hot outdoor gigs

Stokely

• Members

I'm gigging pretty regularly for the first time in about 25 years (!) and I don't recall what I used to do to handle hot outdoor gigs.  I'm in FL by the way....We have a number of them coming up and while it's not yet summer heat it's plenty warm.  

Anyone have some good tips to avoid short-circuiting my gear?  I sweat on every gig, even without the old hot lights, these outdoor ones will be killer.  I hope they are under shade...argh.

I was thinking have a cooler with cold drinks and a few cold towels; a fan (our drummer uses one); towel to quickly wipe off my boards; and silly as they may look, a couple wristbands (hey didn't Steve Walsh wear those?!) .  I may have to go with the shorts as much as seeing my pasty beefy calves is not going to scream "rock n roll"...no jorts though, I have some standards.  I have a black really long pair of baggies (swimsuit for non-beach personnel), those might be ok.

Have they perfected air-conditioned clothing yet?

• Members

Your post raises two issues ... the first is how to avoid problems with overheated gear.   It's been my experience that as long as you keep it out of direct sunlight - you shouldn't have many problems with gear overheating.  

The second issue raised in your post was how to keep the musicians cool - which started to go down the whole "shorts" rabbithole.   The only thing more controversial is whether or not music stands are considered acceptable!  I'm in the "go with whatever you feel works best for you" gang on both of those topics - but that's just me.  I've learned long ago to "never say never".   There are no shortable of folks who would disagree with me.  

• Members

I realize my post didn't really have much in the way of questions, it was more of a lamentation :)

I didn't even think about overheating gear.  I have a giant landscaper's hat from home depot, I'll have that on if I'm in the sun, but that won't shade all of my top boards of course.  Maybe I should bring my big beach umbrella and stand!  (Seriously I've had a bunch of skin cancer, and having sunscreen-laden sweat dripping on my gear doesn't sound good for it).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Stokely wrote:

I'm gigging pretty regularly for the first time in about 25 years (!) and I don't recall what I used to do to handle hot outdoor gigs.  I'm in FL by the way....We have a number of them coming up and while it's not yet summer heat it's plenty warm.  

Anyone have some good tips to avoid short-circuiting my gear?  I sweat on every gig, even without the old hot lights, these outdoor ones will be killer.  I hope they are under shade...argh.

I was thinking have a cooler with cold drinks and a few cold towels; a fan (our drummer uses one); towel to quickly wipe off my boards; and silly as they may look, a couple wristbands (hey didn't Steve Walsh wear those?!) .  I may have to go with the shorts as much as seeing my pasty beefy calves is not going to scream "rock n roll"...no jorts though, I have some standards.  I have a black really long pair of baggies (swimsuit for non-beach personnel), those might be ok.

Have they perfected air-conditioned clothing yet?

lots of bottled water.  If you are in the sun a long sleeve fishing shirt, and shorts and my tilly vented hat.   I live by the beach near brownsville tx.   It gets hot down here.   I also have keep the center tube from a roll of paper towels handy too ,,, sure fire way to be able to see the led readouts on your board in bright sunlight.   Look through it and you can see those pesky leds.  Sunblock is a must ,, but you do have to have some pre packaged wipes to clean off yoru hands.  another handy deal are those pre packaged glasses cleaners.   As for the no shorts rule ,,, we say screw that ,, its freekin hot.  

Archived