No announcement yet.

Jerry Gioldsmith Synthesizer gem...

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry Gioldsmith Synthesizer gem...

Man, It must be a good month for me cause I'm on a serious posting roll here lol (and not just the nonsensical GODDY stuff either

Anyways,...

If you get the chance to hear it (Its hard to find now that it is sold out), I HIGHLY recommend the Jerry Goldsmith score to the film "RUNAWAY". (The really cheesy 80's Tom Selleck, Gene Simmons film)

This score has a TON of Vintage synth action goin on in it and is some really nice ear-candy for the long drive.

Quotes from the Liner notes...

[Yet Goldsmith also admitted mixed feelings about the sonic results of the project: "I wasn't all that moved by the funny noises. But the sounds triggered ideas in my mind- I wonder how I could get a particular sound acoustically".

In the early 70s Goldsmith purchased an early MiniMoog, an ARP2600 &2500. As technology improved Goldsmith added a modular Roland System 100. [But increasing frustration with the instruments limitations and time-consuming nature coupled with a 1980 flood of the Goldsmith home, led him to give the lot to his son Joel. A few short months later Joel would be at his father's side during the month of Runaway scoring sessions...]

Interesting stuff

Goddy!
    www.lastband.com
    www.myspace.com/tlboe

Comment

Thanks for the tip Eerie...

I very much like Goldsmith's music but haven't heard this one before.

I think Runaway was scored just before he recorded the music for "Legend" in Jan '85. On the latter Goldsmith used a YAMAHA DX-7, ROLAND JP-8, MEMORYMOOG, OBERHEIM OB-8, DMX & DSX, and Sequential PROPHET-T8 plus a full orchestra and chorus. I suppose he made use of most of these synths on Runaway too.

Have you heard his soundtrack to "Logan's Run" from 1976? the Arp 2500 is all over it.

Micke

Comment

• workstation M.I
        workstation M.I commented
        Editing a comment

mikael488 wrote:

I think Runaway was scored just before he recorded the music for "Legend" in Jan '85. On the latter Goldsmith used a YAMAHA DX-7, ROLAND JP-8, MEMORYMOOG, OBERHEIM OB-8, DMX & DSX, and Sequential PROPHET-T8 plus a full orchestra and chorus. I suppose he made use of most of these synths on Runaway too.

Have you heard his soundtrack to "Logan's Run" from 1976? the Arp 2500 is all over it.

Micke

Could you please tell me what synths Mr. Goldsmith used for RAMBO: FIRST BLOOD PART II, in particular, the "snake rattle" sound heard over the open title card?

Goldsmith , at least in the movies I've seen that he's scored, always chose synth tones/textures that were just spot on for the scenes in question, such as the one he used for the Klingon/V'ger Cloud sequence

in STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE.

Micke

Oh yes! I have quite a lot of Goldsmith material (around 100 cds) spanning a good 40 years of his career. The Logan's Run Expanded score is one of my all time fav.

He uses synths on other scores as well:

Link
      Freud (1962) "which imported primitive electronic elements
      Planet of the Apes
      Shock Treatment (uses Theremin)
      The Illustrated man
      In Harm's Way
      The satan bug
      Total Recall

and others I can't remember at the moment

Comment

schweet! big fan of Goldsmith. i gotta try and find that Logan's Run soundtrack. cheers!
        "If you need a pilot, I'm the BEST there is.....my ship is the FASTEST there is.....but it's gonna cost you.........ALOT. I don't take money,....only GIRLIE GIGGLES."

Comment

schweet! big fan of Goldsmith. i gotta try and find that Logan's Run soundtrack. cheers!

Here ya go

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=2555

Comment

Here ya go

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=2555

awesome. thanks for the link! cheers!
            "If you need a pilot, I'm the BEST there is.....my ship is the FASTEST there is.....but it's gonna cost you.........ALOT. I don't take money,....only GIRLIE GIGGLES."

Comment

He uses synths on other scores as well:

Link
              Freud (1962) "which imported primitive electronic elements
              Planet of the Apes
              Shock Treatment (uses Theremin)
              The Illustrated man
              In Harm's Way
              The satan bug
              Total Recall

and others I can't remember at the moment

Wow..100 cd's with Goldsmith! not bad.

also 1987's Lionheart (which I have) is pretty heavy on its use of synths

P.S. Eerie, check your PM's

regards,
              Micke

Comment

Wow..100 cd's with Goldsmith! not bad.

also 1987's Lionheart (which I have) is pretty heavy on its use of synths

P.S. Eerie, check your PM's

regards,
                Micke

Answered Definitely

Comment

I love Jerry Goldsmith's work. His blending of synthesizers into his orchestral scores was almost as big an influence for me buying a synth as were Carpenter's scores.

P.S. Mick, I finally saw your PM and responded. I wish this place sent an email when a PM would come in.
                  "Unofficial" OASYS DVD

Comment

• workstation M.I
                    workstation M.I commented
                    Editing a comment

Mike Conway wrote:
                    I love Jerry Goldsmith's work. His blending of synthesizers into his orchestral scores was almost as big an influence for me buying a synth as were Carpenter's scores.

P.S. Mick, I finally saw your PM and responded. I wish this place sent an email when a PM would come in.

Whats the circa on this photo and can you identify the keyboards in his arsenal? I have a sneaking suspicion about at least two of them.

Thanks!

I wish this place sent an email when a PM would come in.

It does if you tick the right box!
                  Last edited by Gus Lozada : Today at 09:57 AM.

Comment

It does if you tick the right box!

I see the little box on the top right, but often, I don't check the site for a few days. Is there an option to get email notification, like I just did for your post response?
                    "Unofficial" OASYS DVD

Comment

Go to User CP > Edit Options > Receive Email Notification of New Private Messages and tick the box.
                      Last edited by Gus Lozada : Today at 09:57 AM.

Comment

Never said I wasn't a little dense. Thanks!!
                        "Unofficial" OASYS DVD

Comment

the film "RUNAWAY". (The really cheesy 80's Tom Selleck, Gene Simmons film)
                          )

I love that film....saw it when it first came out....mechanical spiders and everything!

Comment

Working...
                          X