Playing via CV/gate

veracohr

• Members

Hey y'all. Got a question:

I've never controlled a synth via CV/gate until now, and I don't know if my stuff isn't working right or if I have wrong expectations.

I've been building a simple MIDI-CV converter for a school project. Finally got it working and the outputs scaled properly, and then I hook it up to my BassStation Rack, which can accept CV/gate inputs for its own internal converter (both CV-MIDI and MIDI-CV).

The issue is that if I play one note, hold it, then press another, I expect the new note to play but not retrigger the envelopes (monophonic synth). The pitch doesn't change though. I can see that my converter is doing exactly what I wanted it to do, it changes the output CV based on the last note I played, but the BassStation doesn't change pitch until I release all keys and press another.

To summarize: when the CV changes, should I expect the oscillator frequency to change even if the gate has not stopped and started again? Is this maybe specific to the BassStation, or...?

• Members

veracohr wrote: 

To summarize: when the CV changes, should I expect the oscillator frequency to change even if the gate has not stopped and started again? Is this maybe specific to the BassStation, or...?

Sounds like the BassStation is not responding correctly. It may be set up to latch the notes until it sees a new trigger. This is contrary to how most real analog gear behaves.

• Members

sounds like how the control processing is implemented on the bassstation. 

I'd suspect (just suspect) it's processing pitch info as part of a note-On message internally so it's not continuously tracking the CV like in a synth that uses CV natively (internally)

I'd say try your convertor on another slave

Archived