Even though you guys don't seem to like vintage....

mhuxtable

• Members

Lovely!

Yesterday the Mark II top I ordered for my Mark I came. I'd wanted one of those for decades and finally pulled the trigger.

But I never noticed before that the Mark II faceplate is taller than the Mark I faceplate. so there's a gap between the top of the faceplate and the bottom of the front opening in the top. :-( Not sure what I'm going to do to fix that. The Mark II top is higher in general, too -- avoids a problem I'd had with the bottom tonebar buzzing against the top (easily worked around, just pull that corner up). If I had the right tool for the job, I could just take 1/2" off the bottom and it'd be fine, but I'm really not sure how I'd tackle that job without making a botch of it.

But it's great being able to use the top of the Rhodes! Mostly, I'll use it for packing and unpacking guitars and keyboards from their cases. I do that a lot, so I'll really enjoy having it.

Too bad I don't have a Moog to put there!

PS: I just noticed that they changed the erroneous "Input" label to "Output" on the Mark II. About time! :lol:

• Members

What Conbrio said.

A lot of people here love vintage kit, but the price of most of it now has gone way beyond it's value for what it is/does, and people's means aren;t what they were necessarily perhaps a few years ago.

Also it got kind of hyped out for a while... guess everyone is just giving it a rest.

• Members

Yer kidding right? I love vintage... as long it belongs to someone else ;)

If I had the skills+time+money to maintain it (and also play it the way it should be played) and a place to put it, I would love to have stuff like that.

I *do* have some vintage guitar stuff (1981 ES335 and Music Man HD150 amp, a green MXR analog delay, and original Cry Baby wah). The guitar is plug-and-play, but the amp needs some repair/maintenance (probably just some isolation caps need to be replaced). A Music Man amp like mine would probably be really nice with a Rhodes. It is very clean and loud and has 2xElectrovoice 12" EVMs with giant magnets in it (a factory upgrade when I bought it so it weighs a ton). The design has a solid state preamp and a 100 W power amp with 4x6L6 tubes. The sound is quite sweet even at soft volumes... but I am not selling it. Those EVM speakers are awesome.

• Members

Yeah the work and price can be prohibitive....luckily I'm a deal hunter. This came with the lid, legs and sustain pedal, in tune working perfectly....$500 :). Hell of a lot more than the $50-100 you could get them for 10 years ago, but still a great price these days.

• Members

Some of my best teenage memories were dreaming about owning a JX-3P, a Jupiter 6, a POLY SIX, or a DX7. I actually bought a mint condition MONO/POLY for $400 in 1984 and sold it in 86 to fund a DX21. WORST mistake ever. What were we talking about, oh yea I love vintage gear!!!!

• Members

I have two vintage organs, a Vox Super Continental from around 67 or 68, and a Farfisa Compact Duo from about the same.

I love them a lot, but I found when I was playing the Farfisa a lot, I was wearing out the footages. That is, there is a contact on every key for every footage, and the more I played it, the more of them would stop working.

So for the most part I stopped playing them, and stick to my Nord C1. I take them out every once in a while to give em a romp, but put most of the wear and tear on the Nord.

Apart from that, I've grown a little weary of most vintage keyboards. I don't like most analog synths except Oberheims and Moogs.

• Members

Yer kidding right? I love vintage... as long it belongs to someone else
;)

Same here. The oldest pieces of gear I have might be my big-box Deluxe Memory Man pedal and my acoustic viola (it's probably not a Stradivarius, lol, but I'm sure it's older than any of my guitars).

• Members

This came with the lid, legs and sustain pedal, in tune working perfectly....$500 . Hell of a lot more than the $50-100 you could get them for 10 years ago, but still a great price these days.

That's a great deal for 5 bills!. Really, you could get them as low as $50? More than 10 years ago, because I remember checking prices in the early 2000's and a Rhodes in good shape was $800 (about the same as now, searching ebay).

I do remember putting mine on consignment for $350 in 1985 as I was going to be out of the country for 6 months. It was still there when I got back, which made me happy. I think I have the DX7 (which I loathe) to thank for this. :lol:

My vintage gear: 1977 Rhodes Mark I

1977 Roland RE-301 Chorus Echo

1928 Steniway M (paid all of $2500 for it! but, it has ... issues)

1960's National LPC (Les Paul Copy -- which nobody seems to know they ever made. It's a cheapie knockoff but a nifty little guitar since I replaced all the hardware. Got 490 pickups for free from a friend.)

