Jerry Gioldsmith Synthesizer gem...

EerieDreamZ

• Members

Man, It must be a good month for me cause I'm on a serious posting roll here lol (and not just the nonsensical GODDY stuff either ;)

Anyways,...

If you get the chance to hear it (Its hard to find now that it is sold out), I HIGHLY recommend the Jerry Goldsmith score to the film "RUNAWAY". (The really cheesy 80's Tom Selleck, Gene Simmons film)

This score has a TON of Vintage synth action goin on in it and is some really nice ear-candy for the long drive.

Quotes from the Liner notes...

[Yet Goldsmith also admitted mixed feelings about the sonic results of the project: "I wasn't all that moved by the funny noises. But the sounds triggered ideas in my mind- I wonder how I could get a particular sound acoustically".

In the early 70s Goldsmith purchased an early MiniMoog, an ARP2600 &2500. As technology improved Goldsmith added a modular Roland System 100. [but increasing frustration with the instruments limitations and time-consuming nature coupled with a 1980 flood of the Goldsmith home, led him to give the lot to his son Joel. A few short months later Joel would be at his father's side during the month of Runaway scoring sessions...]

Interesting stuff :)

• Members

Thanks for the tip Eerie...

I very much like Goldsmith's music but haven't heard this one before.

I think Runaway was scored just before he recorded the music for "Legend" in Jan '85. On the latter Goldsmith used a YAMAHA DX-7, ROLAND JP-8, MEMORYMOOG, OBERHEIM OB-8, DMX & DSX, and Sequential PROPHET-T8 plus a full orchestra and chorus. I suppose he made use of most of these synths on Runaway too.

Have you heard his soundtrack to "Logan's Run" from 1976? the Arp 2500 is all over it.

Micke

• Members

I think Runaway was scored just before he recorded the music for "Legend" in Jan '85. On the latter Goldsmith used a YAMAHA DX-7, ROLAND JP-8, MEMORYMOOG, OBERHEIM OB-8, DMX & DSX, and Sequential PROPHET-T8 plus a full orchestra and chorus. I suppose he made use of most of these synths on Runaway too.

Have you heard his soundtrack to "Logan's Run" from 1976? the Arp 2500 is all over it.

Micke

Oh yes! I have quite a lot of Goldsmith material (around 100 cds) spanning a good 40 years of his career. The Logan's Run Expanded score is one of my all time fav.

He uses synths on other scores as well:

Link

Freud (1962) "which imported primitive electronic elements ;)

Planet of the Apes

Shock Treatment (uses Theremin)

The Illustrated man

In Harm's Way

The satan bug

Total Recall

and others I can't remember at the moment ;)

• Members

He uses synths on other scores as well:

Link

Freud (1962) "which imported primitive electronic elements
;)
Planet of the Apes

Shock Treatment (uses Theremin)

The Illustrated man

In Harm's Way

The satan bug

Total Recall

and others I can't remember at the moment
;)

Wow..100 cd's with Goldsmith! not bad.

also 1987's Lionheart (which I have) is pretty heavy on its use of synths

P.S. Eerie, check your PM's

regards,

Micke

• Members

I love Jerry Goldsmith's work. His blending of synthesizers into his orchestral scores was almost as big an influence for me buying a synth as were Carpenter's scores.

Goldsmith.jpg

P.S. Mick, I finally saw your PM and responded. I wish this place sent an email when a PM would come in.

• Members

Also like James Horner (aerly 80's stuff

Interestingly, Horner was aping a lot of Goldsmith's cues. The "Battle" track from BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS has a part that is an exact copy of the Klingon music, in STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE. Horner's GORKY PARK (a great score) borrowed Goldsmith's echo sounds from the ALIEN score.

The irony? Horner became hot by scoring the sequels to Goldsmith scored originals - STAR TREK 2 and ALIENS!

• 6 years later...
  • Members

Mike Conway wrote:

I love Jerry Goldsmith's work. His blending of synthesizers into his orchestral scores was almost as big an influence for me buying a synth as were Carpenter's scores.

Goldsmith.jpg

P.S. Mick, I finally saw your PM and responded. I wish this place sent an email when a PM would come in.

Whats the circa on this photo and can you identify the keyboards in his arsenal? I have a sneaking suspicion about at least two of them.

Thanks!

• Members

mikael488 wrote:

Micke

Could you please tell me what synths Mr. Goldsmith used for RAMBO: FIRST BLOOD PART II, in particular, the "snake rattle" sound heard over the open title card?

Goldsmith , at least in the movies I've seen that he's scored, always chose synth tones/textures that were just spot on for the scenes in question, such as the one he used for the Klingon/V'ger Cloud sequence

in STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE.

Archived