From Casio PX 330 to Yamaha CP50. Need a new keyboard!

neonglasses

• Members

My Kurzweil Sp2x no longer powers in so it's time for a new keyboard. I think the repair cost vs value of the kurzweil dictates that. Or excuses it, at least. Anyway, I'm looking for advice from the community (looooong time lurker).

I need realistic weighted keys. Semi-weighted is a deal breaker. I need more than piano sounds, though not a ton. The idea of sequencing and audio/midi recording sounds amazing. Layers, splits and most of all...nice sounding pianos!! That is a must. More keys = better but I can have some flex with that. Weight isn't a huge issue since this thing will be at home all the time. Lastly, anything over a grand gets me nervous but I can budge a bit.

The Casio PX 330 seems alright but perhaps a bit less than favorable. It's price point is suspiciously cheap. I haven't played one yet. On the other hand, the Yamaha CP50 seems perfect, though a bit expensive. What's in the middle? There are so many new boards out than when I was last on the market. It's overwhelming.

Ay advice is greatly appreciated, sirs and ladies. icon_lol.gif

• Members

right

Well, then, getting a second-hand home keyboard starts looking sensible. These are typically well-built, heavy, and have nice piano actions. Because technology devalues very quickly and they're big, they can often be had for a very sensible price (i.e. this one from near me).

The great thing is that, even if the sounds are dated (and they may be very good) you can run MIDI to a computer and use the wonderful-sounding pianos that are now available on computers.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by neonglasses View Post
How so? I thought the 330 was supposed to be better than the 3.
For the 3, they started with the 330, took out all the "home keyboard" features and replaced them with more "pro" features. So for example, there's no auto-accompaniment, but there's much more flexible split and layer functionality (including integration of sounds from externally attached MIDI devices). It also has an ivory-finish key surface, a modulation control, and better sounds (i.e. EP, organ, and strings) with the ability to substantially edit the sounds as well. No speakers, but it is lighter.

Not at all familiar with the 350.
It's basically the replacement for the 330. All new action (which most people will find better than the 3 or 330) and better acoustic piano sound than 3 or 330... otherwise very similar to the 330.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I ended up buying a Casio Privia PX-350 and am returning it today. The keys have a nice feel to them, if not a bit heavy, but the onboard speakers do nothing for me and I'm not at all a fan of the abrasive piano sounds or the ridiculous lack of sustain with the pedal. I could make do with all the other issues except the sustain, there's no fixing that one. You could put a brick on that thing and play like normal and it would sound just fine. Back to the drawing board. I might just get back into the Kurzweil SP line. I loved me SP2X but I was hoping for a piano with some recording capabilities built in.

• Members

Glad you mentioned that. I had my eye on a CDP 200 that felt good and sounded pretty decent in the display (placed vertically on a shelf) I went back and checked and yup. Short, cut through, samples. freak.gif I may still get one but no gas - oh the relief.

• Members

Hmm, that's odd. I love sustain; that's one of the things I really liked about my CP70. But I don't notice any lack of sustain when I used a friend's CDP-100, or when trying Privias in the shop. Though I liked the Yamaha P95 a bit better (for reasons I couldn't pin down), they seemed to be pretty similar. I'll pay specific attention to that next time I try.

I've never played a Kurz piano, though, so I can't compare.

• Members
I ended up buying a Casio Privia PX-350 and am returning it today. The keys have a nice feel to them, if not a bit heavy, but the onboard speakers do nothing for me and I'm not at all a fan of the abrasive piano sounds or the ridiculous lack of sustain with the pedal. I could make do with all the other issues except the sustain, there's no fixing that one. You could put a brick on that thing and play like normal and it would sound just fine. Back to the drawing board. I might just get back into the Kurzweil SP line. I loved me SP2X but I was hoping for a piano with some recording capabilities built in.
Don't judge the piano sounds by using the onboard speakers- hooking them up to a good stereo will vastly improve the sound you're hearing.

What do you mean by the lack of sustain with the pedal? Doesn't matter what keyboard you're talking about, you press the sustain pedal and the sound sustains.

The Krome 88 has recording capabilities (sequencer, not audio), and you can probably get it for $1500 if you haggle.

• 3 months later...

Archived