new korg ipad synth - ipolysix

cresshead

• Members

Uaaah! Just when I thought, that Korg had sort of relaxed with their iPad development.

Doesn't look like the Detune ltd made this...which reminds me, that it would be nice, if Korg would add an unison mode into this some day.

I wonder, whats Detune cooking up then... It looks like they have gone their own ways, which might mean that iMS's development doesn't continue any more. 4 voices in it might have made me want an iPad even more than MicroKorg.

Kronos owners care to make a comparison of MSes and Polysixes?

• Members

I understand iPolySix can be triggered from an external MIDI keyboard. I have a few questions related to this:

1. Does iPolySix allow you to change which MIDI channel it responds to?

2. Can it operate on the iPad in the background? i.e. I would like to be able to bring my setlist/chart reading program to the "front" while my keyboard continues to trigger iPolySix "invisibly"

3. Do any of the iPolySix controls respond to MIDI CC? For example, could I assign a MIDI-definable knob on my keyboard controller to operate the Filter Cutoff function on the iPolySix?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post
Does anyone know if this is compatible with the iRig?
You mean iRig MIDI correct? I am at work now, but I am planning to buy the app this evening. I can test it with iRig MIDI at that time.

Also, Korg's iPolysix web site states that the synth includes "support for performing with an external USB-MIDI keyboard such as the microKEY or nanoKEY2 (via the iPad Camera Connection Kit)". So you might not need an iRig MIDI at all if you have the camera connection kit and a keyboard that sends MIDI out via USB.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Gribs View Post
You mean iRig MIDI correct? I am at work now, but I am planning to buy the app this evening. I can test it with iRig MIDI at that time.

Also, Korg's iPolysix web site states that the synth includes "support for performing with an external USB-MIDI keyboard such as the microKEY or nanoKEY2 (via the iPad Camera Connection Kit)". So you might not need an iRig MIDI at all if you have the camera connection kit and a keyboard that sends MIDI out via USB.
Yes, the iRig MIDI. I already own it and do not have the Camera Connection Kit. Before I plunk down $15 for this I'd prefer to know that I can play it using my keyboards via the iRig MIDI device.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by keybdwizrd

View Post

Yes, the iRig MIDI. I already own it and do not have the Camera Connection Kit. Before I plunk down $15 for this I'd prefer to know that I can play it using my keyboards via the iRig MIDI device.

give me 20 minutes and i'll check that for you, i have the same device.

• Members

Wow, the synth really is Octatrack fodder then. Korg recommends using at least an iPad2 though, and I am still using version 1. We will see if I can get two channels of synth and the drums without crashing or audible defects.

• Members

i have the 3, and i made it burp with some of the effects automation you can do. love the option to either record live automation or pull up an automation step sequencer per knob.

the only thing i've noticed - there are essentially three seperate main sequencers in this app (two for synth one for drums), plus a sequencer per knob for step-automation functions. you can change the pattern length, but when you do that it seems to apply that pattern length to all the step sequencers globally. i wish they were freely assignable, the patterns as is remain rather static and typical loops.

the drums sound awesome, and i just realized that each drum sound is a 'frozen' instance of polysix. so essentially you can create 6 seperate drum sounds on six seperate polysixes for your percussion. not bad.

the mixer is persnickity for me still, the mute buttons are too small for live performance muting and unmuting of parts. i think i will mostly be using this as a sound module rather than a groovebox, as there is no clock sync that i can find. that's really too bad.

saving sounds, saving patterns and essential utility functions are really well thought out in this app - almost every window has a dedicated 'utility' button that allows you to clear parameters, copy parameters & patterns etc. very intuitive in that regard, much easier than with the PPG app. i'd consider the PPG app much more powerful in a different way, but the polysix is much more approachable as a complete jamming environment (if people still want that).

i also like that they provide you with seperate menus for preset sounds and your own sounds - and they only include the original polysix presets! nothing is worse than having to wade through 2000 gong noises to get to the patches you developed (i'm looking at you, animoog). polysix provides a complete seperate bank for your own presets in addition to the factory bank. encourages exploration of the synth.

definitely worth the 14.99 price, overall. ipad is really killing it for music apps these days.

• Members

bought it yesterday...i'm running it on ipad 3 just so you know the hardware situation.

really like the sound of it.
It's a shame there's no double tap to zoom into the screen for the knobs unlike the ims20 as it's tricky to set them exactly where you want them.

the live RECORD feature seems laggy and lots of missed timing when playing back your live record...i have to fix up notes in the step editor...which brings me to...the step editor it looks nice and shiney but is a right royal pain to use/see what notes you've placed..less gloss more usable u.i. would really help here...not as good as the ims20 for clean u.i in the step editor.

on the upside you can record 4 bar patterns so you can do more musical stuff than just 1 bar repeat dubstep. the song editor is pretty groovy too....reminds me of the nintendo korg DS10

drum sounds are frozen polysix synth sounds..that's great touch.

bottomline?..even with the issues above it's in my opinion the best ios synth app out there..it sounds stunning and has some great features.

for version 1.0 it's a fantastic release which i'd defo say go for it when put up against the animoog and sunrizer...currently it's price sits in between those 2 but offers much more capability to construct a song riff with just the ipad app.

up against the ims20 i'd say from my breif time with the polysix i'd spend more time with this in future than the ims20, both are great however and darn cheap when considering up against pc soft synths.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianRock

View Post

Why do soft synths like this cost 15 dollars for the iPad but they'll cost a lot more for the PC? Do they expect the iPad/iPhone apps to sell much more due to no piracy?

well with the share connection to ipad you get a live stream sense of just how many people are using it and uploading to sounds cloud...seems a new riff/pattern or whole song goes up every few mins from around the planet...it's selling well!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by cresshead

View Post

drum sounds are frozen polysix synth sounds..that's great touch.

Seems like this might be an issue since the Polysix doesn't have a noise generator (to make cymbals, high hats, snares, etc.) Is there some kind of option to use additional samples for the drums? It'd be cool to load it up with some Roland TR samples.

Archived