Roland D70 Factory reset

dwight17

• Members

Hey Forum,

I'm new here and allready in need of urgent help!!

I did a factory reset on my roland d70 (Powered on holding down BANK 8, pressed ENTER then pressed WRITE.......stupid stupid stupid!!) and tried to reset the factory sounds by doing a sysex dump through a link I've found on the internet (http://www.synthzone.com/midi/roland/d70/D70/) ,but with no succes.

I think I'm doing something wrong but I can not figure out what.

Anyone can tell me what I am doing wrong or anyone can can instruct me how to get my Roland D70 back to how it was?

• Members

You need the help of Paolo, he did a guess the synth game both on here and on GS and went into great detail about factory resets on a thread over there with Don Solaris...

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/513884-guess-synth-game-21-a.html

If reading through that thread doesn't give you an immediate answer then drop him a PM or he will will be along shortly, he's a moderator here and will be no doubt be able to help you further.:thu:

• Members

I'm here :D

Don't worry! You only need to slow down the transmission rate of the sysex, and the D-70 will receive it.

You can also press 5 when powering up and it will offer the menu to load sysex, but I found you don't need it really... the D-70 receives the sysex from the main screen as well (which right now you see as a garbled mess - it's okay).

The key in my case was to slow down the sysex transmission to very slow.

You can use any sysex software you like, but the shareware Bome's SendSX worked well for me:

1. Go to Options-->Settings and set the "Speed of Sending MIDI" to the lowest position

2. In the same menu, set "Wrap long sysex messages upon loading".

3. Also don't forget to select the MIDI interface that you are using, in the Bome's "Midi Out" menu.

4. Connect the MIDI out from your computer to the D-70's MIDI In

5. On the D-70, press Edit -->System Setup and set the "Exclusive RX" to ON and the Unit Number to "17"

6. Send the sysex to the D-70 -

• Members

Paolo you saved me man...., I followed all the steps you mentioned. And it worked!!!! Only thing I had to do was to switch the internal memory to off (switch was on the back). Thanks alot!!!!

Links I used:

FTP server for D70 files (.MID, Patches and .SYX)

Download the d70_orig.syx for factory sounds.

(http://www.synthzone.com/midi/roland/d70/D70/)

Bome's Sendsx 1.30(to transer .syx file to your d70)

(http://www.bome.com/products/sendsx/downloads

This worked for me!!!

:thu:

• Members

Hi,

Now that I see some D70 users... I love the Piano and Strings factory patch... yes, it's fake, but yes it is perfect for music of that era... I was wondering if somebody knew if that patch has been ported exactly to any sampler or other synth (not in my XV 3080)... that sound has some magic in it...

Thanks,

Regards,

Hipo

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Newbie to all this stuff. I have a D70 that was missing a ton of patches and wanted to a factory reset. I did everything Paolo said to do, but I keep getting an error when I start the dump that says "Exclusive Data Error! ". Here's step by step what I'm doing when I try to do a factory reset.

1) Hook up computer to keyboard with a USB to MIDI cable.

2) Open Bome's SendSX version 1.30

3) Change Settings to Wrap Long Sysex Messages Upon Loading

4) Set the MIDI Out to USB Audio Device and MIDI In to USB Device

5) Turn on Keyboard and hit Edit

6) Hit F5 for System Setup

7) Turn On Exclusive RX and Set the Unit Number to 17

8) Open the Sysex file d70_orig.syx

9) Hit Send

And as soon as I do that I get the error message on my Keyboard Screen. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this stuff, so if there's anything anyone can think of - and I mean ANYTHING - that I am doing wrong or not doing at all, please let me know.

And to top it all off...I have a gig in two days and need to use it! http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/eek.gif

Thanks!

• Members

Newbie to all this stuff. I have a D70 that was missing a ton of patches and wanted to a factory reset. I did everything Paolo said to do, but I keep getting an error when I start the dump that says "Exclusive Data Error!
". Here's step by step what I'm doing when I try to do a factory reset.

1) Hook up computer to keyboard with a USB to MIDI cable.

2) Open Bome's SendSX version 1.30

3) Change Settings to Wrap Long Sysex Messages Upon Loading

4) Set the MIDI Out to USB Audio Device and MIDI In to USB Device

5) Turn on Keyboard and hit Edit

6) Hit F5 for System Setup

7) Turn On Exclusive RX and Set the Unit Number to 17

8) Open the Sysex file d70_orig.syx

9) Hit Send

And as soon as I do that I get the error message on my Keyboard Screen. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this stuff, so if there's anything anyone can think of - and I mean ANYTHING - that I am doing wrong or not doing at all, please let me know.

And to top it all off...I have a gig in two days and need to use it!

Thanks!

Maybe a long shot, but did you turned on the synth?

• Members

Maybe a long shot, but did you turned on the synth?

