No announcement yet.

Any favorite B3 settings for Reggae?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFoosa
    Man, I don't know **************** about reggae (and never said otherwise) and this thread has made me want to chill with some Jamaican dudes on a tropical island for a year and jam with them every day and learn this ****************.

Anybody got any hookups?

If you do just be honest with the music. It's one of those things that if you learn it you have to learn it right. If you get it down then you can find your own way within the music.
    "Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

Comment

Someone was asking about a couple reggae drawbar settings I use. Here are a couple. I don't remember the exact thread.

This one is for more R & B stuff:

Most if it is on Chorus Three and the white drawbars are used for color.
      "Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

Comment

this was one of my favorite threads ever. Outkaster in a nutshell. lotta respect.

Comment

I've added this thread to the "Learning Keys" UberGodlike Superthread
          Anything too stupid to be spoken is sung. Pierre de Beaumarchais

Comment

I've been splitting a lot lately, it seems to me good reggae bubble organ is done on a Hammond with a dual manual and I think both the bottom and top hits are practically on the same keys with slightly varied registrations, that way the motion of the bubble stands out rather than going too low on the bottom and getting drowned out by the bass or too high a tone on the top.

It
            My rig pictures

Comment

It's because originally they had two manuals. Now I have switch live a lot on the fly. Here is an example:

http://video.artvoice.com/artvoicetv.php?permalink=0000000661

Comment

Wow, the resurrection of a 3-year-old thread! Dumpster diving award for Wednesday goes to Outkaster!

Actually this is a pretty cool thread that should be timeless.
                Originally posted by p120dUdE
                These are family forums, and many young kids come here and read them.

I am sure there will be no problems, but if there is, my moderation team will take action.

Originally posted by ChasIII
                Im so sick of keyboards. All this keyboard stuff people always use. All this keyboard synth talk all the time. I'm done with it. Never again.

Im thinking that at some point I will have to stop this and start doing other things. Any thoughts, feelings, or ideas?

Comment

People were private messaging me about it and I could not think of the old thread so I used this one. I have to go reread it. I do wish I had the bottom of the XK-3 system but as you can see for the Reggae band I keep a big rig compared to the Dukes rig which is two or 3 boards max. Go listen to

Comment

Outkaster, you are my new personal hero! It is impossible to find any info on reggae keyboards online, I've been searching for years and even tho this thread is years old, I just now stumbled upon it. I'm using a 49 key midi controller in Fruity Loops with a VST plugin called VB3, its a virtual B3 with upper and lower drawbars as well as percussion/chorus/vibrato/reverb switches and buttons, a toggle for the leslie speed. I love playing around on it and can get some good sounds out of it. What are your thoughts on this set up, are there any clonewheel keyboards out that can emulate a Hammond or Vox Continental. I've seen video on youtube of a guy playing some 2-tone ska on a Roland VK-7 that sounds great. Most keyboards I try to play on have horrible organ sounds with no way to shape the tones. Any input you can give me on this will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

What are your thoughts on this set up, are there any clonewheel keyboards out that can emulate a Hammond or Vox Continental.

The current new Hammond keyboards with drawbars are the Nord Stage and Electro (LED drawbars, not physical ones); Hammond XK-3C; and Roland VK-8 (physical drawbars for both). (There's also the Korg CX-3 but some places seem to show it as unavailable, I guess it's discontinued.)

I have a Roland VK-8, and like it well enough. It's a bit dated though, I imagine. From older threads the Hammond XK-3C seems to be the current favorite, especially with the drawbar interface. (The Nords are a strong contender if you also need e-piano and other sounds.)
                      What I make with way too many blinky light modular items, plugins, and an Alesis Andromeda.
                      Forbidden Star: home studio / melodic ambient / New Age / the deep zone
                      Boney Fiend: the band, man / punk / garage / beer

Comment

The current new Hammond keyboards with drawbars are the Nord Stage and Electro (LED drawbars, not physical ones); Hammond XK-3C; and Roland VK-8 (physical drawbars for both). (There's also the Korg CX-3 but some places seem to show it as unavailable, I guess it's discontinued.)

