korg ms20 mini - 100% analog

zzzxtreme

• Members

The price is low because the original was pretty simple and now it can be replicated using surface mount components. I would have been more interested in a module alone without the weird-sized key, even at the same price. I am totally turned off by the odd keybed. I guess I am just weird. But you all knew that already.

Also I am told that, just like the original, the pitch CV is V/Hz and not V/Oct, which may or may not matter and/or be an inconvenience to you. The unit does take MIDI in, though.

Korg will sell a ton of these, they will sound awesome, and the re-emergence of analog synths will continue. It is what this might open up later on that interests me the most.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

zzzxtreme wrote:

Wonder if we would see monopoly mini?

The pic of the 80's Japanese Car box got me thinking, if it was placed there on purpose then I can confirm they chose a company that keeps re-releasing old products.. They also hinted if things sell they will consider more stuff... Could be just the beginning

• Members

The thing, that I would want the most in the world would be a PS-2013;  a sensible, but full featured 4 voice version of PS-3300 might be surprisingly affordable. I don't quite remember the figures I played with, but after toying around with inflation- and currency converters some time ago, I remember, that it looked like a very rough price estimation of one voice would have been some where around $500.

Its very, very likely, that Korg is going after more easily marketable features, like polyphony and sleaker unit, as well as more well known name, but after playing around with a thought of having that kind of monster in my cave makes everything else feel lame.

...and...iirc, the MS-20 was using the components of the PS-range.

• Members

I was thinking this but only with the Polysix. I love the Polysix but the M/P is a bit more interesting. Both those synths used SSM filters though, so as long as Korg is recycling MS-10/20 filters, it wouldn't sound the same. Might be more like the Poly61 which used the MS-20 mkII filter, only minus the 61's nasty digital square wave.

But it'd be interesting, and at these prices, who would complain?

Archived