down flat with no screws or threaded connnections to deal with. It's a reasonably comfortable bench (comfortably wide enough and soft enough).
I use something similar. Lets you shift around a little bit for playing 88 keys.

• Members
I use one of these - Onstage KT7800 Bench. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Bench/

A traditional piano bench that is both sturdy and stable. It folds down flat with no screws or threaded connnections to deal with. It's a reasonably comfortable bench (comfortably wide enough and soft enough).
I use something similar. Lets you shift around a little bit for playing 88 keys.

• Members

I got one of these as well. Love mine. I'm 285 lbs and I seem to remember it having a 300lb limit so I'm good. I like sitting for the most part. I still get up and jam with the guys on most of the faster tunes. When I sit, I feel I can finesse things better and, as was said above, I can control the pedals better and don't have to do the 'pedal dance" when I stand and use it a lot. I always have stood in the past but a) I'm getting old (54) and b) see reason a)

• Members

I got one of these as well. Love mine. I'm 285 lbs and I seem to remember it having a 300lb limit so I'm good. I like sitting for the most part. I still get up and jam with the guys on most of the faster tunes. When I sit, I feel I can finesse things better and, as was said above, I can control the pedals better and don't have to do the 'pedal dance" when I stand and use it a lot. I always have stood in the past but a) I'm getting old (54) and b) see reason a)

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by midinut View Post
Agreed - pedals play a big part in how I control my rig. I use expression pedals to bring layered sounds in and out of the mix (i.e., strings or horn stabs over a piano voice, etc.), a switch pedal to turn a Leslie sim on/off. I also make use of the sustain pedals as a means to make smoother transitions between parts played on different keyboards. It's very common to find that I'm using two pedals simultaneously.

You and I are roughly the same size and age ... and any way you slice it, just not into the idea of standing around like a flamingo all night long (i.e., standing on one foot - working pedals with the other!). Seated is the only way to go for me!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by midinut View Post
Agreed - pedals play a big part in how I control my rig. I use expression pedals to bring layered sounds in and out of the mix (i.e., strings or horn stabs over a piano voice, etc.), a switch pedal to turn a Leslie sim on/off. I also make use of the sustain pedals as a means to make smoother transitions between parts played on different keyboards. It's very common to find that I'm using two pedals simultaneously.

You and I are roughly the same size and age ... and any way you slice it, just not into the idea of standing around like a flamingo all night long (i.e., standing on one foot - working pedals with the other!). Seated is the only way to go for me!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by McHale

View Post

I ONLY stand when playing live. I also use pedals most of the show so I'm standing on my left foot alone for about 3 hours. I started using an anti-fatigue mat and my foot/leg problems went away.

That's an idea. I already use a mat to attach my pedals to. An upgrade and extension might do the trick. Or, I'm also thinking about some kind of suspended harness system. . . hmm

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by McHale

View Post

I ONLY stand when playing live. I also use pedals most of the show so I'm standing on my left foot alone for about 3 hours. I started using an anti-fatigue mat and my foot/leg problems went away.

That's an idea. I already use a mat to attach my pedals to. An upgrade and extension might do the trick. Or, I'm also thinking about some kind of suspended harness system. . . hmm

• Members

When I was gigging I always sat on a cheap padded keyboard bench that the legs folded up (still have it and use it actually, though had to get a new bolt cuz I've gotten so fat over the years that I actually bent the bolt that holds it together and couldn't get it to stay in, it collapsed on me several times while I was sitting on it rocking the 88's, no joke LOL)

I remember a guy I met that played keys and somehow this topic came up and I asked him if he stood or sat, and he got all heated and was like "of course I sit down! Standing up playing keys? What the {censored} do you think, I'm in Flock of Seagulls?" I don't know, I thought it was pretty funny that he had such a strong opinioin about it LOL...

• Members

When I was gigging I always sat on a cheap padded keyboard bench that the legs folded up (still have it and use it actually, though had to get a new bolt cuz I've gotten so fat over the years that I actually bent the bolt that holds it together and couldn't get it to stay in, it collapsed on me several times while I was sitting on it rocking the 88's, no joke LOL)

I remember a guy I met that played keys and somehow this topic came up and I asked him if he stood or sat, and he got all heated and was like "of course I sit down! Standing up playing keys? What the {censored} do you think, I'm in Flock of Seagulls?" I don't know, I thought it was pretty funny that he had such a strong opinioin about it LOL...

Archived