Need help identifying mystery keyboard find

the lemur

• Members

Hi there,

This is my first post and I joined HC specifically to find this information, so I hope someone can help.

I found a keyboard the other day - the information on the underside indicates that it was made by Bontempi and the model number is given as K410.10. However, there doesn't seem to be any information on that model online.

It's about 3-4 octaves with a speaker on the right and has no buttons, not even a power switch. At the back, on the underside, there appears to be a kind of power pack (possibly removable, but no luck so far) with two ribbon-type cables coming from it. One of these has a 9-hole DE-9F plug, the other looks like a 50-pin SCSI.

Pardon my ignorance, but is this some sort of MIDI keyboard? Is it essentially useless unless you connect it to a computer?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

• Members

Hi, welcome!

Photos would be helpful, if you can provide them.  Are you sure that the D-connector on the back has 9 pins and not 15?  If it has 15 pins, then it was meant to be connected to a SoundBlaster card (or similar) on a PC.  that wouldn't have been unusual about 15 years ago.  If it truly has 9 pins, then I don't know what it's for.

A standard MIDI connector would be a DIN-style connector, which is 5 pins arrayed in a half circle about 1/2 inch in diameter.  If it doesn't have this, then it doesn't have a standard MIDI connection.

I'm at a loss to explain a "SCSI" connector, though.  Is it the kind with the little wire ears on each side with the connected being mostly a slot, rather than a collection of little pin holes?  Again, photos might help.

Archived