Yes I had the D70 on when I started the dump. I tried the midi dump two ways:

*The first being at the main screen (which didn't do anything)

* and the second way by holding 5 and powering on and selecting F2 for Bulk Load (which gives me an error message once I start the dump from my computer).

Somebody HELP! I want my D70 back!!!

Please help :(

• Members

Yes I had the D70 on when I started the dump. I tried the midi dump two ways:

*The first being at the main screen (which didn't do anything)

* and the second way by holding 5 and powering on and selecting F2 for Bulk Load (which gives me an error message once I start the dump from my computer).

Somebody HELP! I want my D70 back!!!

Please help
:(

You don't mention it in your post above, so just to double-check... have you set the sysex transmission speed in Bome at its lowest?

Go to Options-->Settings and set the "Speed of Sending MIDI" to the lowest position

because if you get the transmission error message as soon as you start the transmission, that sounds like the speed is too fast and the D-70 can't handle it (just a guess)

Also, for my experience, not all MIDI interfaces are created equal... some work better than others - and again, for experience, "cheaper" MIDI-USB interfaces like the M-Audio Uno and similar knockoff offerings from eBay, while being fine for triggering MIDI instruments, don't work very well for transmitting Sysex data, especially with older instruments like the D-70.

If you have a chance, also try an older but "beefier" MIDI interface, instead of a chepear MIDI-USB interface ... because that could also be the problem...

Also, like dwight17 above noted... set the protect switch to off in the back...

Finally, what sysex file of the original sounds are you using? It could also be a corrupted file...

Keep us posted, if all fails, I can try to do a video with all the steps going from my computer to the D-70 .. good luck for now

• Members

Hey Paolo thanks for responding!

I have the "Speed of Sending MIDI" set to the lowest position in Bome. I am using the d70_orig.syx file downloaded from dwight17's link above.

If you could do a video I would appreciate it so much, but I know that would take time and energy out of your day.

Also, I tried using the sysex software called MIDIEX Patch Exchange Utility. I don't know if this is the software I would need to perform this dump, but everything about it indicates it is. It was found at this link:

http://www.synthzone.com/midi/roland/d70/D70/

It is the last file on the list you are able to select and it is called d70sysex.zip

Lastly, which older MIDI Interfaces would you recommend trying?

Thanks for your time and help!

• Members

So, after many slow, painful, mind numbing hours of trying to restore the D70 I made some progress. This is what I did and it somewhat worked for me.

1) Downloaded the d70orig.mid file from the link dwight 17 posted.

2) Downloaded MIDIOX

3) Set the buffer in MIDIOX to 33 for both the output buffer and input buffer (this can be changed under "Options" where it says "Configure Buffers...")

4) Selected "Play Midi..." from the "Actions" menu which opens MIDI Bar (included in the MIDIOX download)

5) Opened the d70orig.mid file

6) Set the MCI Port to USB Audio Device

7) Played the d70orig.mid file into the D70

But, like I said above, this only partially worked. I still received an errorload message on the D70, but it wasn't any of the ones I received earlier. All the names of the patches are back on the D70, but a few of them are really quirky and don't sound right. Also, I am unable to edit any of the patches in any way, whether it be setting a zone or a cutoff value, etc. However, I am able to access the patches that I need (mainly the organ and piano patches) and use them.

I tried using Bome's SendSX to load the original sysex file, but had no luck whatsoever. I would always get an error message on the D70 no matter what I adjusted in Bome.

Also, I used the Boot Sequence 5 when powering on the D70 to do a Bulk MIDI Dump because I had no luck trying to dump the midi file on the main screen.

So, all that being said and done...I'm still not satisfied!! (But a lot less frustrated)

Does anyone have the d70orig.mid file from a different source other than the one I used from dwight17's link?? The only two things I can think of that caused the midi dump to be incomplete are 1) The midi file I used is corrupt in some way, or 2) The rate that the midi file was sent was still too fast.

Sorry this post is so long, but if it helps anyone out in the future who is experiencing the difficulties I am I guess it's worth it! And on that note, I'm going to bed.

• Members

Sorry if I have missed something, but what midi interface are you using, your step by step instructions says you connected the keyboard to the computer with a usb to midi cable, does it have an interface in the middle of it? If it doesn't you will get no results at all.

• Members

Roly, I used a USB to MIDI Cable that has an interface between it. However, it is a pretty dang cheap cable and may be the root cause of why my midi dump wouldn't complete. What would you recommend I use to dump the midi file??

I'm very new to the world of midi, so any advice from anyone with experience helps a ton.

Also, if anyone has any tutorials or advice on VST plugins and using my keyboard as a midi controller...

• Members

Roly, I used a USB to MIDI Cable that has an interface between it. However, it is a pretty dang cheap cable and may be the root cause of why my midi dump wouldn't complete. What would you recommend I use to dump the midi file??

I'm very new to the world of midi, so any advice from anyone with experience helps a ton.

