looking for a keyboard sampler

doctari

• Members

I'm looking for a keyboard that can store samples for live use. Not so interested in the perfect piano, or in rhythmic looping, but I do need to be able to map sounds across the keyboard with splits. And I need to be able to

• Members

An ipad/ipod touch with Bs16i will do this. The Bs16i app is a soundfont player, and you can use the free program "vienna" to build soundfonts. I've used Bs16i quite a bit live on my ipad2, basically as a sampler/player. I have a couple of 200MB soundfonts that I use quite a bit, the whole thing loads up ready to play in about 5 seconds. Unless you're willing to play the keys on the ipad screen you'd need a controller and a MIDI interface, both of which are pretty inexpensive.

Or, you might consider a used Roland Fantom XR. It has a CF card slot, and you can upgrade it to 512MB RAM very cheaply. Again, you'd need a controller.

• Members

Another possibility is the Waldorf Blofeld, available in a well priced module version if you have a keyboard to drive it. Full synth functionality on your own loadable samples, it sounds like it could be an ideal choice.

The Fantom XR is a nice piece, but slow to load samples, no easy real time access to filters and such, and just a bit hard to use in general. But if you needed full "rompler" capabilities as well as sample playback and synth functionality, it can cover it.

• Members

I picked up a Roland Fantom XA for $500 recently, it has expandable memory (I had an extra 256mb chip laying around that popped right in). I haven't messed with it too much but it can map samples to keys or to the keypads.

Archived