1965 Fender Jazzmaster

I didn't get any of this stuff to be "vintage", it's just what I got at the time, the bottom three used but in the 70's / early 80's.

Oh yeah, I still have my TASCAM 40-4 reel-to-reel 4-track 1/4" multitracking deck: their best. Anyone wanna make me an offer on that? I also have a bunch of old mixers, because I still use them!

Vintage gear is way cool, but thank goodness for technology so we don't have to lug it around. I still remember the day I donated my CP70 with great joy, knowing I'd never have to move it again.

• Members

I actually bought a mint condition MONO/POLY for $400 in 1984 and sold it in 86 to fund a DX21.

:facepalm:

I think we've all made some bad decisions that still haunt us today.

When I got off the road in 89 I sold all my gear to one guy (package deal) because I needed money for school.

I ended up selling him my mint OB-Xa with MIDI + Anvil roadcase that I bought from the keyboard player of 'Images in Vogue' for $1,000, as he loads up his truck with all my gear he looks in the garage and points at my old Roland SH-5 and says "whats that?" Oh, go ahead, take it, I dont need it!"

I rebought the SH-5 in January for $2300 :lol:, amd the OB-Xa im still looking for and I know it's going to cost me huge. Fuck I'm stupid!

• Members

I actually bought a mint condition MONO/POLY for $400 in 1984 and sold it in 86 to fund a DX21. WORST mistake ever.

Yeah, lots of people ditched their analog gear for some sort of Yammy FM synth back in the 80's.

• Members

Had, but gone now:

Yamaha CP70

Prophet-5

DX-7

OB-8

Still Have:

Yamaha KX-5 (original owner)

1965 Bach Stradivarius Trumpet, Mount Vernon, mint cond

Audio Art 4100 Parametric EQ (2)

1963 Gibson J-45

1970 Les Paul Custom

Korg WaveStation A/D SN 000563

Kawai K-5000S

• Members

That's a great deal for 5 bills!. Really, you could get them as low as $50? More than 10 years ago, because I remember checking prices in the early 2000's and a Rhodes in good shape was $800 (about the same as now, searching ebay).

I do remember putting mine on consignment for $350 in 1985 as I was going to be out of the country for 6 months. It was still there when I got back, which made me happy. I think I have the DX7 (which I loathe) to thank for this.
:lol:

My vintage gear: 1977 Rhodes Mark I

1977 Roland RE-301 Chorus Echo

1928 Steniway M (paid all of $2500 for it! but, it has ... issues)

1960's National LPC (Les Paul Copy -- which nobody seems to know they ever made. It's a cheapie knockoff but a nifty little guitar since I replaced all the hardware. Got 490 pickups for free from a friend.)

1965 Fender Jazzmaster

I didn't get any of this stuff to be "vintage", it's just what I got at the time, the bottom three used but in the 70's / early 80's.

Oh yeah, I still have my TASCAM 40-4 reel-to-reel 4-track 1/4" multitracking deck: their best. Anyone wanna make me an offer on that? I also have a bunch of old mixers, because I still use them!

Vintage gear is way cool, but thank goodness for technology so we don't have to lug it around. I still remember the day I donated my CP70 with great joy, knowing I'd never have to move it again.

Yeah dude I vividly remember my roommate buying a Rhodes a couple of times for insanely cheap. I also had a Wurlitzer student electric I bought for $50. Roomie also got an 80s Gibson LP Standard for $300 back then :lol: those were the days!

• Members

I love vintage boards so much that I've spent literally thousands of hours trying to emulate them in our products.

While of course I have to do that for work, I love nothing more than getting to play the real thing.

I have a mint CP70 at home, and lots of people at the office have a cool old piece or two... these days we've been playing around with an ARP Odyssey (with the side-car expander) that someone brought in.

I think one likely explanation for the low number of replies is simply that the subject of "vintage keys" is not a contentious one.

Most on this forum probably agree that vintage keys rule, end of story. Usually threads with lots of replies involve questions, debates or topics that have more of a grey area.

Dave Weiser

Kurzweil R&D

• Members

i hate vintage stuff... it's a bunch of unreliable, flat-sounding crap.

I just offered a guy from the want ads $2500 cash for an OB-Xa, he didnt reply.

Some of these guys get their expectations set so unrealistically high.

They see one listing on Ebay where 'once' an item sold for a crazy amount, and all of a sudden they thinbk thats the new bench mark.

Archived