Also, if anyone has any tutorials or advice on VST plugins and using my keyboard as a midi controller...

Adam,

I have had good results with the M-Audio Midisport 1x1. It is an older, relatively inexpensive ($40 street, and of course you can get it on eBay for much less), solid MIDI-USB interface.

Also, not sure if you are new at computer audio, but eventually, if you want to record onto a DAW on your computer, you'll need a dedicated audio interface, and many of those have MIDI ports on - it might be a good investment to get a dedicated audio interface that already has MIDI IN & OUT.

I would keep trying with the sysex file instead of the mid though. For my experience, sysex always works better than mid files when transmitting data to synths... the sysex file at the link provided above worked fine with my D-70 (sorry, I don't mean to rub it in :( )

• Members

The D70 is back in business!

After many failed attempts, I have FINALLY restored my Roland D70 to factory settings. And the method that worked was:

Download the d70orig.mid file and play it in Windows Media Player. I don't know why this worked (or why I even tried it), but it did! I still got an "errorload" message when the midi file was transferring, but everything is in full working order. I guess that's the way to go about it if you have a cheap midi interface.

Thank you all for your help! I would be completely lost if it weren't for forums like this one.

I've delved in to the magical world of VST Plugins today, too, and I'm amazed by it! I'm currently using Organized Trio for Hammond organ sounds and it is amazing! I feel like a kid in a candy store. I'm using the D70 as my MIDI Controller and I was wondering if there is a way to use my hold and expression pedals in conjunction with the VST Plugin. Can anyone point me in the right direction??

Thanks again Paolo.

• Members

The D70 is back in business!

After many failed attempts, I have FINALLY restored my Roland D70 to factory settings. And the method that worked was:

Download the d70orig.mid file and play it in Windows Media Player. I don't know why this worked (or why I even tried it), but it did! I still got an "errorload" message when the midi file was transferring, but everything is in full working order. I guess that's the way to go about it if you have a cheap midi interface.

Thank you all for your help! I would be completely lost if it weren't for forums like this one.

I've delved in to the magical world of VST Plugins today, too, and I'm amazed by it! I'm currently using Organized Trio for Hammond organ sounds and it is amazing! I feel like a kid in a candy store. I'm using the D70 as my MIDI Controller and I was wondering if there is a way to use my hold and expression pedals in conjunction with the VST Plugin. Can anyone point me in the right direction??

Thanks again Paolo.

Glad to hear you got it to work!

Yes, that Organized Trio plugin was good, especially for a Freeware.

The Organized Trio is already factory-mapped to MIDI CC64 (sustain pedal) , so - say - if you want to control the speed of the rotary speaker, just press on your hold (sustain) pedal to engage the effect on and off.

You can easily change all the MIDI CC parameters on both the Organized Trio and the D-70, if you prefer.

For example, if you click on the little square toggle switch on Organized Trio to the right of the "Stereo Spread" button, the CC menu will pop up. You can change a bunch of parameters there - for example, if you'd rather have the modulation lever on your D-70 to change the speed, simply enter "1" (modulation wheel) instead of the default 64 on the Rotary Switch CC , and you will see than now the speed of the rotary is being controlled by your D-70's modulation lever instead of the sustain pedal.

However, I'd take this a bit further and I would delve in the D-70's "MIDI Controller Map", so you can assign any parameter to the assignable "C1" slider on the D-70, which is perfect to sort-of-emulate the classic "half moon" that many real Hammond organs had attached to them, to control the speed of their Leslie(s).

On your D-70, click on "MIDI OUT" two times, until you see the screen

"MIDI CTRL MAP".

Then click on "C1/Exp"

You can then specify what CC parameter to assign to the C1 slider. You can select two parameters on it, for both the C1/Expression pedal.

Cursor onto the "Function" column and select the CC you want to use, for example, if you leave the Organized Trio at its factory-setting of CC64 for the Leslie, simply scroll with the D-70's wheel until you see "C.Chg 64/Hold-1", set it to a destination (Both if fine, later on, if you feel like experimenting, you can set different destinations to different zones/midi channels so you can control Lower/Upper manuals independently etc)

It's obviously been surpassed by today's technology, but the D-70 was a fairly robust MIDI master keyboard in its days.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Please Help me out here I have a Roland D70 and it has sat in the hard case for several years. When I powered it up the green backlit display is lit but there is no data on the LCD. Also all the buttons with red lights on the front panel are lit. I tried to do a factory reset and no luck. None of the buttons seem to work. If I power it on and off I can see a horizontal line flash across the display for a millesecond then disappear. I have replaced the battery on the motherboard as well as inspected visually the boards and cannot find any signs of damage. The keyboard does not have any sound via headphones or amplification. Please help I do not know what to do.....

I have scoured the web regarding this issue and cannot find anything related to this problem. I am hoping that there is someone out here who can point me in the right direction to get this keyboard repaired.

Archived