Chords for Santana's Europa, Please?

• Members

Would anyone mind sharing the organ chords to Santana's Europa? I just can't get this right. Any help would be MUCH appreciated. thanks !!

I have the Gato Barbieri version (sax plays lead), which goes like this:

1st chord Gm, hold... then:

1st Cycle:

| Cm9 / / / | F / / / | BbM7 / / / | EbM7 / / / | Am7 / / / | D7 / / / | Gm / / / |

2nd Cycle:

| Cm9 / / / | F / / / | BbM7 / / / | EbM7 / / / | Am7 / / / | D7 / / / | G / / / |

Repeat endlessly while sax or guitar wanks off on endless riffs. :thu:

Notice the only difference betw. 1st Cycle and 2nd Cycle is the G major chord at the end. :cool:

... repeat endlessly while sax or guitar does endless riffs and variations on this pattern

• Members

o and btw gigman do you play that or how do you know that??

Sax player in my wedding band likes to play it (the Gato Barbieri version). Great sax man, btw - played w/Southside Johnny (still does, on occasion - was on Conan O'Brien in Sept. w/Southside and LaBamba's Big Band), Rod Stewart, Aretha Franklin... he even played w/Duran Duran at Live Aid in the 80's.

Now he's a school music teacher in New Jersey and plays weddings/banquets on weekends w/occasional jazz club gigs thrown in. :wave:

• Members

And if your wondering why the colors.

I use Microsofts OneNote on my laptop and keep that handy for chord charts and lyricsduring practice. I found that creating the chord table and coloring it was easier to follow during practice.

I've attached a fingering chart as well if your interested! Yeah! Likewise, I was having a hard time remembering the chords initially, so I noted them down.

Note, in the Bb7sus, I switched the lower Bb to the upper octave, it was easier to play.

The purists out there may pick this apart, but this works for us! And I'm by no means a fancy player...so I keep it simple.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

These chords are pretty much right on although I prefer the Cm instead of the Am for the keys. Of course you could play the bass on C with the Am chord. Thanks so much it does go very well with Gato's rendition which is the version we play.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Gigman, those are not the right chords at all for Europa in key of Cm as he plays it...Here are the correct chords, and they don't end on Gm and GMaj, they end on Cm and C Major Seventh:

EUROPA                                    SANTANA

Segment A

Progression One: Cm          Fm7

Archived