Reviews of Music Computing's StudioBLADE?

• Members

I came across a workstation keyboard named the StudioBLADE which is manufactured by a smaller company called Music Computing. Does anyone own one of these and wouldn't mind giving a brief review of the keyboard? My primary purpose of buying a keyboard is to compose music, and I'm considering either the Korg Kronos (when it comes out) or maybe this.

• Members

Looks like a keyboard with a cheap PC built into it, or they also have another one that has a cutout to set a laptop into and connect it with either 2x USB or 1x USB and 1x firewire. Most of the components look like they're off the shelf and unless they're using a really nice keybed, it seems to be pretty over priced for what it is. Do you want a midi controller and a PC running VSTs or do you want a hardware synth?

studioblade-front.jpg

• Members

2011-01-16%2019.16.51.jpg

This is my take on the same thing. All together with software, I probably came in just under 2000$ For me, i'd rather have the flexibility to add and remove controllers and change the configuration as I need rather than be tied to something in a shell like that.

• Members

Here is a review (reasonably objective):

http://musicindustrynewswire.com/2011/01/13/min3552_035711.php

The owner of MusicComputing is Victor Wong, former CEO of OpenLabs. After he left OpenLabs he started a new company (Music Computing).

The only thing potential problem I see with it is the keybed, which is an M-Audio Keystation ES -- http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Keystation88es.html

This keybed is probably what allows the product to be so light (28 pounds for the 61 and 32 pounds for the 88). The StudioBlade products are available for purchase (not vaporware).

If you are interested in this type of product you should also look at the OpenLabs products.

The MusicComputing StudioBlade and OpenLabs neKo/miKo products are effectively Windows PCs with an integrated music keyboard, audio interface, and control surface. As Windows computers (now running Windows 7) you can run any software that runs on a Windows 7 PC.

• Members

After reading the review and looking at the pictures, I'd say it has some potential. I'm no fan of M-Audio keybeds, but I do like the touch screen and the ample knobs and pads.

If you factor in the cost of a USB keyboard, comparable knob controller, pad controller, the computer itself, touch screen, Windows 7 x64 and x32, various dedicated software, and audio interface, etc., you're probably paying $500-$700 over what it would cost to assemble a similar system in separate pieces. I guess it just depends on how badly you want it all in one box.

Their hardware upgrade prices are kind of steep, though. If I had one, I'd upgrade the RAM and HD myself and hook it up to a larger free-standing touch screen like the reviewer did.

It would be a nice Reaktor, Blue, and Omnisphere machine, though.

• Members

It looks like a one-stop-shop for someone who wants to get into computer audio with everything but powered monitors and/or headphones. I agree with the Music Industry News reviewer that the buttons, knobs, and sliders all look like they came from Livid Instruments. I would not be surprised of the boards underneath and control circuitry are all from Livid too. It makes sense and jives with the "built with off-the-shelf components" look of the rest of the system.

Austin is a new Silicon Valley of sorts - lots of electronics and software companies forming and breaking.

• Members

So, does that thing offer anything, hardware or software-wise, that can't be had by buying the components separately? I mean, aside from putting it all in industrial microwave case?

Both MusicComputing's StudioBlade and OpenLabs neKo/miKo come with software that allows you to configure and use the controllers. I think the OpenLabs product (Riff) also is a VST host.

• Members

i had emailed them about making an 88 key version of the keydock that was weighted hammer action instead of semi-weighted. they said it would add another $2000 on top of the original price. ouch

blade.jpg

they're touchscreen controllers are pretty cool too but the only problem is you get 1 touch at a time on osx (pc its 2 and you can upgrade to 6 simultaneous touch $$$).

the way apple is heading with osx lion and integrating iOS features it would be a pity if you spent $2000 on a touch screen and it becomes obsolete with an update, the company goes out of business, etc.

*edit

i knew i had seen similar designs before: http://lividinstruments.com/hardware_ohm64.php

64_comp_site3.jpg

• Members

http://www.musiccomputing.com/ikeydock

ikeydock-front.jpg

They also offer this plugin version for those that want to provide their own laptop. I seem to have forgotten I blogged about it myself.

I saw those too and my biggest complaints about them at least with having a macbook pro hooked up is that out of all the features on the mac, they only take advantage of the USB. No firewire or SPDIF support and most importantly, include a built in power supply for the laptop.

• Members

As much as I can try to justify getting a new macbook pro, I want to hold off until some other companies start making audio interfaces. It's cool that Motu has already announced their plans to do it, but I want to wait until a few other companies release some competition as well. My one other concern is if they're going to release any type of hub for the new thunderbolt ports. It'll be nice to have firewire drives on a separate bus from the audio interfaces on the thunderbolt port, but not if it comes at the cost of losing the ability to have an external monitor hooked up.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

To Whom it may concern.  Please BEWARE.   ALL ITEM BOUGHT FROM MUSIC COMPUTING are sold with no EXPRESSED GUARENTEE and this company accepts NO RETURNS.   They upsell their products and then when they dont work, they refuse to accept returns, they do not respoind to emails.  After I posted negative reviews about the copmpany they threatened me with legal action.   They are now bullying me and Im just a hard working father trying to do honest business.  Please BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY.  DO YOUR RESEARCH.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Archived