MOXF8 - How they holding up?

pdiddy

• Members

Looking for input from road warriors on the gig-worthiness of this board. Running an s70XS now which is holding it's own perfectly. Zero issues. Would like to retire it as my home studio board and gig backup board and use a MOXF8 for gigging. Tired of waiting for next gen s-board - and it will probably be too heavy too long and with the stupid outboard wheels anyway. The MOX will be an upgrade capability wise as long as it can stand a little abuse. Any issues so far?

• Members

Mine has been fine for what's been about a year and a couple of dozen gigs. Not sure what sort of abuse you're planning on putting yours through. Mine travels around in a plastic SKB case (one of the generic ones that's a bit too big for the board itself so I stuff cables and pedals in there too), gets tossed in and out of a trailer and/or the back of my SUV and dragged around on the wheels since it's too heavy to carry very far by the handle. Dragged across pavement and gravel and whatever else lies between the trailer and the stage.

Probably has fallen over while in the case a couple of times while waiting to be set up and then is on and off the stand for gigging. Rinse and repeat.

I've never yet fully dropped it or dropped anything heavy on it, but the board works flawlessly and the plastic casing that is the concern most seem to have for "build quality" is holding up just fine.

I might have whacked a singer in the back of the head once or twice with it.

• Members

Thanks Guido, I think i'm gonna pick one up this fall. I'm also noticing over at Motivator most of the MOXF topics are "how to" and not alot of complaints. My S70Xs in a hard case is a beast to handle and I think it would make a fine studio and practice board. I've had no occasions where it was dropped or endangered so far... will seriously consider a good soft case for it too.

• Members

When I decided I wanted a fully-weighted 88-key synth for gigging, the irony quickly became clear that, while gigging is where you most need things like a sturdy hard shell for your keyboard, it's also where you want your gear to be as light as possible.

At $1900 and 30 lbs less than the Motif XF8, I think the MOXF8 is an incredible bargain. Some people claim it doesn't sound as good as the Motif XF8---but they either have better hearing than me or are imagining it, because I can't tell the difference.

If I didn't already own a Kronos 61, I'd probably have looked at a Kronos 73 and a Motif XF6 for my rig (then again, at $3400 and 43 lbs for the Kronos 73, maybe not.....)

The sounds on the MOXF8 are way above the sounds on the original Motif6 that it replaced, although there a couple of specific sounds missing that I used regularly that it doesn't have. Odd. You'd think with all the capacity of the MOXF8, they'd have included every sound they ever designed for the Motif series...

As far as the plastic case goes---yes. I imagine if you drop it or bang it hard enough, it will crack and break easier than a Motif. (Not sure if the internal parts would be more easily damaged or not?) But the idea is not to drop or bang your keyboards hard in the first place. Not something I plan on doing but...accidents do happen. So if all the extra expense and weight of a Motif is worth it as an insurance policy for someone....there it is. Since I can buy two of these for less than the cost of a XF8, I'll take my chances.

Only you can know what sort of carrying case you would need. I don't like using soft bags with heavy gear because the weight of the gear itself ends up ripping and tearing the bag. And this board is so long and cumbersome that you're bound to smack it into things while walking around corners and loading it in and out of cars. One of those kind of harder shell softcases like SKB makes? That could work. I use one of those for my M-Audio Venom. But the board weighs next-to-nothing and the case even less. Anything more would be overkill, IMO.

Archived