List of inexpensive modern analog synths

paulo_

• Members

I was going over analog synths currently being made (or recently announced) in the lower price bracket and thought I'd make a list to keep track of all, now I'm posting it so you may enjoy it as well. These are good times to be into these things. Let me know if I left something out.

Analogue Solutions:

Station X - ~750USD - Patchable single osc mini synth, expandable by addition of stations y and q:

nNmei.jpg

Leipzig-S - ~1000USD - 2 OSC, FAT MOOG style synth with built in step sequencer:

BpnwC.jpg

Arturia:

Minibrute - ~550USD - Single osc mono, featuring waveform mixer, ultrasaw and metallizer waveshapers, "brute factor" filter feedback circuit, 2 oct aftertouch keyboard:

WLcCz.jpg

Atomosynth:

Koe Desktop - ~350USD - Peruvian single osc, vactrol filter monosynth:

fhhE0.jpg

Doepfer:

Dark Energy - ~650USD - Single osc desktop box with fast LFOs and copious modulation routings:

bSyCR.jpg

DSI:

Mopho - ~400USD - Yellow CEM based DCO mono from Dave Smith of Sequential Circuits fame, also available as a pricier knobby keyboard (~800 USD):

8NNne.jpg

Tetr4: ~800USD - 4 voices of Mopho:

KxM2B.jpg

Evolver - Hybrid 2 DCO/2 Digital oscs desktop monosynth:

JKWut.jpg

EMW:

Micromodular - Series of patchable pseudomodular casings from Brazil, with 5 fixed modules each - M1 is a full 2 osc monosynth voice at ~400USD, CV inputs only(no midi):

6jENr.jpg

P-synth-1 - ??USD (tba) - Single VCO desktop monosynth:

JirFW.jpg

• Members

Eowave

Domino - ~350 usd - Single osc acidic mono:

gJrru.jpg

Koma - ~750USD - Single osc, mixable waveforms, 80's inspired bassline synth, featuring built-in sequencer:

PT72I.png

Futureretro:

Revolution - ~750USD - Cool looking acid bassline synth with built-in sequencer:

eq0ox.jpg

Korg:

Monotrons, Monotribe - ~50, ~200USD - Analog toy synths from the Korg. Monotribe is easily hackable for midi:

Ao6uf.jpg

Macbeth:

Micromac - No price yet and this won't be quite inexpensive, but it's supposed to be here somehow:

2ZEbg.jpg

MFB:

Dominion-X - ~1000 usd - 3 osc, monosynth with patchpoints and patch memory, crazy filters, kitchen sink:

bSPtx.jpg

Kraftzwerg - ~700USD - Semimodular version of the old Synth 2, 3 oscs, minimoog based with a few extras:

rabr6.jpg

Microzwerg - ~500USD - 2 osc, semimodular mono with dual multimode filters, uncanny feature/square inch ratio:

YrG3c.jpg

Nanozwerg - ~250USD - Probably the cheapest proper analog in the world, single osc with sub, 2-pole multimode filter, speaks modular:

1Ifjj.jpg

Mode Machines:

SL-1 - ~800USD - 2 osc desktop monosynth thing (assembled MFOS synthlab?):

FWA0Z.jpg

• Members

Moog:

Slim phatty - ~800USD - 2 osc Moog brand monosynth module with patch memory:

v8elS.jpg

Minitaur - ~600 USD - The new Moog Taurus desktop bass module:

YpB4p.jpg

Mutable Instruments:

Shruthi-1 (honorable mention hybrid) - ~370USD - Digital monosynth with different analog filter board options, great sounds:

JWKiS.jpg

PAiA:

Fatman (kit) - ~250USD - Simple DIY 2 osc monosynth from PAIA:

FdEdC.jpg

Tom Oberheim:

SEM ~900-1200USD - reedition of the legendary Oberheim SEM, available options with MIDI, semimodular or both:

cFntT.jpg

Vermona:

Mono Lancet - ~650USD - 2 Osc desktop synth with modular expander available separately in eurorack format:

Uz6I3.jpg

Waldorf:

Pulse 2 - ~750USD?(tba) - 3 Osc desktop CGI rendering from Waldorf, supposed to work as 8 voice paraphonic:

wcnWR.png

• Members

wow great job guys. it's crazy seeing them all stacked up like that. can't wait until we can add something polyphonic to this list!

There is the Tetra, but I know what you mean. So far I've read MFB has a poly in the works in the dominion range. But I'm guessing it will cost well over 1k.

• Members

Does anyone know where all these analog synths are produced? Which ones are made in China? Not that I care, but I'd like to compare the price of those made in China to those made in Japan/Europe/US.

I'm especially curious where the DSI Mopho and Arturia Minibrute are produced. I'm guessing that the Mopho is made in Germany and the Minibrute in China.

• Members

when it comes to production of this stuff, it's most likely a case of a bunch of parts from China/Singapore/Taiwan being assembled @ company HQ by whatever company is producing the synth. to get something like this fully assembled overseas, it usually requires an actual trip by the manufacturers themselves.

• 1 year later...

Archived