Yamaha MOX6 vs Korg Krome 61. Which is better for live performance?

gmdband

• Members

I play a vast variety of songs from jazz, R&B, Caribbean, rock, zydeco, blues, etc.  Would the MOX6 or the Krome be better?  Also, I always thought it wierd that Korg doesn't have a USER BANK in most of it's synthesizers.  Doesn't that make it difficult to get at your 20 favorite patches in one keystroke?

• Members

Depends what your needs and expectations are. How they sound is purely subjective, but that would be one reason to select the one or the other. 

Personally, I think that the Yamaha sounds slightly better in some sound categories, but the Korg excels in most other features: 

Unlike the MoX, the Krome has 16 part performances which means you can split/layer up to 16 sounds at once. Even if most people would never need 16 parts, it's far better than having just 4 as it is on the Mo. Four parts can sometimes be not enough and than you have to take some cumbersome workarounds by using a song or even pattern mode. The Krome deals all its multitimbral tasks and controller purposes in one single mode, the combination mode and I prefer that way as opose to yamahas fragmented aproach. 

Regarding User bank:

Korg doesn't need a user bank because ALL sounds anywhere and regardless of what kind (programs, combinations) are rewritable. You may be satisfied with 20 favorites. Others want to have hundreds of additionally bought, programmed sounds. So, I don't see really a problem here. Most Korg keyboards recently have at least one empty bank. Even if they don't, you can rewrite everything and organize it like you want. And Korg always gave you hundreds, even thousand of user memory slots while some others struggle with some 64 or 128 memory locations like in the early eighties. 

• Members

I have always liked the User Bank layout of the Motifs, including the MOX (I have the MOX6).

For live gigging, there's nothing better than having 16 sounds available instantaneously with a single button press.  This is HUGE for me.

I put my "go-to" sounds in the User Banks - often they are edited versions of the Motif presets - my grand piano, a couple of different electric pianos, a couple of different organs, a couple of strings and pads, and a few lead sounds.  Yamaha's design whereby the 16 front panel buttons can each access a different sound is just too cool.

Yes, I do like how Korg allows you to edit a preset and then just save it to the original location.  With this, you can basically tweak the entire preset library to your own preferences without using any of the User Banks locations.  The same goes for the Roland Jupiter-50 that I recently purchased.  

I do not believe you can get this kind of one-button access with the Krome.

• Members

keybdwizrd wrote:

I have always liked the User Bank layout of the Motifs, including the MOX (I have the MOX6).

For live gigging, there's nothing better than having 16 sounds available instantaneously with a single button press.  This is HUGE for me.

I do not believe you can get this kind of one-button access with the Krome.

Regarding the layout, it has nothing to do with the user bank. The layout applies to all sounds, regardless whether they are in a preset or user bank.

On the Krome, and generally on Korg workstation, something similar can be achieved. When you change the bank, it's a one button press and the sound under the same number is instantly recalled. 

If you are in Bank A, Number 014 and you press Bank B, than the patch under the number 014 in the bank B is recalled.

On the Krome there are 5 program banks (not counting the GM) and 4 combination banks. So, it's not quite like on the MoX, but you have at least 5 or 4 slots where you can save your setups in a way so that you can recall them instantly. On the Kronos (even on the Triton Studio, Extreme or M3) there are 14 user banks which can be instantly recalled in that way. 

Another way  is to select the sounds on the screen. You can pull down a window which shows sounds by a category system. You can even create your own category and put the most used sounds there. It's a possibility but personally, I don't like to select sounds on the screen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Are the brass / strings / winds / other ochestral sounds better on one or the other?

And what about ease of use? 

I've always been familiar with Yamaha main functions but the Korg Krome is pretty attractive. Any opinions?

Archived