I have a Roland VK-8, and like it well enough. It's a bit dated though, I imagine. From older threads the Hammond XK-3C seems to be the current favorite, especially with the drawbar interface. (The Nords are a strong contender if you also need e-piano and other sounds.)

I've seen the Nord Electros in action, they are amazing and seem to have the best prices compared with the Hammond Suzuki and Roland keyboards. I like how one can split the upper and lower manuals on the Nord combo organs to have a piano sound on the lower and organ from the top. I see your in Tampa, I'm in Melbourne, Fl straight across on the other coast.

Comment

"I'm using a 49 key midi controller..... are there any clonewheel keyboards out that can emulate a Hammond or Vox Continental"...

It's obvious that you've searched 'tinterweb & forums etc before asking your question -

so hat's off to you for that - there are numerous 1st posts where folks don't bother to do that.

I'm assuming that (having tagged on to this thread) you are looking for certain organ sounds in a good,

playable keyboard? - you won't get that from a MIDI controller 'board.

From what you have described so far I would suggest the Nord Electro 3 would be your best bet.

For purely 'Hammond' sounds, the Hammond XK-3C or XK-1 are unbeatable

(apart from a REAL B3/C3/A100 etc) . . . . .but that is pretty much all you get.

The Electro is VERY close to those - plus it has Vox/Farfisa organs

+ excellent electric pianos/clavs and mellotron sounds too etc, etc.

You can also download a whole host of other sounds from Nords' website -

http://www.nordkeyboards.com/main.asp?tm=Products&clpm=Nord_Electro_3

(I would add that I am not affiliated with Nord in any way - I'm just a huge fan )
                          John Schofield - www.myspace.com/jscoey
                          Job: professional piano tuner/technician.
                          Lifestyle: confused!
                          Gear - Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73. Hammond: XK-1. Korg: M3-73 XPanded, M50-88, X50. Yamaha: Motif XS7, Roland: SH-201

Comment

I love how this thread repeatedly gets brought up again and again after 5 years. This was my main reference thread when I first started playing keys in a reggae band. It def contains probably the best info on the web for playing reggae keys.
                            Right now I use a Roland VK-7 for my organ. They're great clonewheels and typically go for $500-600 on ebay- prob the most affordable option for a clonewheel if you're going to be playing live. I run it through a Motion Sound Pro-3 (basically leslie horns), and run the lows through a 2x12 bass cabinet. Sounds great, but can be a bit trilly on the highest notes.
                            I also use a Roland RD-300SX for my piano/clav/epiano sounds. I'm in the process of saving up for a Nord Electro 3 for these sounds- but I think I'll keep the VK-7 as my dedicated organ because I like to bubble with the organ on my left and run piano/clav lines with my right.
                            I've been toying with a Microkorg here and there to add some synth parts.
                            I also have a Melodica and a Roland SPACE ECHO RE-201.

Can't bring myself to gig with my Minimoog, but I've had a lot of fun diggin deep into dub when pairing that beast with my Space Echo......

Comment

I like how one can split the upper and lower manuals on the Nord combo organs to have a piano sound on the lower and organ from the top.

FYI, The only Nord that can perform a split with organ and piano is the Nord Stage. The rest of the Nord rigs will only perform splits with organs (ie, two different drawbar settings). The Nord Combo organ has organ sounds only- no piano.

Comment

I've seen the Nord Electros in action, they are amazing and seem to have the best prices compared with the Hammond Suzuki and Roland keyboards. I like how one can split the upper and lower manuals on the Nord combo organs to have a piano sound on the lower and organ from the top. I see your in Tampa, I'm in Melbourne, Fl straight across on the other coast.

Cool. There's a fair number of Floridians that seem to hang out on KSS... so welcome aboard.
                                What I make with way too many blinky light modular items, plugins, and an Alesis Andromeda.
                                Forbidden Star: home studio / melodic ambient / New Age / the deep zone
                                Boney Fiend: the band, man / punk / garage / beer

Comment

Working...
                                X