Recommend an 88 keyboard please.

meinoz

• Members

Hi All

My teenage son plays piano and we have now set up a music room (less the old piano) with a cheap Casio keyboard we got 10+ yrs ago.

He enjoys playing around with the sounds & effects but he wants more keys.

I was looking at a RD300GX ($1000.00 Aus) but would have to get studio speakers for sound.

Is there another option around the same quality + internal speakers, keys that feel like keys, etc that I should also go chasing.

I'm happy to pay for something that will last, but around $1-$1.5k would be the limit. Keep in mind that in the US things are a lot cheaper.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• Members

The FP-4 was very similar to the RD-300GX... it had less in the way of MIDI controller functions, but it had speakers. So if you liked the feel of the RD-300GX, you might want to try to locate an FP-4. There's also the newer FP-4F, but it will be more expensive, and honestly, I think the action feels worse. You might also want to look at a Casio PX-350.

• Members

Korg sp250 has speakers and a very nice 88-key action and a good damper pedal. The sounds are nothing to get excited about, but it's got MIDI out so your son could run it into a computer if he wants to explore that. For piano, though, it's just fine.

• Members

Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

Looked up a couple.

P35 = $550.00 (seems a little light on & I don't think it would be long before an upgrade request came in)

Mox8 = $1850.00 still need speakers

FP4 = $1800.00

Korg SP250 = $1000.00

So still more research is needed I think.

• Members

What if I could get a decent secondhand P70 for $450?

The problem is I dont really know what all the effects do etc and whether they'd be used.

I just don't want to get something and then find out it's no better than his current old upright and he gets bored with it.

Yep, I know, Im being difficult. :smileyvery-happy:

• Members

alright then, on a budget & down under! Go for the M-Audio Pro Keys 88.

super sound for what YOU are going to use it for, it will save you lots so you

can buy a cheap Behringer Keyboard amp, and still be considerably under the 1000 mark.

And, if need be, you can just plug it directly into your laptop, or PC or home theatre system and

it will sound super! You definitely do not need any of the higher end PRO keyboards for around

your house that your son can play.

I have a Fantom S-88 that I only use if the person who hires me insists I bring it,

I prefer to use my old Nord stage  & a --> "M-Audio ProKeys 88sx" live, that is much better

2 me for just pianos.

I would say get one of these for your son, but they stopped producing them.

This is my advice based on personal, pro experience. You really don't even need a

workstation of any kind yet. No reason to spend the kind of money you could use on a nice

fun vacation to the French Riviera or disney World with instead... LOL!!!

Look into the M-Audio and save a bundle! (IMO)

EDIT: I went to find the wepage for this one in case you are interested,

here is the link:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProKeys88.html

hope this helps!

• Members

Definitely consider the Casio Privia series -- have him check them out in a store.  They're inexpensive but surprisingly good keyboards, and they're also very light and portable, which would be useful if your son decides to play with others or gigging.

The newest Privia is the PX-5S, not available quite yet, which has a great piano and lots of other sounds.  However, it doesn't have built-in speakers, if that's a deal killer.  I was planning to get a MOX8 to replace my current 88, but after learning about the PX-5S I'm likely to go that route instead.  (I have no use for the workstation/sequencing features; I use my computer for that.  Way easier; far better results.)

If built-in speakers are absolutely required, then a PX-350 (or other model), or Yamaha P95 are excellent choices.  Keep the cheap Casio, too!

For the 88, be sure to get a solid stand.  The P95 and PX series have specific stands which are suitable for home use, but you can save money (at the cost of appearance) with a good heavy-duty double-X stand.  If you already have a single-X stand for the old Casio, keep that and set the two keyboards up, stacked vertically.

As mentioned above, the FP4 is also a great keyboard; one of my favorites.  If you can find one used, go for it.  Be sure to try it out to make sure no keys are broken (that they all feel the same).  The FP4 only has a few other sounds, but they're useful ones.  Plus it has audio in so you can daisy chain another keyboard (or CD player, or whatever) and have that play through the FP4's speakers (or whatever the FP4 is plugged into).

BTW, in the long run you'll want to get decent speakers for whatever piano you end up with.  The internal speakers don't do these pianos justice.  But that can be an expense saved for later.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

A friend / coworker, who used to compete and win at classical piano competitions, likes his inexpensive Yamaha digital piano.  I think that the current model that is closest to his is the DGX-640.  They retail for $700 (US dollars) - dunno about AU.

I think that Yamaha piano dealers might have some other piano-only options as well that are a little more expensive but similar (digital piano with self-contained powered speakers and stand).

As you can tell, the guys here also like Casios for inexpensive but highly functional digital piano.  I think they tend to be popular for churches, too.  I am not a church-goer, but when you think about it, a church piano has to stand up to regular use and perform reliably for an audience many times per week.

• Members

I ended up needing a full 88 weighted keyboard. After being disappointed with a lot of the modern digital pianos and controllers, I decided to try an old Yamaha KX88 midi controller. Good weight, a bit on the stiff side, but excellent response for my touch. It is old but, built like a tank. They don't make keyboards like that anymore.

It is just a controller but, a great centerpiece to build around. I use it with the Modart Play modeled piano. I paid about $400 US for the keyboard a few years ago. A bargain in my opinion. The software piano was $99 I think, plus you would need a computer and midi interface.

You also might consider an older 88key synth such as the Korg O1wx Pro. Dated sounds perhaps, but, a professional instrument that is good to learn/experiment with that will likely be a bargain on the used market.

I know these suggestions are a bit left of you inquiry but, something to think about depending on what your son is into and the direction he wants to explore.

Best of luck!

• Members

My take on the Yamaha P70 - I have a P70, got it for around $200 US. I play it a LOT. It's fairly old, doesn't do splits, it does layer, very few frills though. The piano sound on it sounds and feels great to me. It has standard 5-pin MIDI out, but no USB MIDI out. The speakers are pretty powerful on it by digital piano standards. I have played jazz dinner gigs with it with drums and sax, no PA necessary. HOWEVER, when comparing it to an upright, the P70 doesn't really offer anything other than portability, headphone jack, and not needing tuned.

Archived