Yamaha CP-70

Crazyfoo

• Members

what you guys think is a fair price for one of these?

to be quite honest, I need one like I need a root canal but it would be a great toy to have in a home studio.

Theres a guy selling one in good shape and I offered him $1,000. I certainly don't want to offend him but 'to me' that's what it's worth. I supposed if I was a collector and wanted one badly, I would pay full asking price but that's about the most I would pay.

my only hope is that I'm not out of touch and I'm not looking like 'that guy' who is trying to rip him off.

what you guys think, is my offer ok or am I out to lunch

good condition, all parts present bit no midi

• Members

I think $1K is more than fair. Not sure what value they have beyond nostalgia at this point, really. Unless it's in really great shape (as in never used on the road which was the entire point of these pianos in the first place) I wouldn't think one is worth more than about 500-600 bucks.

The CP70Ms (the ones that had MIDI) go for a bit more.

• Members

Guido nailed it. I donated mine in 2000, after owning it for 20 years. It was beat to hell when I bought it, but it worked perfectly and I got it for just over half what folks were waiting in line to pay for a new one in 1980. I loved that piano, but boy was I happy to finally get rid of it, thanks to technology. I think I wrote it off at $500, and they're worth even less now than then (but as I said, mine was beat, on the outside.) I remember seeing pristine ones going for $1K at the time, and I believe I've seen that recently as well. I've also seen them go for considerably less (on ebay).

$1K is a generous offer, even if it's in very good condition, anything but a museum piece, or as Guido says, one with MIDI. I might have kept mine had it had MIDI. (IIRC, it's MIDI out only, but with a real grand piano action that's still a great thing to have, especially these days with great software pianos.)

Archived