z-stand vs stantastic (or others)

Stokely

• Members

I use a two-tier Onstage z-stand, and for $75 new it has been fantastic....once it's up on the stage.  My only beef with it is that it's a bit cumbersome to move if you leave it assembled (if you don't, you need more time to put it together).  Looking for fast and easy here!  Actually a second beef would be that it eats space in my van and takes a trip by itself to bring it in (and it's awkward with doors etc).

I'm thinking maybe to get a different two-tier for gigs and leave the z set up at home.  I love the stability of the z, and that's what led me to the Standtastic as a possible alternative.  It appears pretty easy to fold it and put it in the bag, which would be very appreciated!  Others: I've owned one Apex-style in the past and it was NOT stable, though it was the lowest model (Deltex iirc).   The spider is more than I'm wanting to spend I think.

Anyway, my main question is: would a 2-tier z-stand have a similar footprint to a Standtastic?  I keep reading that the footprint is quite large on those.  My z is not small but it's not been too much problem space-wise on stage.

Minor question: I have a mic attachment that goes into the end of one of the tubes on either an x-stand or my z stand.  It goes in and then tightens against the inside to hold a boom mic attachment; it doesn't appear like you'd be able to do that with the Standtastic.  I've heard that the mic attachment stinks on the Standtastic--if so, what are the alternatives?  Am I back to using a mic stand?  (This has been a quest of mine, to find a more elegant mic solution...something like a flexible flashlight gripper for a mic, does such exist?...anyway)

• Members

I recently got an onstage folding platform stand - http://onstagestands.com/products/view/116975

It folds and fits into my keyboard case under the keyboard. The 2nd tier, however, is a little cumbersome. I got this dual tier thing that lets you put a small keyboard on one side and another device (computer, mixer, etc...) on the other side - http://onstagestands.com/products/view/117488

However, that 2nd tier isn't quite as versatile as I expected. It doesn't go wide enough to accommodate a keyboard + other device. So, I'm back to probably just using a normal 2nd tier like you'd put on an X stand. The platform stand has those same holes.

I haven't tried one of the mic stands that plugs into the holes on a keyboard stand. I'm not sure I'd be happy with the stability of one. I usually just use a dedicated mic stand with a quality boom. I've seen some compact tripod mic stands that I think I could also fit into the keyboard case along with the stand and keyboard. I may get one of them and see if I can put together a one-trip rig. This particular rig will probably only be used for small gigs, jams, things where I just need a single small keyboard. I've been messing with 2nd tiers on it just in case I decided to use it for more elaborate setups.

The thing I like most about the platform stands is being able to fit a monitor speaker underneath it. It makes my footprint that much smaller.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

hogger wrote:

I recently got an onstage folding platform stand - 

It folds and fits into my keyboard case under the keyboard. The 2nd tier, however, is a little cumbersome. I got this dual tier thing that lets you put a small keyboard on one side and another device (computer, mixer, etc...) on the other side - 

However, that 2nd tier isn't quite as versatile as I expected. It doesn't go wide enough to accommodate a keyboard + other device. So, I'm back to probably just using a normal 2nd tier like you'd put on an X stand. The platform stand has those same holes.

I haven't tried one of the mic stands that plugs into the holes on a keyboard stand. I'm not sure I'd be happy with the stability of one. I usually just use a dedicated mic stand with a quality boom. I've seen some compact tripod mic stands that I think I could also fit into the keyboard case along with the stand and keyboard. I may get one of them and see if I can put together a one-trip rig. This particular rig will probably only be used for small gigs, jams, things where I just need a single small keyboard. I've been messing with 2nd tiers on it just in case I decided to use it for more elaborate setups.

The thing I like most about the platform stands is being able to fit a monitor speaker underneath it. It makes my footprint that much smaller.

Thanks for this post.  I also have that platform but I use mine to the left of me, for my rack and laptop.  But I was considering getting one for my Kurz PC3, due to their portability (I currently use a US Apex, circa 1996, which is a workhorse, but heavy and space-taking in the vehicle.  I've never had problems with stability, when on flat surfaces)

I'm wondering how the platform works with this 2nd teir attachment, different from yours:

http://onstagestands.com/products/view/117159

Archived