Do you reckon i'm good enough to write Videogame music?

• Members

So i have a decent job as a music teacher. I teach adults with autism/learning difficulties how to play guitar and keys. Whilst it's a rewarding job, my true passion is composing. I'd love a job as a soundtrack composer for Videogames, so i'm gonna put together a showreel of different pieces, some electronic-ky, some orchestral, all epic!

Then i'm gonna send it out to different video game companies, i reckon i'll send them a DVD and musical-orientated CV (i've done alot of music for different people) and use footage of THEIR games, and put my music over the top. It goes without saying i'll only use pieces which go with the game, we don't want blips and bloops over resident evil do we? lol.

Of course, this is all speculation and it'll be useless trying unless my stuff is up to scratch. Here's the first piece i've done for the showreel, it's an electronic track which would fit well with a game like Deus Ex, Metroid, etc etc.

http://soundcloud.com/elmosexwhistle/alex-juno-future-cityscape

I may also contact indie game developers as it might allow me to build up my CV, would be cool to have my music on an Ipad game maybe.

Equipment Used:

Korg Monopoly - Basses, Leads, Brassy Bits

Yamaha DX11 - Doubled Up on Bass for some nice attack

OPX Pro - That cool arpeggiated synth part

AAS String Studio - For that zheng part at the beginning

Along with A Choir Soundfont, Sampletank and some samples of a Yamaha RX drum machine. :)

Oh yeah, mastered with Izotope Ozone.

Let me know what you think. Cheers. Alex.

• Members

DO IT.

Submitting to indie game developers is a good idea, even if it's just Flash stuff on Kongregate. A lot of them could use good music and the right game & game soundtrack gets a lot of publicity and credibility in the industry. Sword & Sworcery is one. idk anything about getting into AAA stuff but there's prob a lot of advice.

USE ONLY A DX11. MAKE EVERYTHING SOUND LIKE MEGADRIVE.

• Members

I think a lead in a synth song is analogous to action in an action video game.

Bring it up. It's buried. It also sounds mono-ish because it's perfectly centered in the stereo field. Pan it a little. Some passages also have repeated notes here and there: pan one left [the "call"], and the other right [the "answer"]. I think it will sound much better.

What a beautiful composition man! aside from the awesome lead, I love the dramatic drums, those choirs, and the sudden end!

Best of luck hunting down some clients! somebody somewhere will love it!:thu:

• Members

sounds okay, could do with a remix as other have noted, writing for game is also writing for "screen" so you need to write to counterpoint what's happening on screen, this means you'll be writing to timecode and action points and not 'bars'.

try picking a portion of a game and writing to the video.

• Members

yes DX11 or you're a SELLOUT!

I live in Irvine CA near BLIZZARD. Send me a CD and I'll frisbee it out my car window at their Fortress on my way to work.

Seriously that place is so well fortified it's kinda intimidating until you see the geeks walking out of there.

• Members

Yeah i'm gonna be including all sorts of stuff in my demo reel, some spacey stuff (like the track i posted) some rock, some orchestral bits, some ambient stuff, maybe a little big band jazz?

Soundalikes would be pretty easy for me, i'm good with my synths and sample libraries and can usually replicate a sound or feel, and i'm also good on my chords and play by ear well, so can take a track and change "just enough" notes to make it have the same feel, but be legally different.

Also willing to write new stuff to spec, in fact i was going to offer any company a free bit of work, ie "Send me a little bit of game footage and i'll write something to it" to give them an idea of how it would work.

Thanks for the advice Audacity, i'm certainly open to working for free for a while on Ipad/Iphone projects to build up a CV. I liked that your advice was realistic (ie it's a hard world out there!) but also fair, thanks.

• Members

Well, my friend didn't come up with any earth-shattering tips, sorry:

"

the only advice I would have is to go via linkedin and send his resume to games industry recruiters

there's no really direct way in

"

it's not the good old days of who you know anymore

he's just going to have to pound the pavement internet-wise

experience is everything too

so, it can be a catch 22

he should target some companies he likes/would like to work for and send his resume etc.

all the usual stuff

get familiar with the names of current games music writers etc.

• 10 months later...

Archived